Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

newp: Israel error coins

As promised, I'd like to share a few newps:

First one is a double stuck 10 Agorot coin from the 1980s. This particular series was very short-lived and was only produced from 1980 to 1985. NGC says this coin is dated 1981, but in reality the date was obliterated by the second strike and is not visible on the coin, not even with 10x magnification under strong light, so I just have to assume they made that up. While the basic coin itself is dirt-common (hundreds of millions made), errors are scarce. This is actually the only double-struck coin of this specific denomination I've ever seen in almost 20 years of collecting in this field.

The second one I've purchased but haven't received yet, waiting for the registered mail to arrive. It's a 1927 British Mandate Palestine 5 Mils coin with the central hole punched off center. Seller's image, not mine. I'd say VF grade, 1927 is the most common date for the series, but the error is very significant and noticeable. Errors from that period are scarce (although definitely not unheard-of) and desirable.

Comments

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the time the Israeli coin was struck weren't they being minted in Netherlands?
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice desslok. The British Mandate piece is quite interesting for the error type but also due to the fact it had been kept all these years to make it into your hands. This means that someone had foresight that an error is something unique to be kept rather than being discarded.
  • Options
    desslokdesslok Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    SaorAlba: according to official Bank of Israel documentation, this denomination was minted in Canada, Stuttgart (Germany), France and in Israel itself. There is no mention of Netherlands.

Zohar: the coin's condition indicates that it has been in circulation, so I think it was used in trade for some time before someone decided it's interesting enough to put it aside.
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does condition matter much for errors?
  • Options
    desslokdesslok Posts: 310 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Does condition matter much for errors? >>

It matters if it's UNC or not, that does affect the price. I don't think the exact MS numeric grade matters.
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice newps!!

Once had a 20 Mil dated 1942 just like your 5 Mil - many years ago.

Enjoy the chase!