Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Report from a small town show!

My family and I attended the Fall 2002 Ft. Walton Coin Club Show and Sale this weekend at the Westwood Retirement Center in Beautiful Ft. Walton Beach Fl. The show is held at a retirement center, and we saw several residents in the lobby. They of course smiled to see a 3 year old and a 15 mo old little girls go by.

For a small show (15 tables or so) the show attracted dealers from all over. Even my local coin shop dealer was there. I talked to him about coming to this show and he told me that he travels all over, and that a show just a few hours away is no problem for him. Ft. Walton Beach is about a 3 hour drive from where we live in Dothan, AL.

Most of the dealers said that they were having good days. One dealer told me that there were a lot of old collections coming on the market. I did notice that many dealers had quite a few Bust & Seated halves among other “classic” coins. Many of the Seated and Bust Halves were nicely toned, and I was tempted by several of them, but I was there to look at Morgans. One bust half I really liked was the most interesting shade of blue. It was the color of a tropical ocean!!

I looked at a lot of Morgans. Like most shows these were plentiful. I only took note of one toned Morgan. It had an interesting blue/green bull’s-eye on the obverse, but the reverse was dark & unattractive. I found and bought a pretty nice 1878-S Morgan. It should grade out AU to MS62

There was just about as much slabbed stuff as raw. Although I think I saw more raw coins than graded. Most of the slabbed modern stuff I saw was few Statehood Quarters and a few Kennedy Halves. I even saw one PR70 Kennedy half, but it was in a PCI slab. I didn’t take a long look at it, but I didn’t really think it was anywhere near a PR70!! Most all of the other modern coins I saw were raw.

I saw mostly PCGS & NGC stuff. I did see some PCI & ICG stuff too. I didn't see any ACG. One dealer had a bunch of Binion Morgans in his case. I didn’t even try to ask him how much he wanted for those coins.

I would have liked to have stayed a little longer, but I did have two small children, and we had reservations at a resort nearby. All in all a very nice show that I definitly try to attend again.

J'har

Comments

• Options
    Kewl.sounds like a real good time.Thanks for sharing it.image Rotts
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle." Plato

....... bob**rgte**
  • Options
    gotta love small town USA
  • Options
    Dothan is a wonderful town.I lived in Ozark while I attended Ozark Aviation.Wonderful People down in that neck o the woods.
  • Options
    jharjhar Posts: 1,126
    Hey that's pretty cool that you used to live around here. Ozark is a pretty good town too. Good eating to be had around there, especially he 231 BarBQ!!!;-)
    J'har

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file