Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1952 Topps Mickey Mantle Double Print?

So I have heard more than a few times that the Mick, Jackie, and Bobby Thomson are double printed in comparison to most of the hugh numbers. Does that mean there are double the number of Mantles out there than the rest of the set? Looking at the population report, there really isn't anything showing evidence of that. The Thomson and Robinson have been graded a few more times than the other stars, but certainly nothing to show there are significantly more out there....
The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
TheClockworkAngelCollection

Comments

• Options
    AUPTAUPT Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    They are double-printed to the extent that there are two of Mantle, Robinson and Thomson to every one of the other high number '52T.

This is confirmed by the directional difference of the stitching on the ball on back containing the card number. These three cards can be found with the stitching either clockwise or counterclockwise.

There are also differences found on the front of the Mantle card, most noticeably in the area of the Yankees logo and name/autograph box.
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    You always have to keep in mind that the Population report is not the best way to determine print run, as stars, rookie cards, and other valuable singles will be graded in much greater quantities than the common cards, thus, in many ways, skewing the apparent print run.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    Yet another reason the Mathews is under-loved in the Hobby
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You always have to keep in mind that the Population report is not the best way to determine print run, as stars, rookie cards, and other valuable singles will be graded in much greater quantities than the common cards, thus, in many ways, skewing the apparent print run. >>

gregmo, that definitely makes sense, but I am looking at the Bobby Thomson and Jackie Robinson DP and expecting double the number graded. They look at about 30-50%.

I guess in 1952 "Double Print" could mean different things. It's hard to believe there are 2X the number of Mantles, Jackies, and Thomsons....
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
  • Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you are correct. eddie was a fantastic 3b. cards are very undervalued based on his performance.
    Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    Beck6Beck6 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
    Another factor to consider with especially the Jackie is that the position on the sheet makes the centering very poor on most copies. A well centered Jackie is difficult to come by and negates the double print in my opinion
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    gregmo, that definitely makes sense, but I am looking at the Bobby Thomson and Jackie Robinson DP and expecting double the number graded. They look at about 30-50%.
    >>

Huh?

644 Robinsons graded
    528 Thomsons graded

Nearly every other card in the high numbers has 250-350 graded.
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Another factor to consider with especially the Jackie is that the position on the sheet makes the centering very poor on most copies. A well centered Jackie is difficult to come by and negates the double print in my opinion >>

Agree. Rarely centered.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>you are correct. eddie was a fantastic 3b. cards are very undervalued based on his performance. >>

thats what happens when you play the majority of your career in Milwaukee (just ask Hank Aaron)

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait a second while I go dig out my uncut sheet to determine if Mantle was a double print. I hadn't really looked before. Be right back...
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>
    >>

Huh?

644 Robinsons graded
    528 Thomsons graded

Nearly every other card in the high numbers has 250-350 graded. >>

Compared those to the Matthews and Campanella. Two comparable stars

482 Campanella
    498 Eddie Matthews
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>
    >>

Huh?

644 Robinsons graded
    528 Thomsons graded

Nearly every other card in the high numbers has 250-350 graded. >>

Compared those to the Matthews and Campanella. Two comparable stars

482 Campanella
    498 Eddie Matthews >>

That's true. Maybe Brooklyn Dodgers fans burned a few hundred Thomson cards because he broke their hearts. image