Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Jim Fehr - Ellesmere - has passed away.

tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
Legend Numisatics sends our deepest condolences to the family of Jim Fehr. He passed away this week from stage 4 lung cancer. He was a devoted father and friend. He was only 53.

For many years he owned and ran Ellesmere Numismatics in CT and then went on to work with Spectrum in CA. He had been semi retired at the time of his passing.

We'll always remember his wit and smooth easy going personality.

RIP Jimbo!

Comments

• Options
    philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is far too young.

I enjoyed his articles...

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    No wonder I hadn't seen him around for the last few years. Always liked him.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never met him, but I have one coin with an Ellesmere tag from 1986 on it (I think that is the date). Condolences go out to the family.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great guy and a great outfit.
    I still have a number of their coin list mailings from the mid-late 80's with the insightful articles he used to write.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way too young. Glad to have known him. Very saddened by the news.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    RIP image

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RIP Jim!

He was located near me in Brookfield CT where I used to spend my summers on Candlewood Lake, CT.

I really loved the way he analyzed the rarity of specific coins yet admitting that sometimes a coin could be so rare that is became a "isolated" rarity rather than an "exclusive" rarity particularly if demand was scacer than the rarity itself.

He carried very decent quality coins for the price and in the area of reasonably priced walkers he was spot on in his grading.

of 15 walkers I bought from him over the years, 14 of them stickered years later.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭
    Sad info.

I do remember dealing with Ellesmere back in the day on a couple of occasions.

Mike
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sad info.

I do remember dealing with Ellesmere back in the day on a couple of occasions.

Mike >>

As I do as well. My condolences to his family.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Very sad news!
  • Options
    DonWillisDonWillis Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    Sad news! I used to do business with Jim back in the day. Always was a good guy to deal with. RIP.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear of his passing. Never met him but really enjoyed his news letter and writings. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    I had made many transactions with Jim in years past and always enjoyed his newsletter stories. My deepest sympathy to his family, friends and employees that had worked for Jim.
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Knew his coins, knew his business, conscientious, a treat to deal with and one of the good guys image

Condolences to his family
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Very sad news, RIP
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Found this cleaning out a desk.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my condolences to him and his family. thats always difficult.
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Legend Numisatics sends our deepest condolences to the family of Jim Fehr. He passed away this week from stage 4 lung cancer. He was a devoted father and friend. He was only 53.

For many years he owned and ran Ellesmere Numismatics in CT and then went on to work with Spectrum in CA. He had been semi retired at the time of his passing.

We'll always remember his wit and smooth easy going personality.

RIP Jimbo! >>

Thanks for sharing. I acquired many of the coins in my collection from JIm after reading his reviews of them in the Ellesmere publication. When he left for Spectrum he was kind enough to contact me and keep me in the loop. I am truly saddened by his passing and my condolences.
  • Options
    410a410a Posts: 1,325
    Belatedly so sorry to see my coin dealer friend Jim passed away. RIP

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file