Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

New Year's Eve Rip: 1981 Topps baseball vending box! (Ripping Concluded--Happy New Year to All!)

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Tim

The Stan Papi #273 card is a tough one I opened 3 rack boxes and only found one that might be a 7. I sent in one with a few others waiting on results from PSA.
    Another one is the #18 card Glenn Adams all the ones I pulled has a lot of print spray on the card, their is no 9's or 10's.
    The # 58 Joel Youngblood is another one only 1 9 no 10's.
    I've never had any luck with vending, but you have some nice cards in that box so far.

Good Luck Tim >>

Thanks for the info, Ron. This card now makes a lot more sense based on your summary, LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    My goodness, these are nice. Are you sure this is really an 81 vending box? Is there also a fleer Michael Jordan in there? image
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options

<< <i>My goodness, these are nice. Are you sure this is really an 81 vending box? Is there also a fleer Michael Jordan in there? image >>

Not a Jordan, but you might like this one just pulled in the last group. image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Not a Jordan, but you might like this one just pulled in the last group. image >>

I certainly do
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    Ramon Aviles!!!!!

Nice Bowa too. Got to love the perm and the gold chains.

aconte
  • Options
    After a soft spot centering-wise, we are back on track, I am happy to report! This next group of 25 cards was really sharp--I've always wondered why the phrase "from vending" was used to describe a run of really nice cards, and I'm pretty sure this is it~hoping the run continues as we move closer to the middle of the box!

I'm beginning to really like this set--I am still not a fan of the head shots so much, but the overall design is nice and clean, and I may have to join the ranks in putting this set together in graded form.

• Options
    These next 4 and the 4 after this group are all from the last 25 cards. image

• Options
    I'm going to start eyeing the BBCE shrinkwrapped run of 77 to 80 vending boxes if this run keeps up, LOL..

• Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Nice, but no rookie cards? Was this a BBCE vending box? If so, I have one sitting around still in the shrinkwrap of course. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    Man, these vending boxes go on forever~I don't think I'm even halfway through the box yet, LOL...

From the next group of 25...

• Options
    Next group of 4, still from last batch. This part of the box is sweet indeed!

• Options
    Luzinski sighting for Tony! image

• Options

<< <i>Nice, but no rookie cards? Was this a BBCE vending box? If so, I have one sitting around still in the shrinkwrap of course. image >>

It was from one of the sealed cases that gaspipe broke down a while back. No Future Star cards~I don't think I'm going to see any, either. If Ron (smokie) was still on, I'd ask him if this was unusual for vending in '81. I'd ask you, Mike, but that would have required you to have opened the shrinkwrap at least, so I'll defer, LOL...

I have pulled all the major stars except Rickey and Ryan, but still have 300 cards to go. Thus far, the box has exceeded all my expectations for vending and goes to show you that you can pull razor sharp cards from vending, too! image

• Options
    And just when I say that, I pull 2 Future Star cards in next group--Astros and Reds, but both OC L/R, unfortunately..

• Options
    Hit a weaker run of OC cards...went through 50 cards and only set aside 3. My best run of 25 cards had 12 cards set aside...hoping the next group gets back on track.

• Options
    SmokieSmokie Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
    Tim

With vending, like yourself I got very few stars and not near as nice as the vending box you have.
    Got more with rack packs.
    Your looking good Tim, hope you keep them coming, looks like you have quit a few to send in.

The George Brett is real nice.
  • Options
    Where the heck did Tim go? Don't leave me hanging, I am starting to get sleepy. Must be those damn kamikazes kicking in.

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options

<< <i>Where the heck did Tim go? Don't leave me hanging, I am starting to get sleepy. Must be those damn kamikazes kicking in. >>

I'm back, LOL! Just watched the Honeymooners! Kamikazes?? Where did you go, Phoenix Gardens??

• Options

<< <i>Tim

With vending, like yourself I got very few stars and not near as nice as the vending box you have.
    Got more with rack packs.
    Your looking good Tim, hope you keep them coming, looks like you have quit a few to send in.

The George Brett is real nice. >>

Thanks, Ron. I'm really enjoying these cards--I'm going to make a run at the set now, so this box will wind up costing me more money in the end anyhow, LOL..

• Options
    As I move into the second half of the vending box, I've noticed I am getting a lot of Future Stars cards (no Dodgers or Expos yet), as well as checklists and 1980 Highlights and League Leaders cards, none of which I encountered in the first half of the box. Pulled a sharp but OC Seaver in this stack. Boo.

Next group of 25~pretty decent group overall.

• Options
    I know Tony is going to love this one...

• Options
    Last group of 25 for tonight. I think this leaves me with 150 cards to finish tomorrow, LOL..

