Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ebay Auction with No Photo but....

...there's a photo in the Redbook. I was looking around Ebay and came across a 1944D Twenty Cent Piece. I have never heard of a 1944 twenty cent piece. There was no photo so I sent the seller a request for a photo of the coin. This was the reply:
Sorry, no photo, but this coin is listed and pictured in the Red Book.
I'm going to pass on this one.
PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.

Comments

• Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    The coin must be a 20 Centavos piece, struck in the Phillipines.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it a pissing liberty variety?
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    This coin was struck at the Denver Mint for circulation in the Phillipines.
    Does that mean it's not a u.s. coin?
  • Options

<< <i>The coin must be a 20 Centavos piece, struck in the Phillipines. >>

That's not in the Red Book... is it?
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    It's in my 1993 redbook.
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Yes, it should be in the "red book", Jeremy. Try under "Phillipines".
  • Options
    MrLeeMrLee Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭
    << This coin was struck at the Denver Mint for circulation in the Phillipines during, and after, WWII. This 20 cent piece says, "UNITED STATES of AMERICA" on the obverse and carries the "D" mint mark. It is composed of 90% silver as were other United States coins at the time. >>

Yep. Phillipines.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Well so much for me to quitely cherry a mate for my 1938 20¢ piece and my McArther Peso. Maybe none of the DarkSiders will see your post. It's probably an ugly coin don't bid without a pict. image
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    My main point is that a photo in the Red Book does not represent what the coin being sold actually looks like.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "HungryKitty" sounds like a game of poker where no one is playing!!!!! Quite appropo for the auction!

Airplane nut . . . it better be pissing even for ten bucks!
    Doug
  • Options
    For what it's worth, there is a picture of a 20 centavos silver issue on page 319 of the 2001 red book. With the huge value (according to this red book) of $3.00 in MS63 for a 1944D.

A little more info from the seller would have been nice.

Pete
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    The auction ended with a $27 bid.
  • Options

<< <i>Yes, it should be in the "red book", Jeremy. Try under "Phillipines". >>

Good call image Never seen it before
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    $27, that's really weird. Mine cost me $4.75 and it had a picture of a pretty toned model in the listing.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file