Home U.S. Coin Forum

Regarding Ebay best offer listings.

At what price, am I entitled to be offended. Actually, I welcome all offers, but some are just stupid.

Comments

• RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    I send offensive offers to Blue Moon Coins all the time.

Russ, NCNE
  • mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>At what price, am I entitled to be offended. >>

Below melt value for PCGS certified gold coins image

<<I send offensive offers to Blue Moon Coins all the time.>>

• send offensive offers to Blue Moon Coins all the time

Mot sure if those guys can be offended.
  • Mark- I have yet to see any I say ANY of your coins go with a best offer- yeah your going to get a few goof balls- but some of us serious buyers would like to get in a low price once in awhile...
  • Mark- I have yet to see any I say ANY of your coins go with a best offer- yeah your going to get a few goof balls- but some of us serious buyers would like to get in a low price once in awhile...

I never have had much luck with best offers. I generally price the coins within 25% of cost, and don't leave more than 10-15% or so, for discounts.
  • At what price, am I entitled to be offended. Actually, I welcome all offers, but some are just stupid.

I started accepting best offers about a month ago on all our items and some have been pretty ridiculous. I can understand getting an offer of near greysheet for a toned coin and that doesn't offend me one bit. It is the $1000 offers for PF69UCAM Barbers and $7.85 offers for MS67 Walking Liberty halves that can be frustrating. I have effectively updated my blocked bidder list because when I see an offer like that and the user has an 85% feedback score I simply decline their offer and add their username.

I will occasionally get one bidder who thinks they are cute by submitting outrageously lowball offers on 20+ items and adds something to the effect "I hope I get lucky on one of these." in the message part. Like I'm gonna accidentally hit the wrong button and oops, I just sold a $5000 item for $12.69. I usually give them a warning to only submit reasonable offers if they have a 99% feedback score or higher.

It's like walking into someone's establishment, looking at their merchandise with the price tags clearly visible and then offering $10 for a $2000 item. If you can't afford it, then feel free to look at it and ask questions and enjoy it's presence. I just can't imagine anyone with any ounce of decency walking into a car dealership and offer 20 bucks for a 2006 Corvette Z06. I guess being behind a keyboard makes it ok.

eBay should have a feature to block all offers lower than a hidden price set by the seller.
    Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • I made what I felt to be a very fair offer on this coin the other day at half the seller's BIN. Much to my surprise and pleasure he accepted. Probably more than the coin is worth but anyone who has something with color these days seems to think they're a millionaire.

1958-D Quarter
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I made what I felt to be a very fair offer on this coin the other day at half the seller's BIN. Much to my surprise and pleasure he accepted. Probably more than the coin is worth but anyone who has something with color these days seems to think they're a millionaire.
    >>

I'll see that and raise you - I won this coin earlier this week with an offer of about 40% of the Buy It Now:

Clipped 1855 Half Cent

I really never expected the offer to be accepted, even though it is probably a little higher than the coin would sell for in a normal auction. It's a nice sized clip for a half cent, unquestionably a genuine Mint product, and much cheaper than Blue Moon's $19,950 clipped proof half cent for the type set collector on a budget. image I think there may be some cleaning or tooling around the date, too, which PCI didn't think was bad enough to keep the coin out of a gold holder.... First order of business when it arrives is to free it from that gold-rimmed sarcophagus, then it goes into my type set.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • I have never participated in submit best offers because as a buyer I would like to get a bargain. Just place a bid and if it wins fine. Not trying to make it high enough that it will be accepted.
    and as a seller I want to make money. The highest bid in the 7 day period is accepted.

On both sides of the equation a auction with low starting bid fits the bill.
  • I offered $150+$6 shipping on a coin with BIN of $175+$6 shipping. The seller refused and counter offered saying he would accept $169 + $6 shipping.

What? Why have a 'make offer' if you are unwilling to come down substantially in price? Or why not just list it at BIN of $169??

The coin still sits out there unsold with several declined offers...
    Mark Piersall
    Random Collector
    www.marksmedals.com
  • CladiatorCladiator Posts: 18,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Offended. I'd say anything under a quarter should offend hehe imageimageimage
  • Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭
    I think people make a mistake when they view Best Offers as "bargain coins". Most aren't. It just
    means the seller is seeing who's willing to pay the most.

