Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

opinions sought: 1822 bust quarter

I won this quarter, which had less than stellar pictures online. The seller stated that there were two scratches on the obverse, but the color looked good to me, so I took a gamble. What do people think? I was drawn to the original skin with a cameo-like contrast. The scratches are actually relatively light and blend in fairly well, and are almost invisible in hand. Obviously when magnified they are more prominent, but in reality they are not distracting and hardly noticeable. My photography skills suck, but here are some big iPhone photos. The last photo gives you a sense of what it looks like in hand.

Questions: would these scratches bother you on a coin of this age (and relative rarity--1822 is a better date in the series)? Would this squeak through at PCGS? I've seen bust quarters with far worse issues housed in problem-free holders with the understanding that the "marks are consistent with the grade." I'm leaning toward liking it (and keeping it) as it'll look good in my Dansco. Any and all thoughts welcome!

Comments

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the coin, yeah a would be nice if the scratches weren't there, but overall nice and original. Think it still will grade at pcgs
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a date that is difficult to find in any circulated grade without any significant defects. As long as you didn't pay a silly premium for the details grade, it shouldn't matter if you can't get PCGS to assign a numerical grade. The pin scratches you have on this coin aren't overwhelming to the overall look of the coin. If it were my coin, I'd be optimistic about getting a straight grade for it. image

Edit to add: I remembered after my initial reply that I had retained the listing for this coin in my watch list, and let it slide since I have a couple of the date already. I think you will fare well, considering your cost basis. image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    VarlisVarlis Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Edit to add: I remembered after my initial reply that I had retained the listing for this coin in my watch list, and let it slide since I have a couple of the date already. I think you will fare well, considering your cost basis. image >>

Cool. Yeah, I put a max bid into a sniping program, and of course it ran almost up to that bid. At least I didn't go nuclear.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    50-50 call on it straight grading
    sweet looking example regardless...i like it

update us if you sub this
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I like the coin, yeah a would be nice if the scratches weren't there, but overall nice and original. Think it still will grade at pcgs >>

I agree with this.
  • Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That one looks quite nice ! And if Coindeuce says that you picked it up for a realistic price, then I'd say your golden !
    Enjoy it raw, send it in when you are ready to part ways and you have a great date you can enjoy ...the "look" more than makes up for the scratches IMO image
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it a lot! I think it will grade at PCGS no problem.

Send her in.
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭
    It will grade
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It will grade >>

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The scratches would keep nagging at me. Nice coin, but for the scratches. PCGS would likely grade it at present, but it would have been body-bagged a few years back. If you like the coin, that's all that matters. I would have passed, but that's me.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pass. As I have said before, this is not the time to be buying problem coins.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,395 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It shouldn't grade.
    Those scratches look intentional, albeit contemporary.
    That's a red flag with PCGS.

peacockcoins

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I like the coin, yeah a would be nice if the scratches weren't there, but overall nice and original. Think it still will grade at pcgs >>

X2

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    I noticed the scratches first thing in the large photos
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I think the coin should be given the Genuine, but my guess is PCGS will grade it. The scratches would definitely mean no sale to me.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it for what it is. A nice looking, very old coin with a few light scratches. Keep it raw.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I definitely like it if the price is right, the detail looks every bit of VF, the surface quality is above average (aside from the scratches) and I do think that it would probably (and should) quietly net-grade at Fine 15 or possibly 12.

There is a chance that the graders will "genuine" it, simply because the scratches form a letter V, which might be accidental but could also be intentional and some might think of that as grafitti.

I do like such coins, again if the price was right for a Fine or so (or less) then I think it was a good deal. Great coin for an album, especially if her neighbors have similar qualities, great presentation

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I definitely like it if the price is right, the detail looks every bit of VF, the surface quality is above average (aside from the scratches) and I do think that it would probably (and should) quietly net-grade at Fine 15 or possibly 12.

There is a chance that the graders will "genuine" it, simply because the scratches form a letter V, which might be accidental but could also be intentional and some might think of that as grafitti.

I do like such coins, again if the price was right for a Fine or so (or less) then I think it was a good deal. Great coin for an album, especially if her neighbors have similar qualities, great presentation >>

My thinking exactly.
    Lance.
  • Options
    If it makes F12, its an off the wall single. At F15, its a stand up double. At VF-20, its an inside the park homer. image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon

• Options
    Your 22 is VERY pleasing to the eye. Great original style toning! The scratches do not bother me so much as they appear ancient and dark, not bright and reflective. A small concern that it is shaped as a V. I'd think PCGS may slab it.....and naturally net grade it.

Still, as far as for your personal collection goes...I say try and keep "no problem" examples. It's not even an R-7. Yes, it's pretty tough, but it's not the B-2.

I like it but it would only be a duplicate, semi-problem pleasing looking coin in the end.

Persuing choice countermarked coinage on 2 reales.

Enjoyed numismatic conversations with Eric P. Newman, Dave Akers, Jules Reiver, David Davis, Russ Logan, John McCloskey, Kirk Gorman, W. David Perkins...
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I agree with this. >>

I also agree.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    if I recall correctly, on ebay a 1822 is for sale in a PCGS F15 holder, has as a scratch from the mouth was listed at $655 for sale by larry???? (I don't remember full username).
    I would think OP's coin would holder, I've seen worse in PCGS holder. OP's coin looks nice & original, scratches not significant enough to keep out of holder.
    I would save the $'s and not send in, but if I had this I would not be looking to sell nor register so I would have little motivation to spring for the holder.

Note: I would post a link/pic, but where I work restricts web access.

Edit to add: I have no connection to the ebay coin for disclosure
  • Options
    dynamic - the eBay coin you've cited was absolutely net graded by our host. The scar that traverses Liberty's face from the lips all the way to the hair curls below the ear is too obviously noticeable even if it is old, toned over damage. In addition, the sellers price would be more in line with a real world price for a problem free VF25-VF30. Different strokes for different folks.

• Options
    coindeuce I agree, I was just putting that out there as an example of something like the OP's coin.
    I did not endorse nor comment negatively on the coin on ebay, just an example of what is out there.
    When it was slabbed I do not know, possibly before Genuine slabs when slabbing with a net grade was more common.
    Always buy the coin not the holder.

Edit to add "n" in front of example.
  • Options

• Options
    Looks like a nice coin, but those scratches will always be there. Always.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    VarlisVarlis Posts: 505 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, everyone, for all your opinions!

I think I'm going to keep this one just because the original skin is really what's hard to find in a bust quarter. It gives them personality, and for me, that counts with bust coinage. I should say that in hand, the scratches are not visible, and I don't think that they were deliberately put there in a V formation. They look like light pin scratches to me, but I tried to magnify them in the big pictures so they could be easily seen. That said, my guess is that it would straight grade at PCGS (as people have stated, I've seen quite a few BQs straight graded that have what some might consider fairly serious issues (from heavy cleanings to gouges)--there are even a couple 1822s floating around this very minute on the internet).

In any case, this one will go into a Dansco, and will look durn pretty there. If I ever do submit it, I'll let everyone know what happens!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file