Home U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure how rare they are... there's been one on eBay just about each week for several weeks now. I'm sure you can see them in completed listings. I also saw an entire box of 20 of these at my table at the last Long Beach show...

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen quite a few of these too. I was going to purchase one at Long Beach but when I saw other dealers with the same slab I passed as the novelty quickly wears off and flipping it would be problematic.

peacockcoins

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone have an idea as to the origin of these slabs?
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does anyone have an idea as to the origin of these slabs? >>

China? They where made there right.image
  • SNMANSNMAN Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Not sure how rare they are... there's been one on eBay just about each week for several weeks now. I'm sure you can see them in completed listings. I also saw an entire box of 20 of these at my table at the last Long Beach show... >>

one just ended @ $129.38
    Positive Transactions with: justindan; Drunner; Segoja, Dragon, fivecents, Connecticoin, WTCG, gsa1fan, abitofthisabitofthat; commoncents05;Broadstruck; and ......more
  • The seller is a board member so just as he is very knowledgeable.
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Does anyone have an idea as to the origin of these slabs? >>

China? They where made there right.image >>

image Okay ... you got me on that one!
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭
    Kryptonite Comics has been selling these off one by one through his eBay. That was clearly a smart move since his first one realized almost $300, IIRC.

Who's to say how many more he has. Is this his last one? Does he have a box of 20? Either way, I can't see an item like this holding that kind of value for long.

Whomever paid $300 for the first one must be kicking themselves right about now.
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist based in SoCal.
  • joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ms64 rd
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Whomever paid $300 for the first one must be kicking themselves right about now. >>

Or they could be pissed at the seller for making them seem ultra-rare when there were several others in line to be sold shortly thereafter.
  • 2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭
    I kinda like it… if it was made so you could insert your own label….
    WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • sawyerjoshsawyerjosh Posts: 416 ✭✭✭
    It's my understating old PCGS slabs did not have UV protection, so potentially the insert has been bleached by the sun or other means of ultraviolet light?
    As a seller: USARarities, acloco, coindudeonebay, Twinturbo, MICHAELDIXON, blu62vette, mothra454, LukeMarshall, USARarities
    As a buyer: QualityCurrencycom, tychojoe, AurumMiner, Collectorcoins, perfectstrike, ModCrewman, LeeBone, nickel, REALGATOR, MICHAELDIXON, pointfivezero, Walkerguy21D
    Trades: georgiacop50
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The listing touts them as being quite rare, but if you're going to say something like "try and find another one," and then list a new one every week, doesn't that kind of defeat the implication?

You are bidding on a nice 1959 Lincoln Cent in a PCGS Old Green Holder in Uncirculated condition. This could be one of the rarest slabs ever offered in the market place and is a must have for you sample slab collectors. There is speculation that this slab could have been used by PCGS graders in house to test their grading skills or it could be a limited addition sample slab given out at a show. Whatever the case may be try to find another one???

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

• << <i>The listing touts them as being quite rare, but if you're going to say something like "try and find another one," and then list a new one every week, doesn't that kind of defeat the implication?

You are bidding on a nice 1959 Lincoln Cent in a PCGS Old Green Holder in Uncirculated condition. This could be one of the rarest slabs ever offered in the market place and is a must have for you sample slab collectors. There is speculation that this slab could have been used by PCGS graders in house to test their grading skills or it could be a limited addition sample slab given out at a show. Whatever the case may be try to find another one??? >>

that's shady
  • jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    In the eBay lot description, it shows "Certification Number: 0000004"
    Where did he got this info? image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prices so far were $255, $157.50, $129.38.

I suspect they aren't samples but couldn't tell you for sure what they are. Mechanical errors seems far fetched. Being bleached by the sun doesn't make sense.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You saw an entire box of 20 solid green slabs and didn't buy them?? image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I once owned 11 of these and sold 10 of them them about 6 years ago.

These are not ultra rare.

I was asked about this slab and I finally realized I had owned them about 6 or 7 years ago!
    Wow, my memory is going!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We all collect what we want...if this is your thing, good on ya.

That said, the phrase "Rare PCGS Slab" makes me chuckle.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file