Home U.S. Coin Forum

Weekly Widget Acquisitions! (or 6 Morgans and a Franklin)

FadeToBlackFadeToBlack Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
Went to the Wilmington Coin Show this past Friday and picked up a whole bunch of stuff, and also got some raw eBay purchases/picks in the same day. Here's everything I received, excepting two coins, one of which I am posting right after this, and the other which I might post later.

First up, this nice '81-S Toner I liked. Blue and yellow on the obverse, blue, yellow and red on the reverse.

'84-O, cheap enough and looked decent enough. I did say widgets!

Baggy '82-CC. Part of a lot I bought that included this coin, and the following two coins, and the other unimaged coin, for $450.

'84-CC. A good bit nicer than the prior coin.

'03. The third of four coins from the $450 lot...

'85. Don't really know why I bought this in hindsight, but whatever.

'54-S Franklin. Liked the subtle colors and thought it might be an upgrade over my existing '54-S which has borderline terminal toning. Turns out, I like my other '54-S more than I had thought. Still a nice coin.

Comments

• LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree on the Franklin that walking under the low edge scar hurts it.image
  • I would say that you picked up the 85 because of the very subtle pastel tones that your very trained eye (the left one) saw.
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The '84-O is really nice.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing, very impressive coins but would you please post the grades. I am curious what they graded the 1903 and the 1954-S can't be higher than MS63.
    Coins & Currency
  • PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    Great photos, fun coins image
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not too shabby with the 81-S and 03. Well done with the photos. image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • morbidstevemorbidsteve Posts: 572 ✭✭✭
    Nice coins. Good price on the lot too it seems. Was this show in Wilmington NC or DE?

Steve
  • JJMJJM Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, im from DE, I was at that show helping a buddy at his table

nice pick ups!
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • CoinCastCoinCast Posts: 509 ✭✭✭
    I have personally been trying to thin out my widgets, but if I had these widgets I don't think I would. Great stuff! I like the 84-CC looks like a good piece.

Edit grammar

Partner @Gold Hill Coin

• coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭
    I like your coins a lot. A very nice group of original and attractive coins.

Please don't call them widgets. I know you meant it as humor but it does put your coins down. They are better than that.

There are those who call anything that is not a six figure coin a widget, or worse, the D word. Or it may have to be a six figure coin from a certain source. This forum and one coin dealer are the only places I ever hear those words used to describe otherwise great coins. Usually as a means to enhance their own coins and put others down image Obviously not when you are calling your own coins widgets. I would just like to see those two words disappear from the forums so that those who continue to use them make themselves look poor. Sorry in advance for the early Sunday morning rant. Haven't had my coffee yet.

As to your coins. I like them. I like the 1881-S a lot but if I get to choose one, it is a toss-up between the 1884-O and the 1903-P. My favorite kind of coins.

Respectfully, CH
  • I like the toning that's on the 84-0 the best.
  • ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I concur with the 84-O crowd....nice strike for a O mint product.

K
    ANA LM
  • rkprkp Posts: 443 ✭✭✭
    FadeToBlack,

These are a nice group of "widgets". I wouldn't mind having widgets like these. Unfortunately, I have too many "true" widgets from my early days of collecting.

Also, did you take these pics yourself? If so wow! They look very professional and IMHO as good as and even better than some people that actually charge for pics.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file