Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

~ Copper 4 The Weekend™ ~

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
1858 H. Mulligan Watches, Philadelphia, Miller PA-371 / Wright 736, 32mm Diameter, Reeded Edge, Thick Planchet, Copper, Rarity-5.

This token is unlisted having been struck on a copper planchet in Russell Rulau's works on U.S. Merchant Tokens 1845-1860. However Edgar Adams in his 1920 "U.S. Store Cards" and Donald Miller's 1962 "A Catalogue of U.S. Store Cards or Merchant Tokens" have it listed as number 371. Due to the high relief design the eagle's upper wings, neck & leg feathers along with the reverse centers are always weakly struck.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice '94 large cent.....but again, I think nearly all '94 large cents are nice.
    Some day I'll get around to imaging mine.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭
    Sticker courtesy of CAC! Now that's funny!

Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a 10 year old collector in 1964 I would drool over this coin and its design. Added it to my collection in 2010, not the best but I am happy with it. So you young collectors out there...don't give up hope for your dream coin.

.image[/URL]
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭
    Bullsitter..... Sweet!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1837 Illustrious Predecessor, HT-34 / Low-20

Formally ex Dice/Hicks and prior in George Fuld & his father Melvin's collection.

Purchased by George at age 17 from Barney Bluestone in 1949.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dont think i did this one yet. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was dug fairly recently by my detecting buddy, somewhere near the site of the old Hampton Plantation on the northern end of Saint Simons Island, GA.

Aaron Burr was a guest at Hampton in 1804, when he was "laying low" after killing Alexander Hamilton in the infamous duel. A really big hurricane hit while he was there.

Could this coin have fallen from his pocket? 'Tis fun to speculate on.

Also, the sternpost of the USS Constitution was made from a huge live oak tree cut at the same site. So there's a lot of history there.

imageimage

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome NDalum. Nice MPLs.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This was dug fairly recently by my detecting buddy, somewhere near the site of the old Hampton Plantation on the northern end of Saint Simons Island, GA.

Aaron Burr was a guest at Hampton in 1804, when he was "laying low" after killing Alexander Hamilton in the infamous duel. A really big hurricane hit while he was there.

Could this coin have fallen from his pocket? 'Tis fun to speculate on.

Also, the sternpost of the USS Constitution was made from a huge live oak tree cut at the same site. So there's a lot of history there.

imageimage >>

Looks like it was struck the day before being lost! Very cool....image
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As a 10 year old collector in 1964 I would drool over this coin and its design. Added it to my collection in 2010, not the best but I am happy with it. So you young collectors out there...don't give up hope for your dream coin.

.image[/URL] >>

All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    Thanks cohodk- I really enjoy MPL's. I don't think my set will ever be complete- each one is just so unique. For now though I'm trying to focus on finding a nice 1915 and 1916- the search is part of the fun!
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks cohodk- I really enjoy MPL's. I don't think my set will ever be complete- each one is just so unique. For now though I'm trying to focus on finding a nice 1915 and 1916- the search is part of the fun! >>

cohodk can probably help, I've bought a few from him. He has a great eye.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A NewP this week, which should have been in the post office box but NO I suppose Monday. 1788 Vermont Ryder 21. image. image
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    1853 Merchant Token of the New York Crystal Palace and H.B. West's Famous trained dogs,
    Tray and Troy.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file