Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

More joy from eBay regarding Bucks...

coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just noticed on the FAQ page for eBay Bucks that certificates now may take anywhere from 3-15 days from the end of the quarterly earning period to be delivered. So anyone like me who timed a purchase to use their certificate from the last quarterly earning period of 2013 and was expecting their certificate to be available at 12:01 a.m. today. . . you may just be S.O.L. image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

Comments

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK that explains why he waited to pay.image

The lowest setting to open a non payment claim is four days, think eBay is just being pro active because this was the holiday rush meaning more volume.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine says it will be ready today, my biggest one yet, $242. All thanks to that bonus day they had.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up. I was about to pull the trigger.image
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't count chickens before they're hatched and don't spend eBay bucks until they've been delivered; how hard is that to follow?
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options

<< <i>Mine says it will be ready today, my biggest one yet, $242. All thanks to that bonus day they had. >>

Every Bucks earner in the last quarter of 2013 gets the message that their certificates will be available starting on 1/3/14, but that doesn't mean they will be delivered immediately.

DennisH - you missed the point of my PSA. The policy has changed. eBay delivered the certificates promptly on the 1st day before this. No announcement was proactively sent to members about this change. The only announcement made about new policy recently was the new minimum of earning quarterly Bucks to remain in the program. A member now has to spend a minimum of $250/quarter in qualified categories at the 2% dividend rate for a minimum of $5 in Bucks.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't look a gift horse in the mouth
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,377 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine also says "Your certificate for the last earn period will be ready on 01/03/2014."

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Don't look a gift horse in the mouth >>

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    coindeuce: I didn't miss it at all, but you may have missed mine. Namely, just because something has been done a certain way for a long time doesn't mean it can't and won't be changed by the people who are in charge of the program. And presuming it will never change sets you up for inevitable disappointment and inconvenience.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    I would never presume no change at a venue like eBay. I would however claim the right to presume that eBay would be smart enough to inform the users of their policy changes; otherwise members might make personal choices such as cancelling transactions because of an eBay decision to spontaneously or arbitrarily change policy without notification. I won't be disappointed. image

And I wasn't disappointed to get this 1821 Small Date CBD image - especially with the extra 10% discount from Vic & Sherri Bozarth, on top of the Bucks Reward.
    So it may just be that eBay's policy statement on certificate delivery is just a safeguard against ... image

• Options
    SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

+2
    If you don't like their policies, you're more than welcome to take your business elsewhere
    No ones forcing anyone to conduct commerce there image
    imageimage
  • Options
    eBay Bucks are earned. How does that translate to gift horse image

• Options
    tlake22tlake22 Posts: 299 ✭✭
    just got mine and used it!!!!!!!
  • Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got mine...now I just have to decide what to spend it on! image
    I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just used mine too on 2 tokens & 1 medal I had sitting in my shopping cart... Additional out of pocket expense $1.81 image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>eBay Bucks are earned. How does that translate to gift horse >>

They don't have to do it. This is not something eBay has always done and if they had never started the program, we wouldn't know the difference. They could stop it at any time.
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

No gift. It is an earned benefit which is funded by the seller.

BTW, mine have always been available early on the 3rd. Spent my $155 on Two Morgans !
  • Options
    Alltheabove76Alltheabove76 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I need to figure out how to spend my $4.67, I want to do it carefully since it may be the last certificate I get for a while.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    <<Don't look a gift horse in the mouth>>
    <<No gift. It is an earned benefit which is funded by the seller.>>

It is a rebate provided to a buyer by ebay at no additional expense to the seller. Ebay determines which items are eligible for the bonus and which are not. A seller pays the same fees on an ebay bucks eligible purchase as he would on one that was not eligible for ebay bucks. A knowledgable seller wants his item to be eligible for the rebate for obvious reasons. The only argument for claiming a seller funds the program is the fact that sellers fund all expenses that ebay incurs. I seriously doubt an end to the ebay buck program would result in any reduction in seller fees.

<< <i>eBay Bucks are earned. How does that translate to gift horse? >>

While the individual rebates are "earned" based on spending, the program itself is a gift horse to buyers who would otherwise spend the same amount and receive no rebate. While your credit card rebates are "earned" do they cost you any more than what you would have spent otherwise?

