Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

A new box and pack authentication option

Today, I received back a partial Donruss wax box run that I had authenticated by Tom Salem at opcbaseball.com. Here are some pics of the boxes that have been wrapped. The shrink wrap and labels look awesome. I had no hesitation in sending Tom the boxes to authenticate, as he has 25 plus years of experience in evaluating at wax:

Comments

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    here we go
    Mike
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks great, John!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Very nice John. I like the disclaimer that Tom has on his label. What are Tom's fees?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Bystander Bob here, watching to see where this goes.
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Tim and Doug. To answer the fee question, Tom charges 5% of the product value plus return shipping. That is very reasonable.

BTW, the hologram on the sticker is nice too. It should prevent counterfeiting. And, Doug, I too like the disclaimer on the label.
  • Options
    I like this a lot too.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I hope the OPC labeling on the cellophane is not confusing to any potential buyers?? JW
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never hurts to have marketplace competition. Congrats to Tom for getting this going image
  • Options
    sportscardstopsportscardstop Posts: 526 ✭✭✭
    Will his wrapping carry the same type of premium as BBCE? If they both charge 5%, wouldn't you submit to the company that is known for being the leader in that area? I'm not saying Tom doesn't know his stuff. And there are probably a few people on here that are knowledgeable enough to authenticate wax. But if he isn't as well known as BBCE, then I can't see it carrying a huge premium. Hopefully he can get his name out there more in the authentication area and build up this part of his business.
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    I can see that Tom has a strong reputation here, but I'd like details on how he earned it. Additionally, it looks like a carbon copy of bbce authentication, including the price. Can people chime in on the positives of the service that may differ? This is actually my first time seeing this.
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    The reason why BBCE works is they've been selling unopenend for years very successfully...I can verify and authenticate packs very well as I return as much as I buy on ebay. I don't know who this is authenticated boxes and frankly if I bought one, I would open the box and authenticate the packs myself for my own comfort level. I have no problem with others in the market but there needs to be a reputation tied to it...whoever this is probably has a strong marketing plan...good luck.
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    sportscardstopsportscardstop Posts: 526 ✭✭✭
    A little OT, but if his website and authentication takes off and becomes huge in the industry, could there be an issue with the name? I thought Upper Deck had the naming rights to OPC/O-Pee-Chee in the industry. I'm just curious if Tom has already looked into this.
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    I forgot to mention that according to the website, Tom is doing a special whereby if you have one product authenticated, the second is free. That is good value. I think his positive reputation will spread quickly as people use his service. Let me just say that I love BBCE and will continue to do business with them, I know that opcbaseball.com has a lot of positives to offer in not only opc products, but also in wax, etc.
  • Options
    You know what they say... you can't have Coke without Pepsi
  • Options
    TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    Nothing wrong with competition.
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem I foresee is similar to sites that try to compete with eBay. No matter how much a potential customer respects Tom's expertise, he will want to know that the overall marketplace does too. Yet it's tough to gain marketplace acceptance without a lot of business. Catch 22 kind of scenario.
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You know what they say... you can't have Coke without Pepsi >>

Maybe he can be like an sgc to Psa?
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭
    In general, competition is good. But the name of the company and logo is confusing because it makes it seem like the product is OPC IMHO. My other comment is that the look and price seems to be a carbon copy of BBCE so I wonder why a customer would submit to the number two player instead of the market leader? To me competition should spur innovation.

If one clones Ebay and calls it Aboy, it's the same thing but without the brand.
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not much one could do about the look of the cellophane. That's going to have to be a carbon copy of BBCE. Only other option would be what, wrapping in some non clear material? No collector is going to want that. I can see where OPC on the wrapping might cause confusion however.
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Not much one could do about the look of the cellophane. That's going to have to be a carbon copy of BBCE. Only other option would be, wrapping in some non clear material? No collector is going to want that. I can see where OPC on the wrapping might cause confusion however. >>

Can't the logos be only on the bottom of the box? I suspect that's not the cheapest way to go, but that's what's great about competition. Whover can credibly wrap the box and leave the look of the box alone, wins my business.
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    All authentication of boxes does is give the person who is buying or ripping it the confidence that the last person to view, touch and inspect the packs in the raw is an expert in the field. I've never bought anything from Tom, but I'd be comfortable purchasing from him because he's been in the game for a very, very, very long time....much longer than I've been, so I count on the experience of him and Steve when it comes to buying unopened products.

