Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Platinum coinage

Besides the 3, 6 and 12 roubles do any of you know of any other circulation strike platinum coins anywhere in the world?

I'm reading about British sovereign counterfeits made with a plat and copper alloy during the mid 19th century but didn't find any pictures of them. Same goes for counterfeits of spanish coins (Colombia was a big plat producer then). Some website mention the counterfeits, but no pictures.

References: Too many to list. PM for details. 100% satisfaction both as buyer and seller. As a seller, I ship promptly and keep buyers updated.

Comments

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've read that Russia is the only country to have issued platinum coinage for circulation, although it's arguable how many of those pieces actually circulated.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No-one else has produced circulating platinum coinage. No other country in the early 1800s had a large enough platinum stockpile just sitting around, with no apparent usefulness other than turning it into counterfeit-resistant, durable coinage. As for whether or not they actually circulated, only the 3-rouble coin was produced in sufficient quantity to have been a significant component of the economy. The higher denominations were probably made just for the nobility to collect.

As for plated-platinum counterfeits, I recall seeing a picture of a platinum fake Spanish-gold 8 escudos, from a Colombian mint, in a book on the history of platinum I read once.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    vprvpr Posts: 604 ✭✭✭
    Thanks. Can't seem to get my hands on the 3 rouble at a decent price.

Found a counterfeit 8 escudos. Text

Thanks for the information!
    References: Too many to list. PM for details. 100% satisfaction both as buyer and seller. As a seller, I ship promptly and keep buyers updated.