Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Grading opinions please. 1808 LG Cent.

Comments

• Options
    This is way out of my realm of grading skills but I will hamper a guess. Its a tough series to find clean of corrosion and environmental damage. I hear its from poor grade copper they used. My guess is Corroded/environmental damage net VG8 details.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    F15 details, and I would speculate a net VG8 EAC grade, but listen to others' inputs.
    Not really a bad example for this date overall, as the smooth ones are tough to come by!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    VF details. Corrosion.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    Alltheabove76Alltheabove76 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭
    Whats going on in "Cent"?
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Either corrosion has eaten it away, PMD and then extensive circulation, or perhaps a filled die blocking part of the letters.
    None of the three Sheldon varieties (this one is S-278, I believe), nor any of the die states, has anything going on with CENT
    being partially obliterated.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>F15 details, and I would speculate a net VG8 EAC grade, but listen to others' inputs.
    Not really a bad example for this date overall, as the smooth ones are tough to come by! >>

Pretty much exactly my thoughts.

Tom

• Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    F12 details, corroded.
  • Options
    joecopperjoecopper Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭
    EAC 15, net 8 by my eye
  • Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>F15 details, and I would speculate a net VG8 EAC grade, but listen to others' inputs.
    Not really a bad example for this date overall, as the smooth ones are tough to come by! >>

• Options
    okiedudeokiedude Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    F12, on a good day. Environmental damage.
    The copper for this series was crap, and is reflected in the survivors today. Classic head is a tough and expensive series, if you want a nicer coin.
    BST with: Oldhobo, commoncents05, NoLawyer, AgentJim007, Bronzemat, 123cents, Lordmarcovan, VanHalen, ajaan, MICHAELDIXON, jayPem and more!
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool cent.

I'll go F12, with very light porosity. Still, a great large cent!

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    I will go with Fine 15 details, Net VG 8 for corrosion. A bit too rough for Fine 12, without mentioning
    the problem.
  • Options
    I'd say EAC 12+ net 7 and F details, env. damage in a slab.

Still a nice 1808!

Looks like the EN in CENT weren't struck up due to roughness in the planchet to begin with or maybe a filled die.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file