Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Replica Grosso of Henry VII? Can anyone explain what I have here?

As the title indicates, I'm 99.8% certain this is not genuine. But the case isn't terribly recent, either. Anybody know anything about these? Care to point me to where I could find out more? Thanks!

mirabela

Comments

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    I think it's a replica grosso of Milan. Don't have my references at hand but I think the original is from the 14th century.
    Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From what I can gather, that's true -- but does anybody know the story on these reproductions? I haven't been able to locate any others -- whether sale records, discussions of them, or anything else. The case looks like it is at least 50 years old.
    mirabela
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    here's a discussion of the original link

Don't know the story of the restrikes but I have several well made and cased coins of the Papacy based on originals from the 17th and 18th century. My sense is that these were generally made in the 70s or 80s and were distributed by a Rome bank, I assume as advertising to better customers. The name on your case seems to be a Milanese commercial firm.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    Interesting, thanks much -- that's a start.
    mirabela
  • Options
    Anybody else know anything about restrikes of these?
    mirabela