Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Most beautiful world coins ever?

Let's say you were considering a box of 20 of the most beautiful (and still affordable) coins in history. What would you include?

Some parameters:

*You should only consider design, not condition (toning, rarity, grade, etc.)

*You should also keep it within a reasonable price range, let's say under $500 per example. Price limitation must be considered for many (most?) collectors.

*Artistic design beats out historical significance. We will save that aspect for another box of 20.

So, with that said, what coins should be considered for a box of 20 that is comprised of the most artistically pleasing coin designs ever produced?

Comments

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I don't know how you'd order the other 16. I say 16, because the #1, #2, #3, and #4 spots would be taken by Jadwiga.

I would say the Una would be #5, but she's outside of your cost parameters. Maybe the New Guinea 5 mark?
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    I've seen children's play coins with more attractive obverses than that!!!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>I've seen children's play coins with more attractive obverses than that!!!!!!! >>

I'm sorry, Hype. It's not opinion, and it's not open to debate. It is, in fact, the world's most beautiful coin.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    I agree with the Una suggestion, maybe more along the lines of some of the silver Britannia designs.

Here's one I was thinking of : Italy (coin archives)
  • Options

<< <i> It is, in fact, the world's most beautiful coin. >>

Well, there ya go! image
  • Options
    No doubt one of the Quadriga pieces would be there. Yours is a modern interpretation of the ancient. But it's certainly more affordable than the "real" pieces ($2M):

--Severian the Lame
  • Options
    Ooh... there's a beauty! There are some great ancient designs that are just out of the realm of consideration.

Like this one. (coin archives)

That's why I put the limitation in there, since most of us won't ever be able to own certain coins. This is more of a "do-able" list, I guess. One we can all consider as a possibility.
  • Options

<< <i>I've always been quite fond of the Roty designed "Sower". >>

I'm with you on that one. Great design!
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I've seen children's play coins with more attractive obverses than that!!!!!!! >>

I'm sorry, Hype. It's not opinion, and it's not open to debate. It is, in fact, the world's most beautiful coin. >>

dam. welp. you can't argue with something like that on the Internet. I stand corrected. image

imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While design should withstand the test of time, issues associated with technology and the ability to reduce a design to an exceptional finished product should be factored into this. Perhaps breaking this down by centuries and identifying 10 coins for each century prior to 1600 and 20 for 1600 to the present. The reason for the increase is due to population/countries and number of coins produced.

I am suggesting this out of fairness and in an effort to have more of an apples to apples, oranges to oranges comparison to the extent that is even possible.

I appreciate opinions, but there should be some perimeters so we are not comparing ancient Greek to modern Italian. I suppose there could even be a lively debate of when modern Italian starts...

I hope you all appreciate the reasoning even if you disagree with it.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gothic Crown.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

<< <i>While design should withstand the test of time, issues associated with technology and the ability to reduce a design to an exceptional finished product should be factored into this. Perhaps breaking this down by centuries and identifying 10 coins for each century prior to 1600 and 20 for 1600 to the present. The reason for the increase is due to population/countries and number of coins produced.

I am suggesting this out of fairness and in an effort to have more of an apples to apples, oranges to oranges comparison to the extent that is even possible.

I appreciate opinions, but there should be some perimeters so we are not comparing ancient Greek to modern Italian. I suppose there could even be a lively debate of when modern Italian starts...

I hope you all appreciate the reasoning even if you disagree with it. >>

I see what you mean. There are probably a good deal of factors that we each can apply to this scenario. I've already got some great ideas and was thinking of making a solid list, just to see how it looks on paper. I'll bet the majority of the coins come out as post-1600 coins just by affordability alone.
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While not technically a coin, I recently fell off the bandwagon and bought this (which cost $400, probably not worth that much but I kept clicking "Bid" because it was too darn gorgeous):

Belgium. Medal (1857). Forrer VI, p.487. Bronze. 60 mm. By Jacques Wiener. St. Peter's at Rome. Extremely Fine.
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    Fantstic medal SE. I've always like those.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    imageimage

(Images borrowed from here)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    LM, that is one beautiful coin.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Yeah, I keep it under my pillow at night. The plastic slab protects it from the drool. image

(Trouble is, every time I wake up from my dreams, it ain't under the pillow anymore.)

• Options
    If I had to pick a Liteside coin for the "World's Most Beautiful" list, this would be my nominee:

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Always my first choice when these posts come up.image

imageimage
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let us not forget Italy:

Actually I got a 1913 20 centesimi in a bank wrapped roll a couple of years ago.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

<< <i>Well I don't know how you'd order the other 16. I say 16, because the #1, #2, #3, and #4 spots would be taken by Jadwiga.

