Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Books on Spanish Colonial coins

BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
Does anyone have any recommendations on research material on Spanish colonial coins, Mexican 8R etc?

Comments

• Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Sorry I do not, but I would be interested to see what you get in response. It is an area I need to read up on.
  • Options
    DeliaBugDeliaBug Posts: 881
    There are tons of works and general references but here are a few that specialize in 8 reales and Colonials:

Calbeto de Grau, Gabriel. COMPENDIO DE LAS PIEZAS DE OCHO REALES. 2 Volumes. 1970. About $200-300. Covers ALL 8 reales - Colonial issues, Spain, Mexico & other Central South American mints.

Dunigan, Mike, and J.B. Parker. RESPLANDORES: CAP AND RAYS 8 REALES OF THE REPUBLIC OF MEXICO 1823–1897. 1997. $250ish

Dasí, Tomás. ESTUDIO DE LOS REALES DE A OCHO. 5 Volumes. 1950. $500ish. Very hard to find.

Herrera, Adolfo. EL DURO. 2 Volumes. 1914. $300-400.

Menzel, Sewall. COBS, PIECES OF EIGHT AND TREASURE COINS: THE EARLY SPANISH-AMERICAN MINTS AND THEIR COINAGES, 1536–1773. 2004. $100 (I think you can still buy from ANS)

Those are off the top of my head. I can probably come up with a more if you would like.
  • Options
    Awesome DeliaBug, thanks!
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it's obvious but it should be noted some of these books are not in English. Just in case no hablas espanol.
  • Options

<< <i>Maybe it's obvious but it should be noted some of these books are not in English. Just in case no hablas espanol. >>

Thanks, figured as much from the titles but good to confirm given the prices.
  • Options
    DeliaBugDeliaBug Posts: 881
    Actually, Calbeto's Compendio is in English and Spanish. Hence the demand.

Dasi on Spanish colonial coins is the standard reference but yea that one is totally in Spanish.

Also to note, the reprints of some of these items use plates which are vastly inferior to the originals.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For Spanish Colonial, the first purchase should probably be Calico's Numismatica Espanola (2008).
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dunigan's Book is in English. It is helpful for the 8R Cap & Rays series. It's possible Dunigan still may have a few copies. I bought me copy from him.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    This isn't a book of course, but I just wanted to throw this out there if anyone isn't aware of it.

In my large trade with LordM he traded me some spanish colonial stuff and I found this of great help:

http://www.coindatabase.com/
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    I agree with the recommendation of Numismática Española by Calico. This is a comprehensive catalog of the coins of Spain and her colonies.

Similarly, Compendium VIII Reales by Gabriel Calbeto de Grau offers a good overview of the 8 reales sized coins. Be careful when buying to assure you're getting both volumes. Many people sell them separately.

I must say that I was surprised no one mentioned The Milled Columnarios of Central and South America by Frank Gilboy, 1999. In my opinion this is the essential reference work on Spanish American Pillar Coinage of 1732 to 1772. This book covers, in great detail, the worlds and seas coins of 8 reales as well as the smaller denominations.

In the interest of disclosure I must admit I have two extra copies for sale. Regardless of where you purchase this book, I would recommend it if you have an interest in that series. I've seldom seen any numismatic work provide as much detail on a particular coin series.

There are also Eight Reales and Pesos of the New World by Carlos A. Elizondo, Jr. 1971 and Coins of Mexico, 1536-1963 by Neil Utberg 1963.

Enjoy!