Personally I don't think it's big business to go into box authenticating (right now he's probably doing this to get his name out there), but where the money is in this is that someone like Tom, with a reputable business and tremendous amount of experience, can authenticate his own product and ask a slight premium for it.

Patrick
  • Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Can't the logos be only on the bottom of the box? I suspect that's not the cheapest way to go, but that's what's great about competition. Whover can credibly wrap the box and leave the look of the box alone, wins my business. >>

Well said
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always wondered why a blister type "wrapping" of the boxes could'nt be achieved,much like the blister wrap that is done on retail outlet packs. The type you have to use scissors/razors to cut the packaging open with. This would provide a sturdier protection as well. Probably would add to cost to do, but I think it would present itself well for displaying.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    Always wondered why a blister type "wrapping" of the boxes could'nt be achieved,much like the blister wrap that is done on retail outlet packs. The type you have to use scissors/razors to cut the packaging open with

That is exactly how GAI encased the boxes they certified.

Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    Lots of originality in this venture here.

No offense but how much of a step up is this from something like pro grading, Steve does what he does because he has seen exponentially more packs over the years than any of us. Maybe Tom has been collecting or been in business for 25 years but no way he has remotely the experience to back this up and to put a premium on them outside or someone else has looked at the packs.

Kind of like when I ask a collecting buddy to take a look at a few of my items
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The market will decided. If OPC sealed boxes start getting a premium over non sealed, then it will be successful. They may not surpass BBCE, but if the valued gained is over 5%, then it is worth it.

The question is for high dollar boxes, will collectors send them to OPC for authentication over BBCE?
    Mike
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    The pro gradings of the world helped people who weren't satisfied with the opinion they received from PSA and SGC. Some people may not be satisfied with the opinion they receive from BBCE, so they will like that they have another opportunity to have their boxes wrapped in plastic.
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    I also see the title says, "A new box and pack authentication option." While PSA doesn't authenticate boxes they do authenticate packs, and using PSA's boards to promote a new pack authentication service should not be allowed.
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A little OT, but if his website and authentication takes off and becomes huge in the industry, could there be an issue with the name? I thought Upper Deck had the naming rights to OPC/O-Pee-Chee in the industry. I'm just curious if Tom has already looked into this. >>

The use of the OPC logo and placing a third party website under the logo are probably the most problematic aspects, unless for some reason the original trademark lapsed. Possibly.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    I wonder if Tom only has (2) people writing his labels also?
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    A couple of points:

1) Kudos to Tom for having the stones to branch out and try something different. Whether you see value in his product or not, he's invested a lot of his time and money in this project. He hasn't, to my knowledge, ever screwed anybody on these boards and anybody who has dealt with him has had nothing but great things to say. Why anybody would bash him for pursuing a new business or revenue channel on these boards says more about them than it does Tom.

2) In my communications with Tom he expressed to me that he started this because he's been picking up a ton of wax and instead of continually sending to BBCE for 5% + shipping, he might as well do it himself since he's 100% certain every box he sends is legit. So, as Mullins stated, the motivation for this was to add a little bump to the products he is already selling. And if it's a service that other collectors and dealers see value in, then it might as well be offered as an option. I don't think for a second that Tom believes he'll be biting into BBCE's business in any significant way or that he's going to be able to retire as a result of adding this new service. But it is a great way for him to reduce overhead, increase margins on his own unopened products, and market who he is and what he specializes in (OPC baseball).

3) I doubt Steve cares that Tom is offering this service. And if he does, it provides more motivation for him to continue to the great job he has been of keeping bad product from getting authenticated and leaking into the marketplace. I'm not saying this applies to Steve in any way because it probably doesn't, but healthy competition keeps businesses from getting lazy and spreading themselves too thin.