My favorite was the 40% offer I received on a PCGS certified proof morgan when his "daughter" accidently pressed buy-it-now. Since I could wholesale the coin with a phone call to about 10 different places for twice that amount I told him what he could do with his offer.

I avoid using Best Offer now when selling on eBay. It's just not working for me.

• BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    I stopped using the "best offer" feature as well. It doesn't seem that anyone wants to pay fair money for decent coins if you go by the "offers" made, and please note that offers was in quotation marks.

Initially I thought it would be a good feature. Sort of like at a show. Price marked $400, would you take $375 sort of thing........boy was I mistaken. $400, would you take $150? It was nothing more than a pain in the *ss.

BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've used "Best Offer" as both a buyer and a seller. I must be fortunate compared to other board members, since I have received only fair offers (haven't rejected one yet) and made fair offers too (none have been rejected). I like the eBay feature, but agree that sellers should be able to automatically block offers below a certain amount...as mentioned in a previous post.
  • BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

I BO'd a $129K darkside collection with $6.51.

Oddly enough I was turned down image

I thought you question "At what price, am I entitled to be offended" was telling... To me, enabling the best offer tab on an auction is an invitation for the loony-tunes to come out of the woodwork.

Why be offended? At least they're not binding, and often worth a chuckle or two.

For some auctions, I wish that there was a way to make a best offer with barnyard animals... I'll trade you a goat for that dog...

• relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

I put best offers into 3 categories:

1) Reasonable offer - I accept it
    2) Low-ball offer - I ignore it
    3) Cheap-azz offer - I block the bidder

It helps filter out the nice people on eBay who only want to rip you and cuts them off from a cheap source of coins.
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had people make best offers on numerous occasions which I accepted. However, I prefer not to deal with the lowballers / tirekickers period. At a show where sales are good you don't even notice them. At a bad show where sales are slow its like they spawn out of the woodwork. On ebay I can set the computer to auto reject their low ball offers and not have the irritant of their presence.

On ebay:
    1. I set the computer to auto reject low offers.
    2. I set the computer to auto accept good offers.
    3. The grey area in between I leave for review / counter offer.

Example: I have $30 cost in a banknote. Market value is $100 (Krause), I set the computer to auto accept offers equal to or grater than $80. Offers lower than $60 I set the computer to auto reject. The inbetween area I leave for review, possible counter offer.

Coins & Currency
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Did they have computers 9 years ago? Maybe you got stuck in the time machine...
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,635 ✭✭✭✭✭
    taking best offers is the same as saying, "hey, i know the coin is overpriced."

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• 410a410a Posts: 1,325
    If you listed price is some how fair to begin with and I mean all things considered i.e. color, toning, eye appeal, grade, no problems. I would only make an offer to a dealer within 10% of the asking price. I don't offer any less, I mean why bother to waste both parties time. It's not uncommon to make an offer of 90% of the listed price. A firm "I will pay you" offer is business like.
  • DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I sell items I start them generally at 80% to 90% of their actual worth. I will still get "offers" from people willing to toss out a number to see if I'll sell before the auction concludes. These offers have always been reasonable and are generally accepted. Best offer just invites guess work from the bottom feeders.

I don't need the grief.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was checking some auctions earlier today and scrolling down in an auction were several thumbnails of other coins. When you hover over one, it would show the current bid on that auction. I did that with a common date 1920 WLH PCGS AU55, it showed the current bid was at $535. Wow, I thought, that was really high for a $135 coin. Well, my curiosity had me click on it and it turned out to be a "buy it now" or make an offer auction. No-one is really bidding on the coin as I was lead to believe. But what does this say about the seller? Is this seller following the ANA code of ethics? The bid price can't be that high in the grey sheet? It's a common date with a mint of over 6 million.

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    eBay should have a feature to block all offers lower than a hidden price set by the seller.

They do. When listing a coin with BIN there are price settings that allow you to automatically decline offers below a set amount and to automatically accept offers above a certain amount. Any offers in between the setting amounts requires personal review by the seller.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    just about the only time i get problem offers on bin/obo listings is when i forget to put the minimum accepted amount but which is fixed after i get an offer of any amount that is not accepted.

sometimes people bypass it altogether and send their offer via messaging. sometimes it is good, sometimes not.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blast from the past now just set and third strike their out.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file