Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Can any other MS coins besides Morgan Dollars receive the PL or DM designation?

Has any other MS coin recieved the PL or DM designation besides Morgan doallars?
Was there something different in the way Morgan Dollars were minted that makes this designation the only MS coins that I've seen with this designation?

Frank

Comments

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Yes only morgans, I have seen and own other coins than morgans that have pl fields trade dollars often have pl and even dmpl surfaces.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ANACS does many coins including even State quarters (a couple are coming up on Teletrade) and especially early Commemorative halfs.

peacockcoins

• Options
    I never knew that, thanks Braddick image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had an 1883 NC Liberty nickel that ANACS had graded MS64 PL. (The PL designation on the label.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It can get complicated. Some of the moderns have matte PL, burnished PL,
    or Proof Like surfaces.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
    I saw a $20 liberty gold piece in a PCGS holder with a pl on it.
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    a great post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

many barber mintstate business strike barber quarterfs and dimes are monster prooflike coins maybe some bordering on deep prooflike and also a few halves

also some baided hair large cents are deep mirrored prooflike well very few but i have seen some monsters

a great post!!!!!!!!!!!!

sincerely michael
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    some lots!!!!! late seared mintstate business strike lower mintage seated quarters and hlaves especiLLY SO THE quarters come prooflike!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>lordmarcovan,

Knowing your love of darkside material, I am surprised you didn't mention the Canadian Dollars which also get the PL designations. >>

Funny thing, baseball- I have never had one of those Canadian dollars in a slab. As a matter of fact, I think I have only owned ONE slabbed Canadian coin ever.

It was an 1872-H (?) half in an ANACS holder. "VG details, net FR02, holed". I drilled a hole in the plastic and actually hung the slab on my Holey Coin Vest for awhile, just for giggles. But it was a bit too bulky so I eventually broke the coin out and hung it on the vest properly. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I have an 1821 Bust Half that is graded PL by ANACS, had been sold raw as a full proof a couple of times until I bought it in 1989. When it sold in 1975 the price realized was $1250 I paid considerably less then that when I won it in 1989 auction.

• Options
    RotatedRainbows-
    Fabulous coin with a fantastic, documented history! Thanks for sharing that little beauty.
  • Options
    its4realits4real Posts: 451 ✭✭
    I have an ANACS slabbed 1873 $1 Open 3 goldie that has "PL" on the designation
    "spare change? Nahhhhh...never have any...sold it all on E-bay..."
    see? My Auctions "Got any 1800's gold?"
  • Options
    Thanks Dcam, here is a picture of the reverse.

• Options
    Thanks everone for the replies to my post. I really love that 1821, it's a beautiful coin.

Frank
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saw a DMPL FE cent not long ago....in MS....should have saved the pic as it was a on-line listing....surprised the heck out of me to see it was on the holder.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't take long to find..here it is on the EERC site, if interested, a NGC specimen.

http://www.indiancent.com/market/57s1m65n.JPG
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    RotatedRainbows,

That is a really cool coin! I love the reverse.
  • Options
    numobrinumobri Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭
    RotatedRainbows,That's the best Stars i've seen on a caped bust half in a long time,cool coin.
    NUMO
  • Options
    Here's one I've posted recently, 1949-S PCGS MS66FBL 50c.
  • Options
    Maybe someday pcgs will give pl and dmpl for all series then we can spend money on regrades image

Great coin there oldcameoproofsguy.

Btw I tried looking at ngc for the 1957 flying eagle but no listing for any pl or dpl in their online pop report.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file