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    "buyers who would otherwise spend the same amount and receive no rebate. "

Please cite the statistics that you have to back up that remarkable claim. image

You'll have to find a way to ignore the pricing practices of a lot of eBay sellers though. image

• Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just purchased an eBay item 30 min. or so ago and when checking out was surprised to see a "coupon/discount" for over $16.00. image
    I had forgotten all about it. image Wonder why they didn't just identify it as "eBay Bucks" instead of "coupon"? image
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options

<< <i>"buyers who would otherwise spend the same amount and receive no rebate. "

Please cite the statistics that you have to back up that remarkable claim. image >>

"99.9999% of ebay buyers buy because they like the item at the price paid vs. the .0001% of ebay buyers that are stupid enough to spend $1.00 on ebay for something they don't want just to earn two cents in ebay bucks." Of course I'm assuming most ebay buyers are not like my wife who thinks she HAS to buy something strictly because there's some type of reward or rebate involved.

For the 99.9999% the hammer (or BIN price) paid is determined by the buyer and is independent of any added rebate. Rebates are an incentive to buy and are icing on the cake for a buyer. Given same price for the same two items I will always choose the one that offers a rebate.

The seller has no control over the offering of the rebate on his listing. And, since he is not charged a "Ebay Bucks Sellers Fee" he welcomes the added bonus to his listing.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

<< <i>I just purchased an eBay item 30 min. or so ago and when checking out was surprised to see a "coupon/discount" for over $16.00. image
    I had forgotten all about it. image Wonder why they didn't just identify it as "eBay Bucks" instead of "coupon"? image >>

You wouldn't want your coupons taking away from your earned ebay buck limit. Ebay most likely wants to keep them separate for market research purposes.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    "The seller has no contorl (sic) over the offering of the rebate on his listing during the listing process.

Yep. The seller only has control over the high retail + price of his/her listing. image

• Options
    SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

<< <i>TextPlease cite the statistics that you have to back up that remarkable claim. >>

Four words: Heritage Auctions Gross Sales
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>"The seller has no contorl (sic) over the offering of the rebate on his listing during the listing process.

Yep. The seller only has control over the high retail + price of his/her listing. image >>

As it should be. It's called free market capitalism, something missing in most markets. Nice thing about free market capitalism is that a buyer doesn't have to participate until he likes the price. Don't like the prices? Don't buy.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My $4.42 is ready and waiting! Woo Hoo! image
  • Options

<< <i>My $4.42 is ready and waiting! Woo Hoo! image >>

Better cash it in quickly because starting this first quarter of 2014, eBay will only give out eBay Bucks to those accruing at least a $5.00 stash of them over any 3 month period.
    - Jim
  • Options

<< <i>

Better cash it in quickly because starting this first quarter of 2014, eBay will only give out eBay Bucks to those accruing at least a $5.00 stash of them over any 3 month period. >>

Effective with next payout. His $4.42 has already been awarded to him.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    My account has Ebay bucks and my wifes account doesnt. Ebay said she wasnt elgible for the program. No issues as far as non payment or TOS.
  • Options

<< <i>My account has Ebay bucks and my wifes account doesnt. Ebay said she wasnt elgible for the program. No issues as far as non payment or TOS. >>

All accounts are eligible, but you have to voluntarily sign up.

Log in to your wife's account and then click on this RewardsExtEnroll&CTASignup=false&ExtLanding=true">Ebay Bucks sign up page to qualify.

It may be that simple.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    nothing wrong with buying an item, then asking for a few extra days to pay, even if you tell the seller straight up that you want to wait to pay until you get the payout, what would it matter ? as a seller i wouldn't care
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options

<< <i>nothing wrong with buying an item, then asking for a few extra days to pay, even if you tell the seller straight up that you want to wait to pay until you get the payout, what would it matter ? as a seller i wouldn't care >>

while earned with each eligible purchase, Ebay Buck rebates are paid out quarterly, not after each purchase.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Better cash it in quickly because starting this first quarter of 2014, eBay will only give out eBay Bucks to those accruing at least a $5.00 stash of them over any 3 month period. >>

Effective with next payout. His $4.42 has already been awarded to him. >>

Thanks for clarifying that, Derry.
    - Jim
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I need to figure out how to spend my $4.67, I want to do it carefully since it may be the last certificate I get for a while.

Sean Reynolds >>

$4.67. Enjoy. Soon Ebay will be doing you the favor of simply deleting amounts less than $5. How good of them.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    After this last maneuver on Ebays part it isnt worth it.

Did Ebay reinstate the program on bullion? They are always pulling some trick and hard to keep up with. I support capitalism but Ebays tricks became old about the time buyers were restricted on leaving feedback.

Granted I sold and bought back begining in 1997. Before Paypal when fees were 5.25% on the first $25 and then tiered down. I am aware of the transition. It isnt the same. I could write an essay on the issue but their ever changing policies and chasing after Amazon and Craigslist ruined a previously great concept. People may say look how they have grown, but take away earnings from Paypal and growrh is substandard in the US. Paypal was a great business move dont get me wrong, but shoving it down peoples throats pushed away sellers.

