Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Milan, a potpourri of peoples

Founded around 400 B.C.E. by Celtic peoples, it has since become a major industrialized center of Italy and the capital of Lombardy. In the intervening centuries, the city has been dominated by Rome, Byzantium, Charlemagne, France, Spain and Austria.

In the 15th and 16th centuries, Italy was a terrible mess from internal struggles as well as from outside states like France. The resulting "Italian Wars" led Louis XII of France to become the Duke of Milan (1500-13). This representative piece is a Grosso from the Eric P. Newman collection, graded MS63 by NGC. It is darkly toned, as you can see, but is also richly toned and has its charms for such a simple 500 year old button.

In 1525, Charles V of Spain defeated François I at the Battle of Pavia, and thus taking Milan. The line of the Spanish Habsburgs ended with the death of Charles II in 1700. The next piece is a 1694 Filippo (Dav-4007) bearing the portrait of Charles II. I posted this coin in early November in a GTG thread to illustrate the difficulty in grading many large early Italian States issues.

After a brief struggle with a French claim to the Spanish throne, the Austrian Habsburgs were able to claim Milan and most of Spain's Italian possessions. This next coin is a Scudo (of 6 Lire), dated 1779. Dav-1386. A somewhat common coin in average circulated condition, this lustrous, attractive choice coin is now a condition rarity.

Portrait side: veiled bust right of Maria Theresa; legend: M. THERESIA. D.G. R. IMP. HU. BO. REG. A. A. Shield side: crowned oval shield of 4-fold arms with central shield, crossed branches below, date at end of legend; legend: MEDIOLANI - DUX.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Comments