Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Unopened is apparently def NOT dead - Collect Auctions

wow, some serious prices in the latest Collect Auctions that closed. We all know these come from a great provence, but for mostly vending only, some strong prices (otheres were right where expected):

1975 Topps Baseball Vending Unopened CASE - $81,445
1970-71 Topps Basketball 2nd Series Vending Box (500) - Final Price: $19,404 (how cool was this btw? never seen anything like it)
1980-81 Topps Basketball Vending Box (500)- Final Price: $9,615 (wow!)
1972 Topps Baseball 3rd Series Vending Box (500) - $8,741 (for a '72?)
1977 Topps Baseball Vending Box (500) - Final Price: $2,670
1985 Topps Football Rack Box (24) - $757
1980 Topps Football Vending Box (500) - $464 (yet wax at $286?)
1979-80 Topps Basketball Vending Box (500) - $1,100 (twice as much as 78?!? what am i missing here)
1987 Topps Football Rack Box (24) - $568

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing prices, wow!

If anyone wants a mint BBCE wrapped 1977 baseball vending box at a 10% discount off that hammer price with free shipping, plmk. image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Amazing prices, wow!

If anyone wants a mint BBCE wrapped 1977 baseball vending box at a 10% discount off that hammer price with free shipping, plmk. image >>

I want those case fresh 1975 baseball vending boxes you are sitting on. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Amazing prices, wow!

If anyone wants a mint BBCE wrapped 1977 baseball vending box at a 10% discount off that hammer price with free shipping, plmk. image >>

I want those case fresh 1975 baseball vending boxes you are sitting on. image >>

Baby steps, Mike! LOL!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll never understand $2670 for a '77 vending box. Especially for years with notoriously bad centering, how can someone plunk down $5/card??
  • Options

<< <i>I'll never understand $2670 for a '77 vending box. Especially for years with notoriously bad centering, how can someone plunk down $5/card?? >>

But if you hit a cherry box with sweet centering...it's all in the gamble. Why do people plunk down money on lottery tickets for prizes they have virtually no chance of winning?

• Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    To me an LOA box is not at all attractive. Like mentioned, I would want an untampered box that hasn't been pieced together.

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    I know it is about the cheapest thing on the list, but $568 for a 1987 FB rack box? Like Tim, I've got a mint one of these purchased straight from BBCE and I will sell mine for 30% off the closing price, with free insured priority boxed shippingimage

Eta: these prices are incredible!
    Steve
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    these auctions always amaze me. fritcsch has been selling the 70 basketball wax packs for 400, he even put them on special last month but someone paid 650 a piece for a lot of 8. I know fritsch is notorious for not selling from his catalog but when he goes as far as putting them on special, I think he would make the deal. now he won't sell them for anything less than 800 each I am sure
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'll never understand $2670 for a '77 vending box. Especially for years with notoriously bad centering, how can someone plunk down $5/card?? >>

But if you hit a cherry box with sweet centering...it's all in the gamble. Why do people plunk down money on lottery tickets for prizes they have virtually no chance of winning? >>

i hit a cherry '77 Topps baseball vending box with sweet centering, just like you've described. got it from Steve Hart several years ago. paid $400 for it. bought 2. paid the same price for the other one. so that was, at the time, an $800 dollar investment.

Box "A" was an absolute dud. my confidence took a hit, but what the heck, i had to keep going and Box "B" was a superstar. i subbed a bunch of great cards from the cherry box. some early Gem Mint grades, cards which were still in the infancy of the numbers game. first, second, third gems being grappled at by eager Registry participants. perfect storm.

at a price point nearly 7 times what i paid then, increased costs of grading, and increased amounts of Gem Mint cards resulting in lowered values, i personally couldn't see past spending that kind of money for anything other than a conversation piece. there is little, if any potential for profit in busting a vintage vending box at today's prices.

if money is not your motive, then bust away. otherwise, i'd consider you ready to be committed. image
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    It was interesting to see these prices, because vending to me is the weakest product going on the demand-side. The 1977 Topps vending box must have just been two people battling it out.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    any guesses why the cazy 79 bkball price??
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Buy It Now for $355
    1987 Topps Football Rack Pack Box Bbce Sealed >>

Even better at $290: opcbaseball Wrapped

It's either shenanigans or novice bidders, those results make little sense. It would be interesting to know which items actually get paid for.
  • Options
    PorkinsPorkins Posts: 605 ✭✭✭
    Am I seeing this right that 2 '81 baseball vendings went for $568!!!!