4) Good luck, Tom.

Lee
  • Options
    Reputation means everything and opcbaseball is legit but should we prepare for 98 other authentication services now?
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭

<< <i>Why should McDonald's care
    if Burger King and Wendy's open up. This is America. It's all good for everybody here. >>

Just a guess but likely because they may sell less burgers.
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No offense to Tom and /or his Company which I'm sure is Damn good but...

I'll stick with Steve and BBCE. I live 100 miles from the shop and get A#1 customer service (By name) when I stop in, and it is really not even up for discussion.

But, for topic of conversation, no, you cannot have Coke w/o Pepsi!

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    It comes down to what you plan to do with the product..that simple.
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    It was the summer of 1978. I was 8 years old at the time. I remember sitting in my room opening 1978 Topps baseball cards. I had loads of them from rips earlier in the year as well. I sat on the floor and put cards in order 1 by 1. I checked each 1 off on the checklists until I completed the set.
    This is the earliest time I remember as kid playing with cards. Year after year, that's all I wanted - Baseball cards for my birthday, Baseball cards for Christmas, Baseball cards Baseball cards Baseball cards! I lived in Ashland Mass. until I went to High School. At that point, I started getting in to girls,playing sports and just hanging with friends. My High School years are the only years I don't think I did anything with sports cards.

My father had a oldies but goodies store dealing in vintage records (Rock N Mania - Framingham, Ma.). I was always down there helping him out. I never liked the music business but I learned a lot. Watching him buy collections, record/music shows and dealing with people every day. Late my senior year in High school(1987), I asked him if I could throw some cards in a showcase. He laughed me off but I kept asking him. He finally gave in. He let me use a 6 ft. glass showcase to display some cards.

This was the beginning of big things for me. Things took off after a couple weeks. I had more people buying from me out of the 6 ft. showcase than the record store was doing. The store at the time was slow but when compact discs came in to play, it provided a big boost to his business. I was supposed to go College as I was seeking a scholarship to play Hockey. It never worked out.

After I graduated, I wanted to do away with that 6 ft showcase and open my own store. I took a 800 square ft. spot below the record shop where they kept all their extra product. I put a sign up on a very busy Rte 9 highway and things were booming! Things grew so fast for me. My card business was still booming after a couple years but my fathers started to die down again with all the competition from the other record stores.
    He ended up closing his store and I took over his space. I now had 2400 Sq feet of space and 1 of the largest stores in the New England area.

This was the time of the big boom for Baseball cards. Things continued to soar. Christmas eve 1992, I had a guy come in the store and sold me my 1st 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle. As they say on the Pawn Stars show "you never know what's gonna walk through that door" and that saying is so true. This is the 1 thing I miss about having a store. I had all kinds of vintage sets to older unopened wax. I remember buying boxes of 1986 Fleer basketball and prices just took off. 1 day they were going for $50/pack and then up to $75 in no time...

Over the years, at it's peak, I had as many as 6 people working for me full time. I would be doing shows all over the place. Local shows, shows in NY, Ct as well as National Conventions. I still remember having SportsNet. I was MA269. I was advertising in local papers and SCD. I also did some interviews for the local paper and radio sports show in Framingham.

That was what it was like during the good times. As the late 90's came around, business was starting to hurt. The strikes in sports did not help. Card companies were printing way too much product. Every week I was getting info on new stuff. I was buying from all the major card companies and it was too much to keep up with.

I think it was in 1997, maybe the end of 1996, on SportsNet, The ScoreBoard company was posting buys on vintage cards. I took advantage of this while my store was starting to struggle. They bought $150k in book value off me for $50k. This was over 3 transaction and 6 months.

Jan. 1998, I closed my store. I took all my inventory to my house and was dealing online. I still had so much stuff. Ebay came around and that was the place to sell. That's all I did. I got married that year, had my 1st kid and needed to find a job to cover insurance. I went to work for Fedex. I worked there part time and was still dealing online full time.

