Home U.S. Coin Forum

Yoachum Dollar (or Yocum) information desparately saught.

Anyone here who has a photo of a Yoachum Dollar or knows where I might find such a photo would be greatly appreciated. I may have stumbled onto something but don't want to be a horses-ass fool for publishing it without knowing exactly what I'm looking at. More after I get a photo of a genuine piece either on the internet or in a book someone can tell me about. Problem is I see descriptions of them everywhere but no photos.

If you have no idea what a Yoachum dollar is, skip this thread for now and wait for the article I'll publish about what I ran into if I find it to be credible. I have all the history and stories, and I may have some astonishing photos to release if what I saw today looks like the real thing.

Not to ramble....I just need someone to step forward with a photo or a direct way for me to see a photo.
C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
The Lincoln cent store:
http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
http://www.cdaughtrey.com
USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.

Comments

• krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    The ANA Library has a video about the Yoachum dollar. #133 on this page.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• PistareenPistareen Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    A Yoachum dollar was sold by Paul Bosco in one of his marvelously written catalogues about 5-10 years ago -- it was the last lot in the sale and brought a modest sum, but it was brilliantly catalogues by a true original. The ANA Library should have a copy. Paul, I'm sure, has a copy, but if you've ever been in his shop you know he might not find it for a few years or more.

I have a copy but am unable to scan at the moment. Drop me a PM if you'll be in Pittsburgh and I'll bring it along for you to xerox or examine.

Hope this helps!

John K.
  • coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Kranky....actually there are two videos and two books that contain at least some information about these at the ANA library...checking them out today image

Pistareen - PM sent. I will be in Pittsburg for the duration of the show.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:

My numismatic art work:
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coppercoins: You got me curious. Please refresh my memory on what they are.
    Tempus fugit.
  • coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    Cladking: Local Ozarks' silver dollars privately minted in the 1820s. Confiscated by the Feds in 1849 during a federal land tax visit to the region where people were using these instead of US currency to pay their tax bills. Reason for minting: US currency was very short during the first few years after statehood.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:

My numismatic art work:
  • lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    There was an article in The Numismatic about these a few years ago.
    I can't recall too much about it. Seems like the article was titled, Yoachum Hokum.
    The author seemed to think they were not what they seemed. That they were fantasy pieces most likely.
    This is my memory, now, and I may be wrong.
    You should be able to find the article in the ANA archives. Good luck.

Ray
  • GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    I have a xeroxed 5 page article on the Yoachum Dollars that shows the dollars and also the dies that were used to strike them. The dies were reportedly found on March 11 1983 by Mr.J.R. Blunk of Galena Missouri while digging along the White river on property adjacent to the Yoachum settlement. They were buried and preseved in a waxy substance that resembled animal fat. The images that I have are not of reproductive quality so I will try to describe the Yoachum dollar as best I can.
    The hand punched denticals on both sides resemble a half circle pattern ( of connecting scallops that go completely around the coins outer circumference on (both sides)
    The dies are primative and crudely lettered. The die rod ends opposite the devices show expansion from being hammered on. The obverse has YOACHUM punched halfway curved around the top while the curved date of 1822 is at the bottom. There is a single central star middle of the coin with eight stars going around the central star. Two other stars are located on either side and connect YOACHUM with the 1822 date. The lettering is crude resembling a chisel impression and not that of a lettered punch.
    The reverse has UNITED STATES OF AMERICA going around having smaller lettering than the obverse. There is outlin4ed number 1 in the center with DOLLER (sic) curved below the 1. There is also some very small letters at the bottom that I canot read. Looks like about (4) either numbers or letters?
    The dies were reportedly made by a master blacksmith named Jacob Levi.
    Reportedly there are nine known specimens to exist and some non silver copies have been restruck.

The whole story is interesting and has to do with the Yoachm's family history a hidden silver mine, selling illegal liquor to the Indians and the US Government in pursuit of their activities.

This information was obtained from Treasure Search Magazine date of publication not known.

Don-
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to be 'that guy' that revives a thread after almost 10 years, but did any more ever come of this? Did Chuck find a Yocum Dollar?

www.brunkauctions.com

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. Never heard of this before. Love to hear a legit update if one exists.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are some photos the dies and lead restrikes:

imageimage
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Comments on the Yoachum Dollar... >>

Thank you for saving me the trouble of retyping all that.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Comments on the Yoachum Dollar... >>

Thank you for saving me the trouble of retyping all that.

TD >>

Great writeup TD and find MrE.

It puts the tale to rest with scientific analysis and first-hand history! image
  • savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, I will admit it is a bit disappointing to find this story of private mintage was only a modern hoax......kind of takes the wind out the ol' sails......Like finding out Bechtler gold pieces were left by Ancient Aliens

www.brunkauctions.com

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    love the anacs back story.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    No need to apologize for reviving a years-old thread as it brought out more info. Ol' TD puts another myth to rest. Excellent story!

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file