Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

German States NEWP

Won this one in the Heritage sale tonight, another of the bottom of the barrel Newman collection coins. The 1828 S Saxony 1/2th Taler in MS65, the envelope says he paid .35 c for it so he bought it cheaper than I did although I was surprised it went so low. These aren't rare but are tough in mint state, mintage of 256,000 and this was a size of coin well used in commerce.

Anton as King of Saxony, aka Anton Clemens Theodor Maria Joseph Johann Evangelista Johann Nepomuk Franz Xavier Aloys Januar. He married Princess Caroline of Savoy who unfortunately died after only a year of marriage, he then married Archduchess of Austria Maria Theresa daughter of the man who would become Emperor Leopold II. He was quite old when he succeeded his brother in 1827, 71 being quite a ripe old age back in the day, so really did not set out to do much in the way of governing. In 1830 he was pushed into naming his much younger nephew as Co-Regent, and in 1831 a new constitution came into effect and Saxony became a constitutional monarchy with essentially all power being placed in the hands of two houses of parliament.

Comments

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>aka Anton Clemens Theodor Maria Joseph Johann Evangelista Johann Nepomuk Franz Xavier Aloys Januar. >>

My wife and I have been trying to decide on a name for our soon to be born son. I believe I've found the one!

Seriously though, that's a long name, and a nice pickup! Congrats.
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice, Jeff.

I had a few I was tracking yet went out of the reasonable price range.
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the obverse is really nice, and you got beautiful eye appeal !!!