>>

The Jadwiga coins are some of my favourites. I really like early 20th century Polish, Portuguese, Italian and Romanian coins.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

<< <i>Let us not forget Italy >>

I was trying to decide on one from Italy and eventually chose the 2 lire (quadriga design).

Great suggestions so far!
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Pistrucci's St George slaying a dragon in a silver Crown or gold Sovereign.
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If I had to pick a Liteside coin for the "World's Most Beautiful" list, this would be my nominee:

image >>

Doesn't exactly fit the < $500 requirement set by the OP.
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If I had to pick a Liteside coin for the "World's Most Beautiful" list, this would be my nominee:

image >>

Doesn't exactly fit the < $500 requirement set by the OP. >>

Yeah, I'm loose on the budget requirement but not that loose! image
  • Options

<< <i>

Yeah, I'm loose on the budget requirement but not that loose! image >>

The 50 Lire didn't fit the bill either. Sorry. The Italian 20 cts can be bought for a couple of bucks though.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The same or substantially similar design can be found on other Italian denominations- a red 1911 10 Cent. will easily fit within the 500 limit.

The 1921Mexico SILVER 2 Pesos deserves some consideration as does the Edward VII Florin

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>image >>

I always called that the "Marianne lost her ice cream cone in a windstorm" design. image

• Options

<< <i>Doesn't exactly fit the < $500 requirement set by the OP. >>

Neither does the Gothic crown, or the Swiss 5-franc, for that matter.

I didn't read the OP very well. image

• Options

<< <i>I didn't read the OP very well >>

Neither did I.

Under $500 I would say a Gothic Florin.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    me like this thread so tttt

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me, this was the coin design that was my first love:

imageimage

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    You are not gonna take this puppy home for under $500, but what an amazing coin:

If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    A readily available type for < $500 in gem condition.

-Brandon
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>image >>

I always called that the "Marianne lost her ice cream cone in a windstorm" design. image >>

The question is so subjective that the answers reveal more about the person about than the coins themselves. In terms of the last century or so, the French 1930-1960 coins are some of the best designs that are both stylish and accurately reflect their times; the 100 fr is a great example. Better yet, the darned things actually circulated and weren't made just to appeal to collectors. But then, I think that the humble 1-10 pfennig, 1 mark and generic 5 mk silver coins of "West" Germany are amazingly effective and attractive designs (which is an odd statement indeed for someone who collects baroque papal!).

edited to add: I agree that that 20 fr rooster is a great pick also. The obverse was used on a number of turn of the century medals.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    I think the coins of Bhutan are underrated, design-wise. And they can be easily had for < $500. This one is PR68 DCAM, although you wouldn't know it from this cr@ppy PCGS Secure Plus image:

This one has a classic, regal lion and artsy dude in draped clothes w/ wreath of olive? (coinfacts photo = nicer)

Here's another pretty design IMO. Sorry I don't have a cropped image:

This one is definitely "pretty" looking, but you must have an eye for modern ... which many don't ...

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    ... these girls are pretty popular ...

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options

• Options
    Iceland 2 Kronur 1930 - commemorating 100th anniversary of Althing

• Options
    Romania

• Options
    Polska - Poland

Like to see Queen Jadwiga return on the Polish euro coins - now there is due impetus to adopting the euro with the USSR starting to rebuild it self in the bEast.
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Wonderful Portugal circulation issues. Seems to be a series that's devilishly hard to find in such nice shape!

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    Lots of beautiful coins posted here so far. Here are a few others from my collection that I find to be lovely designs.

-Brandon

• Options
    French design appears to be winning here

One of my favourites that is very affordable

[URL=http://s593.photobucket.com/user/microtome/media/Fr1362710Centimes1916-1.jpg.html]image[/URL]

David
  • Options
    Some great suggestions here, thanks everyone! I'm considering using this idea to put together a box of 20 set. A few of these suggestions I've forgotten about and others I've never seen before. But now I have a few ideas of what to start looking for.
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    I would comb the swiss shooting talers for possible contenders. A few of my favorite designs - all well under the $500 threshold in mint condition.

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage
  • Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Always my first choice when these posts come up.image

imageimage >>

I'll have to give this one honorable mention and may add it to one of the 20. I have to agree that Jadwiga should be included and agree with Trozau that the St. George reverse on the sovereign is a must.