Home U.S. Coin Forum

Ugly toned Peace $1, but in a 20+ year MS65 holder and the nicest I own

The coolest looking toned peace dollar I own...

/MDG

Comments

• Congratulations, nice coin!
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Decent coin no doubt for a toned Peace. But man is the bar set low for toned Peace $s in general.
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love your colorful 'double sided crescent' rainbow '24 Peace $1.....unique and cool!!
  • CacoinguyCacoinguy Posts: 279 ✭✭✭
    Nice originality on the coin , i know peace dollars with toning bring a premium but to me this coin is just not attractive to me. To each his own.
  • lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice originality on the coin , i know peace dollars with toning bring a premium but to me this coin is just not attractive to me. To each his own. >>

I think toned peace dollars in PCGS holders bring the premium prices.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does the 20 year plus cert# start with 3144 or 3145? Doesn't quite look like it but close.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does the 20 year plus cert# start with 3144 or 3145? Doesn't quite look like it but close. >>

3145....ok, that's weird....how do you know?
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    has a similar look to your avatar coin. I like it.

• << <i>

<< <i>Does the 20 year plus cert# start with 3144 or 3145? Doesn't quite look like it but close. >>

3145....ok, that's weird....how do you know?

He is most likely one of it's past protectors.
  • I like it
  • commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,084 ✭✭✭
    There is a number of NGC Fatty holdered toned Peace Dollars with the serial numbers starting with 3144 and 3145. Some people are convinced they are all artificially toned. Here are links to previous discussions on the topic. Link 1. Link 2.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • drfishdrfish Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭
    3144 and 45 NGC Peace dollars have been discussed in detail before. The story is they came from a leather pouch while some say paper rolls. However many have posted that they think the coins are AT. I don't think I've ever seen a Peace dollar from the 44/45s with a CAC sticker .
    I think some of that group are quite attractive. Probably a thread on them in this forum
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image Nice coin. It's so dark it Looks like it hurts.

Hoard the keys.
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet !!! image
    Timbuk3
    Interesting insights on 3145. This coin did CAC sticker.

There is absolutely nothing about this coin that suggests AT.

It looks like a larger version of some Mercs I used to own image
  • JJMJJM Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it !
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting insights on 3145. This coin did CAC sticker.

There is absolutely nothing about this coin that suggests AT.

It looks like a larger version of some Mercs I used to own image >>

I'm glad to see stman already asked as I was going to question the same.

Another Leather Pouch Hoard Peace $1 stickers....

AT or not they will sticker making them market acceptable...

You Searched For Cert Number: 314573098

Serial Number: 314573098
    Grading Service: NGC
    Description: 1924 Dollars Peace MS65

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
    Prior to CAC stickering them making them somewhat liquid you almost need your estate to worry about trying to sell one after you where 6 feet under.
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your Peace Dollar whoops the tar out of MS62 for my Type Set.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭
    A little dark on the tone but I still like the look for a Peace $.

Mike
  • On Morgan's it must be attractively toned to elicit a premium, this simply does not appear to be the case with Peace dollars. Any old toning will do for the "fans"
  • mommam17mommam17 Posts: 971 ✭✭✭
    Everything is right for me, the date, the grade, the look, the sticker. Congrats.
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it. Not the prettiest ever, but nice & natural looking to me. I love the surface texture of 1924 Philly coins like this one.
  • jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am an avid Peace Dollar collector, and the 1924-P issue is easily my favorite, due to the extremely thick luster found on many of the examples.

That being said, these NGC 314XXX Peace Dollars are, in my opinion, an abomination. I consider them AT, and haven't seen one yet that I consider attractive, as they all look overripe and dark.

I don't buy the purse toning excuse whatsoever.

Grades posted. I submitted an NGC order for cross, all crossed at grade...FYI, including the OP Peace $1 in NGC MS65 CAC. I had another colorful Peace $1 in NGC MS64 CAC.

The other two coins were not CAC (never sent)...but very nice IMHO.

PS. Psyched with the 4 for 4 crossovers image

• << <i>
    That being said, these NGC 314XXX Peace Dollars are, in my opinion, an abomination. I consider them AT, and haven't seen one yet that I consider attractive, as they all look overripe and dark.