I did zero research, but can't you still pick one of these up for either side of a hundo?
  • Options
    AUPTAUPT Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    These prices might be due to unimpeachable, rock-solid provenance. From Topps to the Fritsch warehouse to Collect Auctions.

Steve at CA has been building a real niche for himself in the hobby auction arena.
  • Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow very exciting. What great prices especially for vending, several highs from what I've seen.
    Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options

<< <i>These prices might be due to unimpeachable, rock-solid provenance. From Topps to the Fritsch warehouse to Collect Auctions.

Steve at CA has been building a real niche for himself in the hobby auction arena. >>

This has more to do with it than anything, in my opinion.

Most unopened has been in a bubble that is slowly deflating down a bit. There are wiser places to park money these days, in my opinion. This is not knocking unopened as I love the stuff. Just being honest with what I am experiencing.
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    I'll never really understand the appeal of collecting vending boxes. There is no distinction on the box and it's a pretty bland display. These prices speak for themselves, but if I collected unopened I would focus on Wax/Cello/Rack boxes in the original packaging. Great display and lots of fun. Vending just seems a bit image , but that's me.
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 925 ✭✭✭
    So where is the best place to put money into?
  • Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So where is the best place to put money into? >>

Collecting wise I'm all in on 1980s star rookie showing packs. I think one day they do what the '60s and '70s unopened star packs have done and their rarity can't be beat.
    Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭✭

@shu4040 said:

1980-81 Topps Basketball Vending Box (500)- Final Price: $9,615 (wow!)

What would one of these go for without an LOA but with your typical look of an untouched Vending box? I might have found one but not possible to get an FASC designation of course.

Thoughts on value? Any way to get it authenticated on its own by someone? (It is my understanding that BBCE may not do these due to the vending not from sealed case)

Thanks.

• Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭

@rtimmer said:
    << So where is the best place to put money into? >>

Collecting wise I'm all in on 1980s star rookie showing packs. I think one day they do what the '60s and '70s unopened star packs have done and their rarity can't be beat.

The problem you have is so many were manufactured/created by scammers. The demand will be there but so will the supply. Just my .02.

** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options

@1980scollector said:

@rtimmer said:

The problem you have is so many were manufactured/created by scammers. The demand will be there but so will the supply. Just my .02.

Just only buy graded or grade yours with PSA and then there is no problem.

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

@secretstash said:

@1980scollector said:

@rtimmer said:

I tried collecting PSA graded packs with stars showing - didn't work out too well for me :wink:

Daniel
  • Options

@BaltimoreYankee said:

@secretstash said:

@1980scollector said:

@rtimmer said:

I tried collecting PSA graded packs with stars showing - didn't work out too well for me :wink:

$$$ wise spent? or you mean you popped one that wasn't authentic? Thanks

• Options
    jsanzjsanz Posts: 250 ✭✭

Keep in mind the Collect Auctions final prices are with a 20% (I think) buyers premium. Its easy to over look that when you are in a bidding war. I made that mistake on a low dollar item and my item that was a good price at $100 became a $130 item with BP and shipping.

Love those 70's - early 80's packs and boxes...send me a message if you are selling because I am buying
  • Options
    jsanzjsanz Posts: 250 ✭✭

Another thing I noticed that is worth mentioning is they are starting to label items from the Fritsch Vault. I am sure that adds value now and when the buyer decides to sell it. I think that is very smart. It's like FASC but takes it to the next level.

Love those 70's - early 80's packs and boxes...send me a message if you are selling because I am buying
  • Options

@jsanz said:
    Another thing I noticed that is worth mentioning is they are starting to label items from the Fritsch Vault. I am sure that adds value now and when the buyer decides to sell it. I think that is very smart. It's like FASC but takes it to the next level.

For vending, I could see that adding a premium though I'd still prefer FASC from BBCE.

Fritsch does sell PSA graded cellos with stars on top, though, so I wouldn't assume that the cello boxes are intact and FASC.

• Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭

@secretstash said:

@1980scollector said:

@rtimmer said:

Are you new to pack collecting?

Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"