When the sellers moved on then it became boring.

Remember the good ole days of fresh material popping up. Beautiful toned coins that you may pick up cheap or watch a bidding war take to sky high prices? Ask Dick at GreatToning??

Now days it is the same stuff. Week after week. Dull and over priced. I use to spend hours looking at coins and now I just get burned out looking at it over and over. In many ways it even pushed me away from coin collecting.

Demise over time came from:

Ebay wanted to be Amazon an pushed the BIN format ruining the exciting auctions
    Requiring paypal and pentalizing sellers if they even hinted at taking a check
    Not allowing sellers to leave feedback
    Allowing so much Asian trade pushing away US sellers
    Higher fees....even chased down a fee on shipping to be added.
    Pushing sellers to offer free shipping
    "Best Match" default...does Ebay really think pushing ine seller ahead of anothers will make me jump on a coin just because Amazon does it?

I could go on and on but my thumb gets tired as I type on my phone.

Now they think Im gonna go after additional purchases because I am short the $5.00 minimum Ebay Bucks. If had $2.00 I would look to buy something, anything. Maybe a $100 Indian cent that they would pull $13.00 in Ebay/Paypal fees. Just another trick.

If you even try to list an auction and have something negative to say about price and fees the auction gets pulled. Years ago I listed 100+ items and made a comment in a few auctions along the lines of .. Take a look at my other items I have decided to list before the fee increase. All auctions cancelled.

A month ago I tried selling a cordless drill with battey and charger in the case. Kept getting a message that I must include bundle in the title which I did. Same error message. After 10 minutes listed it on Craigslist and sold shortly for higher price than Ebay. This is why sellers are now on Facebook, Etsy, personal websites.

There you have it. In pursuit of higher profits they have chased away their true asset: The Seller

When John Donahoe took over from Meg Whitman and started changes he stated that the new Ebay would not be for everyone. He said it well.
  • Options

<< <i>I would never presume no change at a venue like eBay. I would however claim the right to presume that eBay would be smart enough to inform the users of their policy changes; otherwise members might make personal choices such as cancelling transactions because of an eBay decision to spontaneously or arbitrarily change policy without notification. I won't be disappointed. image

And I wasn't disappointed to get this 1821 Small Date CBD image - especially with the extra 10% discount from Vic & Sherri Bozarth, on top of the Bucks Reward.
    So it may just be that eBay's policy statement on certificate delivery is just a safeguard against ... image >>

Its funny how Ebays advertises for others and you can many times buy directly for at least 10% less.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got my bucks today.....
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    perhaps i wasn't clear, what i meant was, if you buy a coin today, it seems plausible to drop the seller a note and say that you should be getting your ebay bucks any day and would like to hold off paying for a day or two, as you don't have quite enough of a balance bla bla bla. the point is i don't believe any seller would be offended if you were forthright about waiting for the ebay bucks.
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options

<< <i>perhaps i wasn't clear, what i meant was, if you buy a coin today, it seems plausible to drop the seller a note and say that you should be getting your ebay bucks any day and would like to hold off paying for a day or two, as you don't have quite enough of a balance bla bla bla. the point is i don't believe any seller would be offended if you were forthright about waiting for the ebay bucks. >>

Agree, most all sellers are willing to wait a day or two for any reason.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i didn't read this whole thread so it may have been mentinoed but i think i recall a message from the bay stating that any amount under $5 for future ebay bucks will be forefeited?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I need to figure out how to spend my $4.67, I want to do it carefully since it may be the last certificate I get for a while.

Sean Reynolds >>

$4.67. Enjoy. Soon Ebay will be doing you the favor of simply deleting amounts less than $5. How good of them. >>

My last few eBay Bucks certificates have been in $3 to $5 range because I have not been buying (or selling) many coins there lately. Thanks Great Collections!

Anyways, while losing a few bucks keeping my purchases under $250/quarter won't be a big deal it is nice getting it. Oh well.
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    I never changed my buying based on the normal bucks but the bonus times help.
    I remember a few years ago when the ebay bucks started, we also had that Microsoft/Bing cashback 10% and sometimes 25% and using Crumbs to get a few more % and a credit card cashback. Sometimes the total of all 4 was over 30% cashback. That did give a big incentive and then another incentive to again use the cashback you got and spend it again and get cashback on it again, it was pretty motivating to buy something.
    Ed
  • Options
    jrt103jrt103 Posts: 419 ✭✭✭

<< <i>.
    i didn't read this whole thread so it may have been mentinoed but i think i recall a message from the bay stating that any amount under $5 for future ebay bucks will be forefeited?
    . >>

That is correct

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file