Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Need some help on a variety, Washington quarters collectors

I have a 1941S large S, Breen 4307, FS 013.5. It's currently raw. I'm probably going to slab it in the near future. I grade it MS65, with a shot at MS66. Is this variety of interest to those who collect quarters?

I'm not looking to sell it. I like collecting varieties and even though it's listed as being worth a premium I'd like to hear from those who collect the series.

Thanks!

Dan

Comments

• CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an interest in such varieties. I have the 1941 cent and dime with both large and small S, and a nickel that was labelled as a large S, but I think it's just a RPM . I'd like to have a quarter, eventually. Have never seen a '41 half with a large S.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • I just got interested in varieties after buying "The Best of the Washington Quarter Doubled Die Varieties". In my collection I found a 1939S 1-O-V (WDDO-001) currently in an NGC MS65 holder (not attributed as such), a 1950 1-R-IV (FS#25-019), and a 1963 1-O-II
    (FS#25-023). Both the 1950 and 1963 are raw MS64's. Man, was I surprised! And what a blast! I only wish I knew what kind of market there is for Washington varieties or some sort of population report. This book tells me the 1939S is "very rare" and worth about $275.

Fun, isn't it?

Andy image
    We are finite beings, limited in all our powers, and, hence, our conclusions are not only relative, but they should ever be held subject to correction. Positive assurance is unattainable. The dogmatist is the only one who claims to possess absolute certainty.

First POTD 9/19/05!!

• the 1941s trumpet tail or large mintmark comes in at least 4 types,all very tough in mint state thay are MMS-002.1,MMS-002.2,MMS-002.3 and the rare MMS-002.4 collecting Washington varieties is starting to have some effect in the past few years as new books become available.

ZAPS COINS
    Bob

still looking for a AU or better 1943 (11-O-1) double die
    collect all high grade Washingtons also Washingtons double dies,overmint marks and RPM's always buying
  • DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    Thanks for the info Bob.

It's one thing to see value in print, it's another to actually know someone collects a variety or is willing to pay you for it.

I've been collecting varieties for about 12 years. I've been credited with finding a few new ones too. It's a lot of fun, and rewarding if you can find some good ones. About 6 years ago, I bought a 1934 quarter from a dealer's auction board for $5.25. It was the DDO, but wasn't listed as such. PCGS graded it AU50. The way I looked at it was the dealer gave me about $150.00 of credit toward future purchases. image

Andy,

Yes it is fun!! Sometimes I spend more time looking for varieties at shows or coin shops than I do just looking at the coins themselves.

Jim,

That's how I find a lot of varieties, looking at the slabbed coins. Suprising how many collectors don't look at the slabbed coins for varieties. Perhaps they assume the grading service does it automatically. One collector I know thinks I'm crazy for collecting varieties. He doesn't think they're worth bothering with because no one is going to pay the premium. Even after I point out prices for some of the rarer one. Oh well, one less collector I have to compete with. image
    Dan

• << <i>collecting Washington varieties is starting to have some effect in the past few years as new books become available. >>

Bob,

Could you share the names of some of the cool Washington varity books you use or know of?

Thanks,

Andy image
    We are finite beings, limited in all our powers, and, hence, our conclusions are not only relative, but they should ever be held subject to correction. Positive assurance is unattainable. The dogmatist is the only one who claims to possess absolute certainty.

First POTD 9/19/05!!

• The Washington books I live by, are first and foremost WALTER BREEN'S complete encycopedia of US coins. This book got me started some time ago, after completing all of the Washington varieties in his book, I needed more (BOOK#2) quarter double die listings by DAN VOLLMER now out of print.I have found a few copies of this book and will sell a few of them. (BOOK#3) the best of the Washington quarter double die varieties, by John A. Wexler and Kevin Flynn (BOOK#4 and #5) the Washington quarter dollar book an attribution and pricing guide by Dr James Wiles.These two book are very in depth of the Washington's double dies RPM ect. these two books have the complete CONECA files 1932 to 1944s Dr Wiles will have volume 3 early next year 1945 to 1949d also a good book is the The
    complete guide to Washington quarters by John Feigenbaum!!! most of these books you can buy from J.T.Stanton
    ZAPS COINS
    Bob

WANTED 1943 AU or better (11-O-1)
    collect all high grade Washingtons also Washingtons double dies,overmint marks and RPM's always buying
  • New to this thread and looking for some direction. Generally speaking where is the best place to find info on the Varieties that are listed on PCGS? I have a bunch of silver washington quarters and it seems like every one has a variety listed but very few of the PCGS images actually show exactly what to look for to ID the variety. My main group is morgans so I am looking at vamworld for those but what about other types not shown in detail on PCGS? thoughts?

Sup. Morgans are cool - So are Ducatis.

• NorCalJackNorCalJack Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KARacing said:
    New to this thread and looking for some direction. Generally speaking where is the best place to find info on the Varieties that are listed on PCGS? I have a bunch of silver washington quarters and it seems like every one has a variety listed but very few of the PCGS images actually show exactly what to look for to ID the variety. My main group is morgans so I am looking at vamworld for those but what about other types not shown in detail on PCGS? thoughts?

The best place to look is Variety Vista website. It has photos of most coins.

varietyvista.com/

• CBTL2CBTL2 Posts: 71 ✭✭

PCGS list the various varieties on the Washington quarters the will attribute but the one thing they lack is giving you any valuable information about the variety. I would like to see them post photos of both the obverse and reverse of the coin with red arrows pointing out the details they look for when verifying the variety. Some are obvious but many are hard to see. Varietyvista.com is a great resource while hunting for such coins. Many coins have multiple varieties on the same date and mint mark but only certain FS varieties are acknowledged by PCGS so it it very important you have good information to help you in your search. Also make sure when buying raw coins that have varieties listed on them that you verify it to be true. It is easy to get burned in the hunt for varieties. Verify, verify, verify is the best advice I can give you.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

wow, a 20 year bump

the CherryPicker's Guide published by Whitman gives the FS- numbers and pictures, which frequently is not shown very well. They are supposed to be selling a new edition later this year with more new varieties. The old editions are pricey on the used
    market.

NGC will certify more varieties than PCGS and does have some additional helpful pictures.