Home Sports Talk
Options

Trivia thread

The ticket trivia thread got me thinking about how much I love sports trivia. If you're interested in participating in this thread, these are the rules: If you answer a trivia question correctly, you get to ask the next question.

I'll start. Who is the only MLB pitcher to wear the date of his no-hitter on his uniform? Obviously if you can guess the pitcher you'll also guess the date.

Comments

• Options
    Jack Morris. April 7. #47.

Question:
    Who is the only player to have pinch hit for Ted Williams?
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    And he also caught several passes from Y.A. Tittle in the NFL... Carroll Hardy.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Prior to Barry Bonds back-to-back MVP, only 9 players had previously won MVP's back-to-back. Ironically, one at each position. Name them:

C
    P
    1B
    2B
    SS
    3B
    OF
    OF
    OF
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Scott ... back in the day before Bonds did it, I used to LOVE asking this question, especially when we were sitting in a local watering hole sucking down a few cold ones.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>Prior to Barry Bonds back-to-back MVP, only 9 players had previously won MVP's back-to-back. Ironically, one at each position. Name them:

C
    P
    1B
    2B
    SS
    3B
    OF
    OF
    OF >>

My guesses:
    C Campanella
    P ????
    1B Gehrig?
    2B Joe Morgan
    SS was Ernie Banks
    3B was Schmidt
    OF Dale Murphy
    OF Mantle
    OF Musial
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    I think the pitcher was Hal Newhouser of the Tigers, '45-46...???
  • Options
    1B Pujols in 08, 09
    Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all "right-thinking" people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as “bad luck.”
  • Options

<< <i>Prior to Barry Bonds back-to-back MVP, only 9 players had previously won MVP's back-to-back. Ironically, one at each position. Name them:

My guesses:
    C Campanella
    P ????
    1B Gehrig?
    2B Joe Morgan
    SS was Ernie Banks
    3B was Schmidt
    OF Dale Murphy
    OF Mantle
    OF Musial >>

Scott .... if you don't mind me responding ... I believe Juggs has 5 correct
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>1B Pujols in 08, 09 >>

Prior to Barry Bonds back-to-back MVP
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    bziddybziddy Posts: 710 ✭✭✭
    P Newhouser
    C Berra
    1B ? McCovey ?
    2B Morgan
    SS Banks
    3B Schmidt
    OF Murphy
    OF Mantle
    OF ? Aaron ?
  • Options
    bziddybziddy Posts: 710 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>1B Pujols in 08, 09 >>

Prior to Barry Bonds back-to-back MVP >>

This also kill 1B Thomas I think...
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roger Maris? 1960-61

Mantle deserved both of them, left off of one ballot in '60, he would have won if simply listed and '61 he had the better season and Maris got it for breaking the Babe's HR season record.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Come on, someone answer this and ask an easy question, I have a great one to throw out!
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    DakilloDakillo Posts: 158 ✭✭
    P - Hal Newhouser
    C - Yogi Berra
    1B - Jimmie Foxx
    2B - Joe Morgan
    SS - Ernie Banks
    3B - Mike Schmidt (my personal favorite player all time)
    OF - Mickey Mantle
    OF - Dale Murphy
    OF - Roger Maris

New Question:

The baseball strike of 1994 bled into the following season. Once underway, the schedule was for the remaining 144 games. Why was Frank Thomas credited with 145 games played in 1995 when his team, the Chicago White Sox, finished 68-76...only 144 games?

There is a satisfactory answer to this...its not a statistical error.
  • Options
    The White Sox must have played a tie game in 1995.
  • Options

<< <i>The White Sox must have played a tie game in 1995. >>

This.

I actually read about this on this very board shortly after I joined. Fascinating thread.