Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

New 1921 Fat Man Dollar Pickup!!

I'm normally a lurker, but I'd figure I share my new Foreign Pickup! My B&M is not well versed in foreign and when I get burnt out looking at US coins to add to my Morgan/Peace/Mercury Dime/Pre-1933 I usually sift through BOXES of coins in 2x2 and envelopes and buy what I find interesting. This is my first Fat Man Dollar, but I now plan to add more Chinese Silver Dollars to my collection!

This piece has great luster, a relatively weak strike, a nice die crack and looks to be in great condition. I paid $85 for this and couldn't have been happier to do so. Any thoughts on grade?

Here is the Fat Man!

Comments

• Options
    Welcome Shady Dave. Lurking is great but you don't get to share your knowledge with the rest of us, which is what this great forumn is all about. Like you I started out with US and then gravitated to foreign by picking up 2 x 2's. My collecting now has over 17, 000 all different coins in it. I do have some nice silver and BU coins but I don't get caught up in having the finest of one struck. If it catches my fancy I buy it. I am not an expert on any of them, but just to let you know there are a lot of fakes out in the chinese realm. There are other experts here who will chime in I am sure. Your Fatman looks good to me. Congrats .
    Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks olmanjon! Yeah, that has been what has holding me back with buying Chinese coins. I am a pretty knowledgeable collector so I can spot red flags (cast coins, underweight coins, altered coins) but I'm not very familiar with details on Chinese pieces yet, so I'm proceeding with caution even at my LCS. I am 100% sure that this is a real Fat Man after my detective work and dealer I purchased it from (good calipers, an accurate scale and a hi-quality Bausch and Lomb 7x loupe).

I've been directed to Text for info on chinese coins, but haven't had much time to educate myself at this point.
  • Options
    zompelszompels Posts: 215 ✭✭
    Fat man dollar is a wonderful piece, I also like the one you show ....congrats
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Fatman looks very nice. Love the die crack too -- which suggests that it's not counterfeit.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com