As the years went by, my inventory started to dwindle down. I sold 1.3 million cards to a company in Tenn. who repackaged them to retail stores (100 cards for like $5.00) Fast forward to 2005... at this point I knew I needed to do something if I wanted to stay involved in cards. I thought about specializing in O-Pee-Chee baseball. I knew the demand was nothing like Topps but collectors who were in to it, paid well because they were so hard to find. I had contacts in Canada from when I had my store and made several calls. I started trading my left over Hockey for anything OPC baseball. I started building up inventory and knowledge on the product itself.

Over the last few years, I have built up a good size following with the OPC baseball. The trips to Canada helped a lot! It also gave me more contacts and I have been offered all kinds of unopened. The best thing I ever did was start my own website. The traffic has grown and orders are increasing week to week.

The 1 thing I think hurt me back when I had my store, was not getting in to other things. It was tough to pay rent on baseball cards alone in 1997.
    With my website, it allows me to offer so much stuff with no extra fees like Ebay. With the amount of inventory I have been picking up in Canada I started thinking about doing my own shrink wrap. Yes I was sending my stuff to Steve , only to wrap up what I already knew was clean. I wouldn't spend thousands of dollars on unopened without checking it first. This is something I had done for all those years back when I had my store. Unopened came in a lot. So the cost to have Steve do my boxes and pay for shipping each way made no sense to me.

Shrink wrapping is not new to me. I have 2 shrink wrap machines that I got from my father when he closed his store. I was shrink wrapping things in the early 90's.

To keep up with things and to promote my website even more, I went for it. It took 3/4 months to get this done. Much longer than I thought it would take. My plans are not trying to take out the big guy but give me more exposure and build my website up even more.
    I am not new to this hobby as you would know (if you read this whole thing) and know what to look for regarding wax. I too was burned when I was young and it broke my heart when I was told someone resealed the box. I know the feeling.

As for the logos... The labels and Holograms were done well before the shrink wrap. I have started to change everything over to the PC logo.
    I don't see any issues as I own opcbaseball.com
    Everything will eventually be converted to the new logo

I hope this answers some questions and gives some of you a little knowledge of my background.

Tom Salem
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    OriolesOrioles Posts: 312 ✭✭✭
    great story. I hope you do well. The competition is good and only creates more options. I have to admit, I was a little confused early on by your website name, thinking you just sold OPC cards. I didn't pay enough attention to your posts to know better. It's clear to me now, while you are an OPC expert, you have all products.

Looks like OPC name and their logo is still being used on a 2014-15 hockey set (and maybe others). It would seem if you continued your success and your unopened wrapping gets more popular it could create an issue with Upper Deck who owns the trademark/product. While changing your logo to "PC", instead of "pee chee" inside the "O" may create a little difference, it still looks a lot like the original logo, even the placement of the three kids on the "O" are in the same spot. You seem to have a strong reputation and a good following, why not change the company and logo to include your name to avoid potential confusion/expense/risk in the future?
    Good luck with whatever you do.

Jim
  • Options
    Wow Tom I'm possibly one of the minority on here that visited that store on Route 9. Heck I distinctly remember seeing 86 Fleer basketball packs in your display case. That was the first time i had ever seen them for sale in a card shop. This is too funny now being able to draw this connection.

As for my experience in buying from Tom in his current venture, let me say that he has been first rate. I've purchased multiple OPC wax boxes and the service has been great. Everything has been extremely well packaged. When I made my first purchase of an 1986 OPC baseball box, Tom took the time to give me a call to alert me that he was getting in some BBCE wrapped 1986 boxes in case I'd rather have one of those. I took him up on that. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from Tom in the future and wish him well with his authentication service.
  • Options
    There is no chance in hell I'd own a 1974 Topps Baseball box that was shrinkwrapped in cellophane that had a logo on it that was anything to do with OPC. Gotta at least have to attempt some class in life. A 1976 Topps Vending box, in a wrapper that said OPC, would be like, well, disturbing to both own, and try to sell.

This should ONLY be used for OPC boxes. A 1978 OPC Baseball box in some OPC logo'd cellophane would be an acceptable thing. Hope you go that smart route only man.
  • Options

<< <i>but healthy competition keeps businesses from getting lazy >>

+1