Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

BGS vs. BCCG?

Remind me again the difference between BGS and BCCG? Thanks!

Comments

• Dumb & Dumber
  • slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    The gist is BCCG cards are virtually worthless. The BCCG grading scale is ridiculous, take a look at the grading scale used: 10 is mint or better, 9 is near mint or better and 8 is excellent or better. I believe it costs less for that service than the BGS service. I think the only reason some people may use BCCG is in the hopes of selling the card to someone who doesn't understand the grading scale. They say it graded an 8! When an 8 in BCCG is actually the theoretical equivalent of a 5 in most legitimate scales.

BGS is a legitimate grading service and for the most part I trust their grades. You will likely get no shortage of opinions on how inferior BGS is to PSA but I think generally they do a very good job with modern cards. I really like their sub grade system and wish PSA had something like that. For vintage I think they are less reliable than PSA. The value of a card in a PSA holder is usually greater than BGS. And BCCG is virtually unsellable IMO to someone who knows anything about TPG's.

Steve
    Steve
  • I'm asking because when I look at the pop report, some of the cards are BGS and some are BCCG. Looks like BGS gives the other numbers, corners, etc, whereas BCCG does not.
  • Well, the other reason is I have a card that I want to flip without waiting forever in a day and not emptying the coffers to get it here faster.
  • abcoltsfanabcoltsfan Posts: 802 ✭✭✭
    I have tried do this same thing. I had 3 Andre Dawson RC's cards that were graded BCCG 9 that I thought were good enough to get a PSA 8-9. PSA graded the cards 6,6.5 and 8. In my opinion it isn't worth it.

Working on the following sets
    1980's and 1990's Topps Baseball BBCE FASC - Cello or Wax Boxes
    1952 Bowman US Presidents PSA 7 & up
    Pro Football Hall of Fame Indianapolis Colts PSA Registry Set
    June 9th Cubs full ticket or stubs - 1981 to 2020
    Andre Dawson Topps Basic registry PSA 10's
    Mark Grace Topps Basic registry PSA 10's

• CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I have tried do this same thing. I had 3 Andre Dawson RC's cards that were graded BCCG 9 that I thought were good enough to get a PSA 8-9. PSA graded the cards 6,6.5 and 8. In my opinion it isn't worth it.

So you took 3 cards that were graded NM, crossed them and had them come back EX/MT, EX/MT+ and NM/MT and you're upset with these results?
  • abcoltsfanabcoltsfan Posts: 802 ✭✭✭
    Trying to help the guy. How about you?

Working on the following sets
    1980's and 1990's Topps Baseball BBCE FASC - Cello or Wax Boxes
    1952 Bowman US Presidents PSA 7 & up
    Pro Football Hall of Fame Indianapolis Colts PSA Registry Set
    June 9th Cubs full ticket or stubs - 1981 to 2020
    Andre Dawson Topps Basic registry PSA 10's
    Mark Grace Topps Basic registry PSA 10's

• bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    BccG cards should be treated as raw cards. People will tell you success stories from time to time, but don't forget that exists for raw too. Of the few cards I purchased in BccG 10, none were close to 10s and I never sumbitted any and used the $5 on wax packs instead. One was a pucket topps rookie with a corner that pointed the wrong direction. BccG is to grading what my toddler's toy screwdriver is to powertools.
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
    Trying to help the guy. How about you?

OK here's some help- BCCG is actually fairly accurate. I've sent many cards to them in the past, and have crossed over a lot. If the slab says a card is NM, it's usually in that range. Much like PSA, a lot of the cards in BCCG 10 slabs (Mint) will generally cross over to NM/MT or Mint in PSA or BGS. Don't get caught up in the number grade, actually read the flip. Yes their grading scale is stupid, but if the flip says NM you can usually expect a NM-ish card much like 2 of the 3 Dawson's you tried to cross over.
  • addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    I do not see the BCCG cards anymore like i use to on ebay but they were pretty spot on for modern cards. A BCCG 9 cracked would get a 7 or 8 unless is was condition sensitive card like a SP, then they usually got damage in the slab from bouncing around because it was too big.
  • MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    CDSNUTS is right!

BCCG is accurate, but they just use a real goofy grading scale that 99% of the grading community doesn't use. Don't think anyone has mentioned it but BCCG is becketts "collectors club" grading, although I don't believe you even have to be a member. I think they promote it as a "beginners" guide to collecting graded cards as well as the people who may have very large submissions of cards that wouldn't grade very high in their regular BGS grading but could maybe still benefit from being slabbed.

I'm a fan of BGS for the most part and i do submit cards to them, but I truly don't believe BCCG needs to exist. To me, it's just another marketing scheme to make money, kinda like their PRISTINE 10 grade!!
  • addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

I'm a fan of BGS for the most part and i do submit cards to them, but I truly don't believe BCCG needs to exist. To me, it's just another marketing scheme to make money, kinda like their PRISTINE 10 grade!! >>

100% agree, BCCG even if it made them $ was a bad idea long term along with the Gem 9.5 and 10 Pristine idea.
    I'm a fan of BGS for the most part and i do submit cards to them, but I truly don't believe BCCG needs to exist. To me, it's just another marketing scheme to make money, kinda like their PRISTINE 10 grade!!

It's a garbage service, no doubt about that. That's why Beckett doesn't really advertise it as an option all that much. There are still a couple dealers that send a few thousand cards a year at them which is probably the only reason it's still around.
  • vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm a fan of BGS for the most part and i do submit cards to them, but I truly don't believe BCCG needs to exist. To me, it's just another marketing scheme to make money, kinda like their PRISTINE 10 grade!! >>

100% agree, BCCG even if it made them $ was a bad idea long term along with the Gem 9.5 and 10 Pristine idea. >>

Because every PSA 10 is created equally? I'm not saying many BGS 10's aren't equivalent to 9.5's but there's more grading spectrum with BGS (and their subgrades) than with PSA.

These were my cracked and subbed crossovers from my latest PSA sub... modern cards for Set Registry. BGS 9 to PSA 10, BGS 8.5 RCR to PSA 9, BCCG 10 to PSA 9, BCCG to PSA 10.
  • MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    VLAD,
    I never said there wasn't more of a spectrum of grading with bgs, in fact your absolutely right, there is. I love bgs for their sub grades. Also, if you compare PSA's grading standards to BGS's standards, beckett has stricter standards at least for centering.
    All I was saying was I believe that their PRISTINE 10 and their GEM MINT 9.5 are essentially the same grade.
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    neither.

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Both are top notch but i prefer BVG over BCCG.
  • Let me pose this question: does BCCG at least take it seriously enough to authenticate the cards? Or am I going to get a fake 1963 Pete Rose in one of those slabs?
  • Let me pose this question: does BCCG at least take it seriously enough to authenticate the cards? Or am I going to get a fake 1963 Pete Rose in one of those slabs?

Yes, they will reject fake and altered cards to the same level that the BGS service would. It's the same exact graders, just a different grading scale.

• << <i>

Yes, they will reject fake and altered cards to the same level that the BGS service would. It's the same exact graders, just a different grading scale. >>

Got it, thanks.