• Options

<< <i>I know Tony is going to love this one...

image >>

He's not watching. image

Collecting:
  • Options

<< <i>Last group of 25 for tonight. I think this leaves me with 150 cards to finish tomorrow, LOL.. >>

WTH, I stayed up counting on seeing the results of those last 150 cards. How will I ever fall asleep as I am wired with excitement? Or something else, LOL.

Collecting:
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Last group of 25 for tonight. I think this leaves me with 150 cards to finish tomorrow, LOL.. >>

WTH, I stayed up counting on seeing the results of those last 150 cards. How will I ever fall asleep as I am wired with excitement? Or something else, LOL. >>

I hear ripping 70s rack packs will put you out in no time...LOL..

• Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    I fell asleep during the last half of this!! Hope you get that Fernando in the last section of the box!!
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    Nice centering for 81s for sure.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    Sorry Tim and Mike!

I couldn't hang on. Fell asleep watching "Chasing Classic Cars". Wayne Carini had me out cold.

Good luck with the rest. Some nice Phils.

Tony
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Wow, looks like the potential for many possible 10s!! Thanks for sharing!!
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    Nice stuff for the new year
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome thread! Random observations:

(1) SWEET batch of 81's.

(2) Owning a barber shop in the early 80's could not have been very lucrative.

(3) Long live the stirrup sock.

(4) My man the Bull had some glasses bigger.

(5) Apparently, just like today, it was in bad form for catchers to be seen with their helmets turned backwards. And I had to look it up, because of the variation shown in the cards scanned:

Ron Santo was an early pioneer of wearing earflap helmets at the major league level, upon returning to action after having his left cheekbone fractured by a pitch in 1966. Earflaps were adopted by the players reluctantly. Some batters felt that seeing the earflap out of the corner of an eye was distracting.

In 1983, it was made mandatory for new players to use a helmet with at least one earflap. Players who were grandfathered in could choose to wear a helmet without ear flaps. Players can choose to wear double earflap helmets in the major leagues; however, this is not mandatory.

Tim Raines was the last player to wear a helmet without earflaps, during the 2002 season. His flap-less Florida Marlins helmet is currently at the Baseball Hall of Fame. Gary Gaetti, who retired in the year 2000, plus Ozzie Smith and Tim Wallach, who both retired in 1996, also wore flapless helmets until they retired from the game.

Julio Franco, who retired from baseball in May 2008, was the last active player eligible to wear a helmet without flaps, but he chose to wear a helmet with an earflap throughout his career. Some players, mostly switch hitters, also decide to wear double earflap helmets while batting. Two notable players to do this were Orlando Hudson and Chuck Knoblauch.

On April 8, 2004, celebrated as "Hank Aaron Day" in Atlanta because it is the 30th anniversary of Hank Aaron’s record-breaking 715th home run, Braves shortstop Rafael Furcal came to the plate in the sixth inning with a helmet without an earflap, as a tribute to Hank Aaron, who played his entire career in the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s, and therefore did not wear a helmet with an earflap during his playing career. Umpire Bill Welke made him get one with a flap.
  • Options
    That's one nice Stargell.
  • Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice post detroitfan! Cant beat the intricate history of MLB.

Cmon Tim! How much sleep do you need? Get to scanning!image
  • Options

<< <i>Very nice post detroitfan! Cant beat the intricate history of MLB.

Cmon Tim! How much sleep do you need? Get to scanning!image >>

LOL, I'm back! Slept in late after staying up looking at cards past 4 am...in the old days that would have been up drinking till past 4 am, LOL..

Detroitfan, thanks for posting that info--I like the way it ties in to the period these cards are from. I remember when there was some debate whether Julio Franco would actually get to 3,000 hits, LOL...

Next group of 25, a decent selection of 8...I believe the Walling card is very tough in 9 or 10..

• Options

<< <i>That's one nice Stargell. >>

Thanks! When I pulled that card, I thought it was definitely one of the sharper ones..

• Options
    I believe Howe is another low pop..

• Options
    About time, I've been up since 9 waiting for this. In the meantime, I'm taking down the Christmas decorations.

Collecting:
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey there Tim.

I passed out on ya last nite.

These are some really nice cards! Vending can be such a disaster.

Thanx for the entertainment.
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>About time, I've been up since 9 waiting for this. In the meantime, I'm taking down the Christmas decorations. >>

9?? Weren't you still drinking Kamikazes at 4?? You must still be buzzed. Be careful taking down that mistletoe, LOL!

