Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

test your knowledge, which one is counterfeit ?

a recent thread by stone prompted me to share a few contemporary counterfeits. here is a group of four seemingly innocent 1854 quarters, but one of them isn't innocent, its an imposter. which one is it and why do you believe it is ? the answer will be revealed later today

regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything

Comments

• Options
    1854-o
    Successful business with: savoyspecial,Cazkaboom,stone,Brol,robkool,nibanny,AUandAG,mdkuom,REALGATOR,jimineez1,theump, indeetlib,mariner67,PlatinumDuck,nags,tlake22,guitarwes

My Ebay Store
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Honestly, all of them look like they could be.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Honestly, all of them look like they could be. >>

image They were busy back then.
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,082 ✭✭✭

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    anything can be fake, im looking for reasons or explanation to support an opinion
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    The upper-left 1854-O seems off-color (German silver look) with a granular-looking date
    The upper-right 1854 (P) looks like a decent coin, but is probably a bit light and made of lead. I see some bubbles in the details between the dentils and USofA
    The lower-left 1854 (P) looks like a brassy-silver alloy, maybe silver wash, with wider rims than normal, otherwise looks pretty good
    The lower-right 1854-S has strange-looking, almost hand-cut-looking obverse dentils, probably an alloy with copper in it given the red, possibly oxidation coloring on the surface, not to mention numerous reverse test scratches, the surfaces also appear porous and may not have been strongly struck or impressed upon manufacture
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    good job stone, the obverse denticles of the 1854-o is what drew my attention to it, as well as the color as stone stated, definitely german silver, the upper right is antimony which is a mixture of lead and powdered glass (the glass gives it a ring) lower left is a very good fake, being of an alloy that closely resembles worn silver. and the 1854-S should be obvious as the san fran mint didn't produce any quarters until 1855
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice group of contemporary counterfeits!
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    second row of the obverse, first coin looks like was cast, too much porosity.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bottom right - off color, granular, intentionally worn to hide details, etc.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lower left. Right arrow looks too precise. Not like the others.
  • Options
    Top left appears granular and off.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Top right.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The San Francisco mint's first issue for a quarter dollar was 1855.

The shield on the upper right 1854 looks to be off - poorly made
    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first three all look bad but the fourth isn't legible enough to form an opinion. I suspect bad also.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> test your knowledge, which one is counterfeit ? >>

No correct answer since there all bogus. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file