I don't buy the purse toning excuse whatsoever. >>

• mommam17mommam17 Posts: 971 ✭✭✭
    PCGS, NGC and CAC are saying the coin is a GEM MS65 and 2 collectors are calling it an abomination and AT. Very interesting differences of opinion here.
    Beyond the toning what hasn't been addressed is the non toned white portion of every example NGC 314XXX Peace Dollar.

The luster is false as the surfaces have a crystallized chemical etching.

If you look at the images of all 3 examples posted they all have wide spread mild acne.

I can remember what type of acid was used in the 1980's on Morgan $1's to create false Cameo Frost but would guess something like it was also used on these Peace $1's.

• ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,776 ✭✭✭✭
    Ugly? I think that toning is beautiful.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
    Some collectors have a conspiracy theory mind set. I guess we can't rewind the clock and go back in time so it's just a philosophical debate.

It's just hard for some collectors to accept a simple truth...easier for them to accept some outlandish story.

The coin that crossed is as natural of a coin as I've seen, absolutely without question. But then again, I'm not a conspiracy theory kind of guy image

And yes Shamika, I agree with you...I like the toning; some call it ugly so I figure I just go with the ugly flow image

Beauty is always in the eye of the be-holder...and now the holder is PCGS image

• TonerGuyTonerGuy Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Some collectors have a conspiracy theory mind set. I guess we can't rewind the clock and go back in time so it's just a philosophical debate.

It's just hard for some collectors to accept a simple truth...easier for them to accept some outlandish story.

The coin that crossed is as natural of a coin as I've seen, absolutely without question. But then again, I'm not a conspiracy theory kind of guy image

And yes Shamika, I agree with you...I like the toning; some call it ugly so I figure I just go with the ugly flow image

Beauty is always in the eye of the be-holder...and now the holder is PCGS image >>

There are actually still dealers in the business that were on the show floor in Long Beach when this lot of coins first came to light. The leather pouch story is not a conspiracy. It was the explanation given when the coins where shown on the floor to several of them. When 100+ toned Peace $ show up all at the same time it raises questions.
  • mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand how the Peace dollar shown in the OP can tone this way naturally.The shape of the toning is suspect,in my opinion.The same irregular shape can be seen on both obverse and reverse.How can this happen naturally I ask?

The coin can't be called a gem unless the questionable shape of the toning is satisfactorily answered.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

<< <i>I don't understand how the Peace dollar shown in the OP can tone this way naturally. >>

The same exact way Morgan Dollars and other similar large coins have nearly identical kind of toning.
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with mr1874, the untoned areas are not the shape of a coin shielding part of another coin while stored long term in a sack. IMO, the toned areas look painted on. Nevertheless, the coin is now firmly MA, housed in proper plastic and with the green bean, so I am happy for mdg that his investment is protected.
  • winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    Pretty dollars but I think I like bright white.

<< <i> IMO, the toned areas look painted on. >>

3 expert painters making the same mistake is less likely than me hitting power ball.

Besides I also know what AT looks like and this ain't it.
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The coin can't be called a gem unless the questionable shape of the toning is satisfactorily answered. >>

No dog in this fight on either side, but I disagree strongly with this statement.......unless one can unquestionably say how it was toned, unnaturally, then one shouldn't try to cast aspersions on it.
    The world is still unknown in many ways. So is toning. Yes, one CAN say how some toning is done...one can experiment and prove it. One can also state, in some instances, the exact environment and MOST LIKELY way that natural toning has occurred....if one received the item as the first owner and stored it in a known way with a known environment for a known period of time and then took it out and it was toned.

However, just because one doesn't meet your definition of "satisfactorily" answered for how the toning shape came about does NOT mean you cannot call it a gem.

Slabbing or not, CAC or not, the coin in the OP is not one I would pursue....because it doesn't do anything for me. However, since *I* cannot state, for a fact, that the toning is AT/QT, nor can *I* state how it was done, I choose to ignore those pieces and look at the coin and decide if *I* would want it. Obviously, the OP made his choice and he isn't exactly what one would call a neophyte or unknowing newbie on this. So, it is his choice.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely not an ugly toner! Peace dollars will typically tone like this one if they tone...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file