Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this a rare variety?

Is this seated half dollar a Breen#4884? May be a nice find for someone. I'm not bidding, so fire away. image

*Breen calls it very rare, so it's probably scarce.
BigD5
LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff

Comments

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Now I wish I didn't look.
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    Is it cleaned?
  • Options
    BigD - I'm not particularly familiar with Seated coins. What would make this a Breen #4884? Not the mark in the denticles is it?
    Home brew is best - Never drink alone
  • Options
    gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
    Looks like a damaged and cleaned AU.
  • Options
    BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    The coin definitely has been cleaned, and has a rim hit. It's really a rare variety though. Someone emailed me, thinking I may be interested in the coin. He said you can see the bottom of a one and eight above the date and there are also two other marks between the five and eight, just off to the left of the one. It's known as the "Blundered Die". Someone gave me the info. It's not for me, but it may be for someone else. image
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    The 1853-o blundered die is rare 4884.

The 1858 O is
    K50-11 Traces of numerals on base over 18 in date.
    BREEN 4882

That is what I found I don't know how rare a breen 4882 is supposed to be thou.

Here is a link to what I was looking at,
    link
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    I can`t make out the blundered area.Yall see traces of a 1 and 8 in the date?I don`t see it.Sorry.

The `hit` on the obv rim at 12:00 may be from a defective planchet.
    Seller claims`Fully Struck,and Lustrous`I disagree.Weak strike in the area of the `12:00 obv rim hit`
    Lustrous?Maybe, but the scan sure doesn`t show it.

• Options
    lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    Yes this 1858-O is Breen 4884. (I'm going by the description given, I can't see the repunched numerals.)
    It is WB-104. This is an overall rarity 2 coin. Condition rarity on this particular coin may be R-3 to R3+. A somewhat uncommon coin but not worth a premium.
    Don't put much stock in the rarity that Breen has in his book. It is outdated.

Ray
  • Options
    Good link !!!

Thanks.
  • Options
    BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    Thanks for the updated rarity values Ray. From the text in Breen's, it sounded very rare. I know that info. is outdated a bit, but I figured the piece to still have some clout. Just for clarity sake, I didn't find this. A collector friend emailed me with the info., thinking I may want to obtain the piece for myself. As I said above though, not for me. image
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • Options
    Placid - thanks for the excellant link - been looking for something like that
    Home brew is best - Never drink alone

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file