Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1981 Topps Traded Autograph Set (So far) Updated 10/10/2018

jmlabonnerjmlabonner Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
Early in the morning here in Mississippi and am pretty bored so I am gonna do a post! Just like my 2014 Topps Heritage Minors Autograph Set I am working on, I started sending these out the first week of December via TTM. I was pretty surprised to get the Fred Lynn back signed because most successes I have seen he wouldn't sign the card but sent back an index card instead.

New ones I have gotten since the first post!

New ones since the previous update on 03/01/2016. Morgan finally replied!

Comments

• cubfan89cubfan89 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭
    My friend Bruce collects complete sets of cards from baseball and football. He read something on another website about a guy on ebay signing the singles himself and selling them.

http://live.autographmagazine.com/forum/topics/baseball-autograph-set-collectors-beware-ebay-scammer-cable?commentId=3524372:Comment:715687&xg_source=activity
  • jmlabonnerjmlabonner Posts: 325 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My friend Bruce collects complete sets of cards from baseball and football. He read something on another website about a guy on ebay signing the singles himself and selling them.

http://live.autographmagazine.com/forum/topics/baseball-autograph-set-collectors-beware-ebay-scammer-cable?commentId=3524372:Comment:715687&amp;xg_source=activity >>

Oh heck! Thank you so much for that link! I already know I am going to have to turn to eBay to purchase some of my autographs for this set. I am getting all the ones via TTM before I start buying on eBay though.
  • Did the Butch Hobson come back with traces of cocaine?

<< <i>Did the Butch Hobson come back with traces of cocaine? >>

Ahh I have not heard about that one! Time to go Google him! image
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Just curious who the toughest is?

Any signed set is a huge undertaking

Best of luck
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭
    I think Mark Belanger is in that set, which may prove to be a difficult one.

Good luck with it!

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭
    pretty good first month. cant wait to see the set built.

good luck
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

The ones below I believe are going to be rather tough to get. The rest I either have already sent out or they charge a fee and I am doing those a few at a time.

Deceased

Bobby Bonds
    Larry Cox
    Victor Cruz
    Darrell Porter
    Jim Spencer
    Tom Underwood

No current address

Doyle Alexander
    Tony Bernazard
    Cesar Geronimo
    Claudell Washington

Probably going to be tough to obtain

Bruce Sutter
    Fernando Valenzuela
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Did the Butch Hobson come back with traces of cocaine? >>

Ahh I have not heard about that one! Time to go Google him! image >>

For those to lazy to look it up themselves, from Wikipedia:
    "In 1996, while managing the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Red Barons, then a Triple-A affiliate of the Philadelphia Phillies, he was arrested for possession of cocaine and immediately fired."

Good luck on your quest jmlabonner! I'm working on a 100 card set of all autos and it's been fun and challenging, so 132 card set sounds reasonable. For those attempting larger sets, I don't think there's any way I would have the patience.
  • saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭
    Like this
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Great idea and an underrated set, in my opinion. In some ways, the 1981 traded set was the first time Topps was thinking of the collector market and not the "kid on a bicycle with a couple of quarters" market. I LOVE the Raines and Fernando rookies from this set, too. Good luck!
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice start to a cool project!

BTW, If you get a response from Byron McLaughlin, the FBI would be interested..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

<< <i>Nice start to a cool project!

BTW, If you get a response from Byron McLaughlin, the FBI would be interested.. >>

Ha! I just read about what he did with the shoes! He's not in the '81 Traded set, thank God, or I'd be looking at a HIGH price to buy that auto!
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Nice start to a cool project!

BTW, If you get a response from Byron McLaughlin, the FBI would be interested.. >>

Ha! I just read about what he did with the shoes! He's not in the '81 Traded set, thank God, or I'd be looking at a HIGH price to buy that auto! >>

Indeed, LOL! I misread your thread title~the Traded set is a nice way to go after a complete set with a decent chance at completion. Good luck!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • That's a bunch of returns! How many total have you sent out so far?

<< <i>That's a bunch of returns! How many total have you sent out so far? >>

I have the 41 pictured and I still have 52 that have not come back yet. So 93 total so far.
  • cubfan89cubfan89 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry I couldn't get the link to work. I have read all of the links there and it is clear the ebay seller is up to no good.
  • bsavagebsavage Posts: 204 ✭✭
    Nice! I like that almost all are blue sharpie. Are you sending a sharpie with your request or has that just been luck?

<< <i>Nice! I like that almost all are blue sharpie. Are you sending a sharpie with your request or has that just been luck? >>

It has just been pure darn luck!
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I also just noticed that this was only Topps Traded. I thought you were doing the entire 81 Topps set image

Looks great so far. Yeah, McLaughlin might be the toughest one.
    Got a "reply" back from HOFer Joe Morgan. He didn't sign his '81 Topps Traded card but sent and index card signed. Looks a quite bit iffy if you ask me! What do y'all think?

John

• lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭
    I just saw this thread. I can't speak to the Morgan auto, but that is an impressive return! Congrats!
    Check out the new additions on the first post!

John
  • Great project!

