Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

looking for opinions on grade received

Pictured below are 3 fairly rare half cents, in order:
1794 c-1b
1794 c-2b
1795 c-2b
The 1794's were both graded last year and both were give very generous grades of G-4, and AG-3
The 1795 is still at PCGS - I have asked for a review with explanation- it was given the grade vg details damaged.
I don't see it ( and probably never will ) -I still am extremely pleased with the coin (not the holder) and happy to
own it despite what the plastic says. Just looking for other opinions -For what it's worth it was graded by the EAC people
as a F-12 at it's last auction appearance The 94's I'm sure were net graded- why not the 95
palmer

Comments

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Code 98? I am guessing PCGS felt it was whizzed or smoothened.

Is the color correct?
    Lance.
  • Options
    coindudeonebaycoindudeonebay Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭
    I'm with Lance, the color just looks wrong. The top two have either plain damage or environmental damage and shouldn't have graded. Feel lucky that you got two out of three! It's not a bad coin though, just probably cleaned long ago which makes the color off.
  • Options
    rxerrxer Posts: 280 ✭✭
    Lance - this photo is over exposed - it is a more correct medium brown, not nearly as
    light as the picture indicates. Pretty sure it was not smoothed, whizzed or re-engraved-
    I looked it over pretty good before sending it in, No dips from smoothing or build-up from
    whizzing are evident
    palmer
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Being a Morgan dollar varieties guys, I'm useless in any discussion of copper.
    But I'm fascinated by the oversized 9 and undersized 5 in the date. Were they used on all 1795 half cents?
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Send the 95 to an EAC dealer who submits and have them submit it, it will likely straight grade. Maybe there's some environmental damage on the c-1b or maybe those planchets came that way. There's a lot worse in slabs from both services. The 94 c-2b just looks like wear to me, plus a typical bad planchet. For those that don't collect these, many of the early half cents were struck on "spoiled" large cent planchets, meaning they were too grungy to use for cents, so they used them for half cents.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let us know what PCGS says. Code 98 can be for many reasons. Here's what PCGS says on their website.
    Lance.

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on the photo, looks like it was dipped or cleaned in the past -- kind of unnatural looking. However, I'm no early copper expert either.
  • Options
    rxerrxer Posts: 280 ✭✭
    here is a more accurate color of the coin - besides
    color is not the issue - it is coming back as damaged
    palmer
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>here is a more accurate color of the coin - besides
    >>

Unless it is on the rim, I am not seeing any damage.
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>here is a more accurate color of the coin - besides
    >>

Unless it is on the rim, I am not seeing any damage. >>

If you are referring to the reverse rim, at UNITED, I agree. If not, I'm not seeing it.
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coin has been in contact with a mechanical device. Notice that only the deepest marks remain. All of the rest have been buffed out.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file