Home U.S. Coin Forum

PCGS Fake Slab on eBay

KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
This has to be one of the worst attempts at a PCGS slab.

I think my favourite "attribute" is the "PCCB" plastic (Note: Bottom right of holder - Obverse Side)

Link
    Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover

Comments

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
      Seller is in Las Vegas as am I. I just sent a note to see if he will let me view it in hand...
      stay tuned........

bobimage
      Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
    • luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

Gotta watch items on eBay like a hawk.
    • DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
      I am tuned!

Love to see how this turns out . . . . .

MUCH potential . . .

Drunner
    • KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
      Well, I told the seller that the slab was fake. Here's his response.

"I have no reason to believe that. Are you referring to the slab only or to the coin as well? What is the basis for your opinion?"
      Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
    • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
      I do not have the keen eye for fake slabs that many more attentive people here do. Nonetheless, when I clicked on the link and saw the slab, I laughed out loud.
    • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, I told the seller that the slab was fake. Here's his response.

"I have no reason to believe that. Are you referring to the slab only or to the coin as well? What is the basis for your opinion?" >>

Maybe you should ask him what the hell PCCB designates on a capsule that normally has the company acronym PCGS. Or why the cert. number and barcode are sloppily off center to left. Or why the front and back labels aren't of identical dimension the way all genuine PCGS labels are. image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
      http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

<< <i>

"I have no reason to believe that. Are you referring to the slab only or to the coin as well? What is the basis for your opinion?" >>

Maybe you should ask him what the hell PCCB designates on a capsule that normally has the company acronym PCGS. Or why the cert. number and barcode are sloppily off center to left. Or why the front and back labels aren't of identical dimension the way all genuine PCGS labels are. image >>

I pointed all of that out to him. I'm looking forward to his response.
      Might mention that a CC expert here in Las Vegas, would be happy to view the coin and slab for free...

I already sent a message but no response yet.

bobimage
    • LOL I love it.

C- for effort, though. The very least they could do would be put the PCCB logo in the back.

On to The Black Cabinet this one goes...
      Steve
      The Black Cabinet
      A database of counterfeit coinage.
      http://www.theblackcabinet.org
    • I just sent my own message, too. Let's see if they follow through properly.
      Steve
      The Black Cabinet
    • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
      PCCB appears to be a real collectibles company that makes coin / currency holders and albums. Type PCCB into the Bay and you can see some of their holders and albums. PCCB stands for Professional Coin Collection Box. Of course, the fact they make holders that can be confused with PCGS holders can be an issue for those that cannot read those letters....

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
      100% feed back seller.....what's not to like?
      Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
    • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
      It's stickered, twice.
      Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
    • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>PCCB appears to be a real collectibles company that makes coin / currency holders and albums. Type PCCB into the Bay and you can see some of their holders and albums. PCCB stands for Professional Coin Collection Box. Of course, the fact they make holders that can be confused with PCGS holders can be an issue for those that cannot read those letters....
      image >>

PCGS is a trademark protected name.
      A company using the trademarked name without permission of the owner of that trademarked name is a serious violation of U.S. Code.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
      http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Reply received!

<< <i>After receiving your message (and now similar messages from numerous others) it seems obvious that there are issues with the slab and possibly with the coin itself. I have removed this listing and I am embarrassed for posting it in the first place. My reputation on Ebay is extremely important to me and I can only apologize for my lack of research. Thank you for taking the time to educate me.

- dornx >>

A wise decision on the part of the seller who made a mature choice, keeping their reputation intact, and all is well once again with the world. :-)
      Steve
      The Black Cabinet

• << <i>

<< <i>PCCB appears to be a real collectibles company that makes coin / currency holders and albums. Type PCCB into the Bay and you can see some of their holders and albums. PCCB stands for Professional Coin Collection Box. Of course, the fact they make holders that can be confused with PCGS holders can be an issue for those that cannot read those letters....
      image >>

PCGS is a trademark protected name.
      A company using the trademarked name without permission of the owner of that trademarked name is a serious violation of U.S. Code.
      >>

Very true! and PCCB makes the round holders, that is why you need the box to hold them.
    • Nice job guys , glad you were on the case !!!!!
      Finally got a response:

Dear bobandlindatoo,

I'm sorry, the coin is no longer for sale. Thanx for your interest.

- dornx
    • thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
      It also looks like that strange label was glued on the outside of the plastic. image
      I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
      - Jim
    • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
      If there were a PCGS Counterfeits generations thread, this "style" would have made its first apperances on ebay about 1-2 years ago.

it's been seen before, at least those "pcgs labels" have. I don't think anyone has ever pointed out the pccb part WITH those style "pcgs labels."

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
    • mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
      Did anyone look at the rest of his stuff?

Appears he is a seller of bank notes.
    • BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
      Actually, selling anything is new... he's only been a buyer for the last year at least.

Giving him the benefit of the doubt, he's starting to sell off his collection and threw up what he thought was a legit coin that he obtained some how (but as a paper hanger he knows nothing about coins and took it at face value)... a little aggressive on the reply, but after getting a few messages and the eBay inquiry, he's acted correctly.

Of course, did our message to him say anything more than "fake slab"... did we share the knowledge (please notice the PCGS label doesn't match any style they have ever used, the initials on the plastic case are PCCB not PCGS and it's not sonically sealed)?
      -----Burton
      ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")

<< <i>

<< <i>

Maybe you should ask him what the hell PCCB designates on a capsule that normally has the company acronym PCGS. Or why the cert. number and barcode are sloppily off center to left. Or why the front and back labels aren't of identical dimension the way all genuine PCGS labels are. image >>

I pointed all of that out to him. I'm looking forward to his response. >>

Got a reply this morning:

"After receiving your message (and now similar messages from numerous others) it seems obvious that there are issues with the slab and possibly with the coin itself. I have removed this listing and I am embarrassed for posting it in the first place. My reputation on Ebay is extremely important to me and I can only apologize for my lack of research. Thank you for taking the time to educate me."
    • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
      Come on guys! You're just a little paranoid...
      That slab looks fine. image

<< <i>Come on guys! You're just a little paranoid...
      That slab looks fine. image >>

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
    Emoji
    Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
    Drop image/file