Didn't Hobson receive cocaine in the mail? Was that the minor league incident Kyle referenced, or is the incident I'm referring to something that occurred when he managed the Red Sox? My memory is hazy....... As, probably, is Hobson's.

<< <i>Great project!

Didn't Hobson receive cocaine in the mail? Was that the minor league incident Kyle referenced, or is the incident I'm referring to something that occurred when he managed the Red Sox? My memory is hazy....... As, probably, is Hobson's. >>

This is what I found on Wiki:

"In 1996, while managing the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Red Barons, then a Triple-A affiliate of the Philadelphia Phillies, he was arrested for possession of cocaine and immediately fired."
    Not much lately on this TTM project the last 2 months.

• bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Got a "reply" back from HOFer Joe Morgan. He didn't sign his '81 Topps Traded card but sent and index card signed. Looks a quite bit iffy if you ask me! What do y'all think >>

No good on the Morgan sig

<< <i>

<< <i>Got a "reply" back from HOFer Joe Morgan. He didn't sign his '81 Topps Traded card but sent and index card signed. Looks a quite bit iffy if you ask me! What do y'all think >>

No good on the Morgan sig >>

Eh, that's what I figured! Thanks for the input!

John
  • mj23kg21mj23kg21 Posts: 134 ✭✭

<< <i>Got a "reply" back from HOFer Joe Morgan. He didn't sign his '81 Topps Traded card but sent and index card signed. Looks a quite bit iffy if you ask me! What do y'all think?

John

image >>

To be honest, this looks more like Joe Morgan (one time manager of the Boston Red Sox) than HOFer Joe Morgan.
    Always looking to buy old Minnesota Twins and Vikings memorabilia like Nodders, Photo Pennants, and Photo Buttons.
  • DanBessetteDanBessette Posts: 6,422
    How's Jeff reardon doing these days?
  • Might have luck with Claudell Washington here - See if he's still working with them.

https://pastpros.com/claudell-washington/

<< <i>Might have luck with Claudell Washington here - See if he's still working with them.

https://pastpros.com/claudell-washington/ >>

Thanks! I had forgotten about his PastPros site! Last time I checked it out, he was temporarily away for family reasons. Now he's back!

John

<< <i>How's Jeff reardon doing these days? >>

Dan,

Just read up on Jeff Reardon. I was curious as to why you asked. seems he had a rough time about 10 years ago, but he must be doing better now. He's signing TTM's a lot! I also found out the Larry Biittner card I was sent back was from the 1981 Topps base set not the Traded set. I know it was his Traded card I sent but I guess he didn't like it! I sent it again a few days ago in hopes he will sign it!

John
    Well next week will be a year since I've started my TTM project for this and the 2014 Topps Heritage Minors! Since my last update 6 months ago these are the only ones that have arrived. I finally got Larry Biittner to sign the 81 Traded because the one in the first post was from the 81 base set.

John

• GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Glad to see you got CW. That's a really sharp card.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    John,

What a GREAT project! I can't believe I missed this thread when you first posted! Best of luck and keep us updated with your results.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭
    FWIW, last week I received Jack Smalling's autograph price list and he has about 25 signed 1981 Topps Traded cards FS ($3.00 each). Send me a PM if you want me to email a picture of those he has available....

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
    Thanks again folks! I got the Claudell Washington from his PastPros site! I will def keep this thread updated as much as I can!

John
    Well pretty slim picking once again but this is what I have that is new! Sorry for the bad quality pics. I'm still using a crappy iPhone 4S image

John

nice so far. congrats.

how many more do you need? are there any that are real tough?
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

Fred,

I've got about 50 more left to get. Purchased a few off eBay this week of deceased players. The one that I thought would be the toughest was Larry Biittner. Most of his returns I have seen were RTS/Refused. I sent his Traded card to get signed and he sent back the 1981 Topps Base Set card. I tried a few times after that to get the Traded signed but I kept getting the Refused return. Finally with a stroke of luck I got it! Have no idea why he doesn't like to sign. Bruce Sutter and Fernando Valenzuela have been my toughest so far. Not giving up! Thanks!

John
    keep working on them. you can probably get Sutter around HOF weekend and maybe fernado too.

are you going to display them when complete?
    Fred

New pics on the first post.

John
  • lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this is the coolest post I have seen in awhile. great cards and also great to see all of the players that you received signed cards from. keep us updated. thank you for posting.

Howdy folks! I stepped away from the hobby for a little while to focus on my health and family. I guess I am back for a little while! Well, here is the latest update on this 1981 Topps Traded set I've been working on. Check out the picture below for the newest ones!

P.S. Upgraded my phone also so I have a better camera now.

• FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 460 ✭✭✭

Glad to see you back . What is the current tally?

• How did you track down Dennis Lamp and Mike Lum. I'm working on Cubs only and they are 2 folks that never seem to reply for me.

Mike

• lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

Glad to see you back with new additions!

• waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

Great thread. Curious about the current % completion as well. Any luck on Sutter or Fernando?

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

Also that's a great auto of Rusty Staub. Congrats on your pickups thus far.

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball