Home Sports Talk
Options

Your highest level of athletic competition???

MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
Never been a great athlete, or even a good one, really, but have tried most everything.

Once ran a marathon against Greg Meyer (look him up), in 1980. I say this with a wink, as that is the beauty of running a major Marathon. Most anyone can participate and compete with the worlds greatest runners.

The Detroit course was set up with a long out and back portion. I was at about mile 9, when I passed Meyer returning on the other side of the road. He was at mile 18. It was a stunning moment to see an elite distance runner floating along the same stretch of pavement.

Comments

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Never been a great athlete, or even a good one, really, but have tried most everything.

Once ran a marathon against Greg Meyer (look him up), in 1980. I say this with a wink, as that is the beauty of running a major Marathon. Most anyone can participate and compete with the worlds greatest runners.

The Detroit course was set up with a long out and back portion. I was at about mile 9, when I passed Meyer returning on the other side of the road. He was at mile 18. It was a stunning moment to see an elite distance runner floating along the same stretch of pavement. >>

Awesome.

I played high school golf in Los Angeles. Our home course was Rancho Park. On about hole 17 or 18 was a monument from the time Arnold Palmer had a 10 (or some such number) on the hole in some tourney. Made me feel good as I usually beat Arnold Palmer on that hole! Sad to say but I think high school golf was my highest level... and it wasn't very high.
  • Options
    Golfing in Cali on the schools dime.......sounds pretty good to me!
  • Options
    CSUrunandstunCSUrunandstun Posts: 573 ✭✭✭
    Played D-1 Baseball at Cleveland State University 78-81...sadly, the school dropped the baseball program a few years back. Jerry Dybzinski, Dale Mohorcic, Darrin Chapin all made it to the show from CSU.
    Successful transactions with FavreFan1971, ffishonn, Davemri, Publius, DavidPuddy, frcarvell, recbball, and many others...
  • Options
    I still laugh at this one. The community college near Livonia MI opened the athletic facilities to the public on Sundays. It cost $3 to play volleyball basketball and I think the indoor pool was available as well.

Met my friend there several weeks in a row for a couple hours of roundball. I was late 30's at the time.

Showed up one Sunday and there were not too many cars in the lot. No one was taking money at the door. About 15 guys though were running up and down the court and taking shots. I joined in for about 15 minutes until a guy blew a whistle.

He was holding a clipboard and assigned 5 players to each side. I asked to be put on the list for the next game. The coach looked at me sideways and said that these were tryouts for the school team.

• Options
    GRGR Posts: 550 ✭✭
    I played football in high school, as freshmen and sophomores we would play the juniours and seniors, in practice I would go up against Jeff Braun. He started for West Virginia, and tryed out with the Ravens and Dolphins but got cut. He kicked my ass so bad I still cough on cold days, we also played dunbar and Tavon Austin of the Rams. I wasn't great, on varsity football I started six games though not bad for a five foot five lineman! I still love football
    Nathan Wagner
  • Options

<< <i>I still laugh at this one. The community college near Livonia MI opened the athletic facilities to the public on Sundays. It cost $3 to play volleyball basketball and I think the indoor pool was available as well.

Met my friend there several weeks in a row for a couple hours of roundball. I was late 30's at the time.

Showed up one Sunday and there were not too many cars in the lot. No one was taking money at the door. About 15 guys though were running up and down the court and taking shots. I joined in for about 15 minutes until a guy blew a whistle.

He was holding a clipboard and assigned 5 players to each side. I asked to be put on the list for the next game. The coach looked at me sideways and said that these were tryouts for the school team.

image >>

That's funny!
  • Options

<< <i>I played football in high school, as freshmen and sophomores we would play the juniours and seniors, in practice I would go up against Jeff Braun. He started for West Virginia, and tryed out with the Ravens and Dolphins but got cut. He kicked my ass so bad I still cough on cold days, we also played dunbar and Tavon Austin of the Rams. I wasn't great, on varsity football I started six games though not bad for a five foot five lineman! I still love football >>

Five foot five lineman. Low center of gravity though! Cool stuff playing against those guys.
  • Options
    tlake22tlake22 Posts: 299 ✭✭
    Played Colt League and got hits off of 3 Major League pitchers. John Burkett, Doug Piatt and Shawn Holeman. That's my claim to fame.
  • Options
    royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    I can on a rare occasion beat a state champ in darts.
    Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Nothing to write home about. D1 Track and Cross Country and then FIFA semi pro soccer for two years when I was 23 and 24. Clearly outclassed on the turf I will tell you.
  • Options

<< <i>Nothing to write home about. D1 Track and Cross Country and then FIFA semi pro soccer for two years when I was 23 and 24. Clearly outclassed on the turf I will tell you. >>

What distances?
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    800 for track and 10K for CC.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Small college hoops for four years.

Also, in high school and in college and in my 20's I played recreationally at various locations in the Western US. In some of these games the competition included many D-1 players and many NBA players.

It was fun to run up and down the court with some of the best of the best. They were so quick, fast and explosive that I felt like I was a running in a 5' deep swimming pool with 6' of sand covering the bottom of the pool.
  • Options
    mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I still laugh at this one. The community college near Livonia MI opened the athletic facilities to the public on Sundays. It cost $3 to play volleyball basketball and I think the indoor pool was available as well.

image >>

That's funny! >>

hah! +1
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Highest I reached was Little League in baseball; although I did play two games of pool with Steve Mizerak image

Steve
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first time clicking on this section -- always at the US Coin Forum.

NCAA 3-position shooter (smallbore) . . then US team back in the day.

Oly Trials 1976 and 1980.

Drunner
  • Options

<< <i>My first time clicking on this section -- always at the US Coin Forum.

NCAA 3-position shooter (smallbore) . . then US team back in the day.

Oly Trials 1976 and 1980.

Drunner >>

Welcome to the other side, Drunner!
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I won the National Land Judging Contest Homesite Division in Oklahoma City in 1975 as a Junior in High School image

GrandAmimage
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    Hi skule baseball, football, and hockey.

Great story:

My cousin was a nationally ranked swimmer at Ohio State and was even team captain. He got a shot at the Olympic try-outs in 1964. Before the heat he jumped in the pool with Don Schollander to warm up. He looked over towards Schollander's lane and noticed he was keeping up with him easily and felt he had a great shot to make the team until he noticed that Schollander was only porpoising (kicking with his legs and feet). He did not make the team. Schollander won 4 gold that year. image
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Does bridge count? I have participated in national events-only win was in a limited event.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    D-2 Cross Country and Track
  • Options

<< <i>Does bridge count? I have participated in national events-only win was in a limited event. >>

Sure. Never played the game but understand that it is quite intricate.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    yeah. Little League. image

i've hooped it up with local pros in the distant past......through mutual friends i was able to team up & run up and down the court at half speed and dish to guys like Kiki Vandeweghe and Chip Engelland, who is a highly regarded shooting coach in the NBA. very temporary. it was way more fun watching those guys compete from the sidelines.

but, by far my favorite experience was playing 2-man beach volleyball with a buddy against Wilt Chamberlain and another buddy. never get sick of telling the story. Wilt spiked a perfect set off the top of my head and knocked me flat. image
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried and mostly succeeded in Ladies 101 in HS and college. My final GPA found me with a solid magna cum laude matriculation in this finest of all sport. Perhaps my most prized trophy was my little black book.

I do admit to once going out for HS football till the offense put some damaging crunches on me. I decided hanging in the student section was more my "strong suit" and much less painful on those brutally cold and dark New England Fall/Winter afternoons.
  • Options

<< <i>I do admit to once going out for HS football till the offense put some damaging crunches on me. >>

I had the athletic ability of a tortoise in Junior High. Was decent at wrestling though. I told the gym teacher/coach that I wanted to go out for the team. He looked at me, smiled and said I would get killed.

Wise man!
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    Just high school. Probably could have gotten a scholarship to a lesser school. Abs no chance of going to the pros. So it was time to focus on academics and a job.

Was the only four year letterman in a class of 600 and vs major prep and public schools. Nothing remarkable to brag about. Athletics wasn't gonna pay a single bill.
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Division one high school hockey team
    Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    As an 8th grader wrestler I finished in 3rd place in the Oregon state finals for my weight class. There were only three competitors and I got pinned in both my matches. But hey, I finished 3rd! image
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Played baseball into my 40s .Different leagues.Great Field not hit.CYO football was recruited by the best high school in the State back in the day by former Mich state coach and Former Steelers Assistant coach George Perles,Was not able tuition to attend his High School.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)