Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why can't I find this barber half in the PCGS database?

csdotcsdot Posts: 684 ✭✭✭✭
It's a 1909 Barber half dollar with certification number 25373809. I've looked it up several times and keep getting the result that it is not in the PCGS system? Is it a fake, or am I doing something wrong in my search?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-Barber-Half-Dollar-PCGS-MS-64-Lafayette-Rarities-1161-/271867495833?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f4c90c599

Thanks.

Here is the message I received:

We're sorry. That PCGS Cert Number was not found in our database. Please double check the number and try again. To speak with PCGS Customer Service, call us at 1-800-447-8848.

Comments

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Call during normal work hours .

• Options
    RonnyRonny Posts: 94

<< <i>It's a 1909 Barber half dollar with certification number 25373809. I've looked it up several times and keep getting the result that it is not in the PCGS system? Is it a fake, or am I doing something wrong in my search?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-Barber-Half-Dollar-PCGS-MS-64-Lafayette-Rarities-1161-/271867495833?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f4c90c599

Thanks.

Here is the message I received:

We're sorry. That PCGS Cert Number was not found in our database. Please double check the number and try again. To speak with PCGS Customer Service, call us at 1-800-447-8848. >>

+1, so weird!

Cheers, RonO
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is most likely a newly slabbed coin and the database has not been updated yet to reflect the cert number. This happens to me when I receive new coins back from PCGS, too.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can tell by the number that it is NOT a new coin. New ones start with 319.
  • Options
    csdotcsdot Posts: 684 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You can tell by the number that it is NOT a new coin. New ones start with 319. >>

That's what concerns me.
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You can tell by the number that it is NOT a new coin. New ones start with 319. >>

Huh? Since when does the certification number of a PCGS slabbed coin mean anything about when it was slabbed?
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Huh? Since when does the certification number of a PCGS slabbed coin mean anything about when it was slabbed? >>

For a long time.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Huh? Since when does the certification number of a PCGS slabbed coin mean anything about when it was slabbed? >>

For a long time. >>

Care to expand on this? I have seen coins graded within the past month with certs in the 25XXXXXX range. I don't understand what the reference to the "319" is above...
    -Brandon
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    as far as the holder, the plastic is not the new one because pcgs added two "label holders(?)" on the label area and four circles of different sizes around the gasket. This one has none of those features.

also, the listing has 14 days remaining. ebay does 10day then the next longest is 30 day. So, this has been out there for at least 2 weeks. But I suspect longer since the plastic seems to be a previous generation.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

For a long time. >>

Care to expand on this? I have seen coins graded within the past month with certs in the 25XXXXXX range. I don't understand what the reference to the "319" is above... >>

I think Wabbit misunderstood. The cert number has been randomly assigned, including the beginning digits, for a very long time.
    Zircon Cases - Protect Your Vintage Slabs www.ZirconCases.com
    Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

For a long time. >>

Care to expand on this? I have seen coins graded within the past month with certs in the 25XXXXXX range. I don't understand what the reference to the "319" is above... >>

I think Wabbit misunderstood. The cert number has been randomly assigned, including the beginning digits, for a very long time. >>

Yea..but there are some clusters of starting numbers that seem to come from the same time.

Back to the OP, I had a rattler with the same issue. Sometimes it just happens

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's very odd why the coin doesn't show up on the database- both the coin and holder look legitimate.
    I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    valente151valente151 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

For a long time. >>

I think Wabbit misunderstood. The cert number has been randomly assigned, including the beginning digits, for a very long time. >>

You'll find after doing enough submissions at shows, that 25xxxxxx are reserved for coins graded at shows. Yes, while there is some randomness, you can see a general upward numeric trend, around 319xxxx to 32xxxx right now, but shows grades are given 25xxxxxx. Thats why you continue to see 25xxxxxx certs being added as the normal subs continue to go up numerically. Hope this isn't "secret" info, but all my shows subs have followed this, I thought others knew it...
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

For a long time. >>

You'll find after doing enough submissions at shows, that 25xxxxxx are reserved for coins graded at shows. Yes, while there is some randomness, you can see a general upward numeric trend, around 319xxxx to 32xxxx right now, but shows grades are given 25xxxxxx. Thats why you continue to see 25xxxxxx certs being added as the normal subs continue to go up numerically. Hope this isn't "secret" info, but all my shows subs have followed this, I thought others knew it... >>

That's not completely accurate. I have 20-25 coins with certs starting with 25xxxxxx that were issued from my mail in submissions.
  • Options
    There is not any "trend" in certification numbers that I have ever seen or heard of...and the disagreement among those who apparently/supposedly "know" what they are talking about (DIMEMAN, Wabbit) is proof of that. Sorry to derail this thread, but the cert # of this coin is not relevant to how long ago it was graded...or to why it is not in the lookup. That was my point.
    -Brandon

• Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know, even low tier TPG's like SEGS have a data point for Date Graded, along with the normal Date, Grade, Population etc. Maybe PCGS could start doing that. It would be extremely simple and beneficial to collectors.
    www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options

<< <i>You know, even low tier TPG's like SEGS have a data point for Date Graded, along with the normal Date, Grade, Population etc. Maybe PCGS could start doing that. It would be extremely simple and beneficial to collectors. >>

I am sure the date information is in the databases. But, I think this information is purposefully held close to the chest at TPGs. Mostly, IMO, because there are general "feelings" (or call them superstitions, or whatever) that certain eras of grading were tighter than others. This information could be used to in some way try to talk down a coins merits if it came from a "loose" period (or vice versa, ask for more money because it came from a perceived tighter period).

-Brandon

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no way to tell if it is a newer holder...IE the new green hologram on the back since the seller didn't give a full Rev. picture.

I had a nice 93-S dollar PCGS had flagged the cert # on for some reason. Cost me a sale. I had to go through the same process as having a coin released from someone else's registry set. I had to send pictures etc. This was an older holder also!
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    I would message the seller with your concerns, and then allow him to sort it out with PCGS (or not). Until the cert verification form actually verifies the cert, I wouldn't touch it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file