Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

O-Pee-Chee Blank Back Cards

I have a question regarding O-Pee-Chee blank back cards. I collect 1980's O-Pee-Chee Hockey, and I occasionally see cards with blank backs. These are not the cards that are cut from box bottoms, but look just like the regular issue cards. My question is how did these cards come about, were they misprints from factory that were issued in wax pack or were they some type of promo card that was released before the regular cards came out. I see blank backs come up on eBay and just don't know anything about them. I know Beckett grades them but not sure about PSA.

Comments

• Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have a question regarding O-Pee-Chee blank back cards. I collect 1980's O-Pee-Chee Hockey, and I occasionally see cards with blank backs. These are not the cards that are cut from box bottoms, but look just like the regular issue cards. My question is how did these cards come about, were they misprints from factory that were issued in wax pack or were they some type of promo card that was released before the regular cards came out. I see blank backs come up on eBay and just don't know anything about them. I know Beckett grades them but not sure about PSA. >>

Uncut sheets are all over the place in Canada from OPC. Full front/back version and Blank back versions. This stuff was out the back door. Side deals were being made for all kinds of product up there. I'm not sure if they even cut any of the blank back versions and think they were all sheet cut afterwords.
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    BigMKBigMK Posts: 93 ✭✭
    Yes, most of what I have seen look to have been sheet cut, and that would explain why I never see any in a PSA holder. Thanks for the reply tsalems1.
  • Options
    Board member PMKay just sent some 1988 OPC blank backs in for grading. I wonder if they got slabbed. If so it would seem to put in question whether they were sheet cut. I'm interested, because he sent 3 of them to me. I'll PM him.
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Board member PMKay just sent some 1988 OPC blank backs in for grading. I wonder if they got slabbed. If so it would seem to put in question whether they were sheet cut. I'm interested, because he sent 3 of them to me. I'll PM him. >>

They will not get graded

This is a problem with the Registry though!

I have talked to PSA about this issue but they don't want to listen to me.

1st off, these being sheet cut - none should be graded.
    2nd, pop report shows a Nolan Ryan graded in a PSA 7.

3rd..1 Registry Ryan owner has this in his set, Why is this fair to the rest of the Registry participants when they won't be able ever get a graded copy?
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭

<< <i>Board member PMKay just sent some 1988 OPC blank backs in for grading. I wonder if they got slabbed. If so it would seem to put in question whether they were sheet cut. I'm interested, because he sent 3 of them to me. I'll PM him. >>

I sent in a few 88 opc baseball cards. Not expecting them to be graded but I see that according to the POP report the Nolan Ryan #250 card shows as having 1 card graded and labeled as blank back.

link
  • Options
    BigMKBigMK Posts: 93 ✭✭
    There is a Blank Back OPC Gretzky RC on eBay now that is BGS graded. It's hard to zero in on the scan provided, but appears to have somewhat of a rough cut and is off center. From what I see, looks as if it could be a factory cut / not cut by hand? Your thoughts

Link:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/WAYNE-GRETZKY-Rookie-1979-80-O-Pee-Chee-ULTRA-RARE-Blank-Back-BGS-2-5-/301305205614?pt=US_Hockey_Trading_Cards&hash=item462730936e