Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone able to identify this Token?

I can't post a pic, but i can describe it easily.

It is a copper coin, almost as large as a half dollar with the number "40" on both sides, surrounded by a wreath of leaves. I think it is a token, undated, seems like it was made a long time ago. Anyone?

Comments

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ken Barr explains: The illustrated item is an American gaming counter, $20 (double eagle) denomination. These items are cataloged in "American Counters, Part 1, Double Eagle and Eagle Gold" by L. B. (Benj) Fauver, privately published, 1983. The specific item is listed as "20"-2005 / "20"-2010 (34 mm, plain edge, issued in both brass and gold-plated brass versions).
    http://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_esylum_v13n19.html
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    superpsychmdsuperpsychmd Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭
    The 40 is very large on mine but those botanical stalks are similar,. So, a gaming token,huh?
  • Options
    DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    Weiss -- I'm impressed!
    Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might get more and better responses if you removed the word coin and replaced it with token, in your title.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Weiss -- I'm impressed! >>

And everyone said my subscription to Prodigy back in 1991 was a waste of money image
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    And everyone said my subscription to Prodigy back in 1991 was a waste of money image >>

I am still on Prodigy, although I do intend to upgrade my 386 PC to a 486 when the price drops a bit more. Not decided yet if I should upgrade my dial-up service. By the way, it took me 48 minutes to display this thread and another 12 minutes to post to it.
  • Options
    superpsychmdsuperpsychmd Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭
    Looks like it paid off with interest! Thanks!
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

When I read the OP I immediately thought of the old 40 Reis coins, but obviously it could not be.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file