Home U.S. Coin Forum

Anyone here ever buy from iras4?

I know he posts here on occasion. Is he a full-time dealer, or does he just do his eBay auctions on the side? He has one coin up on eBay right now that I'm really interested in but just can't afford at the moment...was wondering if he does layaway? I might have to break down and ask him for myself.

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know the answers to the specific questions you asked, but yes, I have done business with him and remember him as a class act. I was very pleased. If I recall correctly, the coin I won was a 1913 Type 1 Buffalo in PCGS MS66. And I overextended myself a bit on bids - something happened that week, like the car breaking down- which put me in a little tight spot. I explained the situation and he was quite patient with me, allowing me extra time to pay. It all came out well in the end, and I remember him as a nice guy.

Talk to him- I imagine he will work with you somehow.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭
    I would certainly email him and ask. I have watched his auctions for a while now on ebay. He usually has choice coins in uncommon grades. I have never heard anything bad about him. Mark.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • I've seen his coins - top notch stuff - but a little pricey - he might come down a bit for a sure sale.

Frank
  • PushkinPushkin Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭
    Ira Stein is a great person to do business with. I have purchased three or four high grade coins from him with excellent results. Based on my experience, he is one of the most honest and ethical sellers on eBay, and he knows his stuff. Easy to do business with and a very reasonable dealer. Talk to him.
  • I have bought several coins from iras4 - Never a problem, good quality (as advertised) and ULTRA FAST secure shipping. Full confidence!!

Coppernicus
    Coppernicus

Lincoln Wheats (1909 - 1958) Basic Set - Always Interested in Upgrading!
  • I did ask him about a llayaway plan on one of his auctions. I believe he said 1/4 down or 1/3 down and either 3 or 4 monthly payments. I don't remember for sure, but I did ask him, but did not end up buying the coin. His emails were fast and friendly and he did seem sincere.
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ira is a quality seller...
    In the top 5% of ebay sellers.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭
    ditto on all the good things said so far, I bought an Eagle Eye IHC from him on Ebay.
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great material, and fine service. His images are sweet too.

I've purchased several items from him, including a wonderfully toned 1917 Type 1 Standing Liberty, NGC MS62. I know, kind of low end MS grade, but it's a knockout with Blue and Copper toning. Paid $260, and never regretted it.

Buy from this guy --- support good eBay sellers.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    have attempted to deal w/ him several times to no avail - way too high of prices, & he's not very accurate describing the true rarity of some stuff. suggestion: get his price, then shop elsewhere & see how much you'll save.

K S
  • SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭
    Ira Stein great guy! If you want PQ coins, you better be ready to step up with some cash.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • I've had the wonderful experience with dealing with him before. He deals in many PQ coins, which makes the high prices worth it. Excellent service. Highly recommended.

For some life lasts a short while, but the memories it holds last forever.
    -Laura Swenson

In memory of BL, SM, and KG. 16 and forever young, rest in peace.
  • I have never bought from Ira as I can't afford most of his coins. image I do think he has an eye for high end for the grade and for eye appeal and you should expect to pay extra for that. He is also a true 1922 No D expert and sells a lot of them.

Also, you should have no fear of emailing him and asking him anything because he is also a truely classy and very friendly guy.
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr. Stein-

If you read this, take a bow. There is no better kind of advertising than you are getting right here.

And this is the kind you can't buy.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I've bought several coins from him......including the one in my sig. line.

he is one of THE finest sellers on ebay!!!!!

he is a very great person to deal with and would probably be happy to assist you in getting the coin.

he sells some top notch coins!!!

all around great guy.

I had the pleasure of finally meeting him at Central States this year!
  • LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, I think it can be summed up like this...

...always a premium and you get what you pay for.

David
  • PushkinPushkin Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭

But with Ira, I think you can deal a little - just don't try to be unreasonable. His merchandise is PQ and not cheap, but I never felt like I overpaid with him and I never felt like he was unwilling to horse trade a little.image

The coins I have of his are some of my best, they would be some of the last ones I would part with.
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of the best Lincolns I have are from Ira. He is an old timer, knows his stuff, is very honest and helpful. His selection is superb. I have never felt I have overpaid him for what I've bought from him.
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dpoole: OLDTIMER? I thought he was my age or slightly younger?
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • I have purchased only one coin from Ira (1909-s IH) and had no problems.
    I am no longer looking for an 1815/2
    myurl
  • Ditto what everybody else has said - I've bought several coins from Ira and they are all PQ!
    He is very easy to work worth and always keeps his word - a GREAT all around seller!

(plus - he hates ACG with a passsion and that alone makes him an alright dealer in my book! image )
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • If nothing else, what a wonderful place to learn about traders on this forum. As someone new, I'll keep an eye posted for iras4 and cover myself
    if I see KinCoin. Where else would you get this information?
  • ccexccex Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭
    Ira Stein currently holds the "Man of the Year" award on rec.collecting.coins. He seems to sell more 1856 Flying Eagles and 1922 no-D strong reverse cents than anyone, and posted a few threads on rec.collecting.coins very recently that led to a scammer specializing in the 1922 no-D being NARU on eBay.

I have bought only one coin from Ira, an Isabella Quarter, which failed to meet his reserve. He was friendly, professional, and reasonable, and let me pay with two checks dated two weeks apart.

He's a class act with whom I hope to be able to afford to do more business.
    "Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity" - Hanlon's Razor
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    ok, i went back & reviewed my notes. i have attempted twice to buy from him. once was an average wreath cent, i ended up buying an identical grade for about $400 less. 2d coin was a bust dollar, i didn't end up buying a substitute, but it looks like i thought he was about $250 too high.

HOWEVER, customer service is value-added that may well be worth the extra premium others have been willing to pay. for my budget, i have chosen not to do so.

glad that a lot of you have had good luck with this gentleman!

K S
  • tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    I've bought several very nice RED Indian cents from him and have been very pleased. He is a top notch dealer who is very easy to deal with. His coins are PQ, so expect to pay full price, but know that you have a nice coin. Highly recommended.

Tom
    Tom

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file