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>About time, I've been up since 9 waiting for this. In the meantime, I'm taking down the Christmas decorations. >>

9?? Weren't you still drinking Kamikazes at 4?? You must still be buzzed. Be careful taking down that mistletoe, LOL! >>

It was 2am, but who is keeping track. Plus, no hangover with Vodka. I'm good to go, but I may still not drive for a bit. image

Collecting:
  • Options
    Next group of 25 cards in...getting closer to the end now...this has been a lot of fun!

• Options
    The Goose!!

• Options
    OK, now I know this is truly an official 1981 product...Rob Wilfong has made an appearance...When I recall those days in the summer of 1981 opening packs outside Karl Ehmer's, or opening any 1981 pack thirty years later, no 1981 pack is complete without ol' #453, LOL..

• Options
    SmokieSmokie Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
    You definitely got a very good vending box, corners are about as good as you can get them for sending in.

Congratulations Tim on a very nice pull, you picked a good to RIP
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brian Asselstine

Yr Age Team G AB R H 2B 3B HR GRSL RBI BB IBB SO SH SF HBP GIDP AVG OBP SLG
    1976 23 Braves 11 33 2 7 0 0 1 0 3 1 0 2 1 1 0 0 .212 .229 .303
    1977 24 Braves 83 124 12 26 6 0 4 0 17 9 1 10 1 0 0 2 .210 .263 .355
    1978 25 Braves 39 103 11 28 3 3 2 0 13 11 1 16 1 5 2 1 .272 .339 .417
    1979 26 Braves 8 10 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 2 0 0 0 1 .100 .182 .100
    1980 27 Braves 87 218 18 62 13 1 3 0 25 11 3 37 2 3 1 9 .284 .318 .394
    1981 28 Braves 56 86 8 22 5 0 2 0 10 5 0 7 0 0 0 4 .256 .297 .384
    Career G AB R H 2B 3B HR GRSL RBI BB IBB SO SH SF HBP GIDP AVG OBP SLG
    6 Years 284 574 52 146 27 4 12 0 68 38 6 74 5 9 3 17 .254 .300 .378

Never heard of him - that's why I like looking at cards - so many players gave their best and may never be known/remembered.

Any potential 10s?
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Brian Asselstine

Yr Age Team G AB R H 2B 3B HR GRSL RBI BB IBB SO SH SF HBP GIDP AVG OBP SLG
    1976 23 Braves 11 33 2 7 0 0 1 0 3 1 0 2 1 1 0 0 .212 .229 .303
    1977 24 Braves 83 124 12 26 6 0 4 0 17 9 1 10 1 0 0 2 .210 .263 .355
    1978 25 Braves 39 103 11 28 3 3 2 0 13 11 1 16 1 5 2 1 .272 .339 .417
    1979 26 Braves 8 10 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 2 0 0 0 1 .100 .182 .100
    1980 27 Braves 87 218 18 62 13 1 3 0 25 11 3 37 2 3 1 9 .284 .318 .394
    1981 28 Braves 56 86 8 22 5 0 2 0 10 5 0 7 0 0 0 4 .256 .297 .384
    Career G AB R H 2B 3B HR GRSL RBI BB IBB SO SH SF HBP GIDP AVG OBP SLG
    6 Years 284 574 52 146 27 4 12 0 68 38 6 74 5 9 3 17 .254 .300 .378

Never heard of him - that's why I like looking at cards - so many players gave their best and may never be known/remembered.

Any potential 10s? >>

I don't recall watching him play even though he was in the NL, but I DO remember his name from packs I've opened, LOL..there was always seemingly about 10 Asseltines or Wilfongs to ever Henderson or Ryan, LOL..

I'd say this box will yield a nice sprinkling of 10s...hoping that the 10s are the correct ones, though! LOL!

• Options

<< <i>You definitely got a very good vending box, corners are about as good as you can get them for sending in.

Congratulations Tim on a very nice pull, you picked a good to RIP >>

Thanks, Ron! The box has definitely exceeded my expectations going in..

I have a question for you: does PSA downgrade for that stray "batwing" of cardboard you will occasionally see on a top corner of a card, even if the corner is otherwise sharp? I have a few of those that are otherwise very sharp cards, but wondering if they are worth card savering?

• Options
    RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭
    kinda reminds me of myself as a kid opening gobs of 1985 Topps and never getting a McGwire. Had plenty of Shane Macks and Odibie McDowell and Mike Dunne and Flavio Alfaro and Don August and Cory Snyder....Like 6-10 of each. I never even knew McGwire was in the set until it took off a couple years later......
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Keep going. May need to hit box #2. Guidry is a toughie as well.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    This Phillies card isn't as nice as the NLCS one, but I know Tony will like it just the same, LOL..