Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Question for perforated cards

Howdy all, I'm expanding my PSA collection into a card set that was given out in 3 card panels with perforations to separate them. My question is, since they are in 3 card sheets that you have to separate, should I cut them apart with a razor or fold them apart. I've seen pictures of PSA 10 ones on the Registry that look folded, but I'm not positive. Will PSA have a problem grading them if they are cut apart versus naturally folded apart? Thanks for any assistance.

captfisch

Comments

• Options
    firedawg45firedawg45 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭
    Don't cut!! Must be perforated. Slowly go half way then back , then go all the way slowly and pull apart straight out slowly the best grades are when there is no perforation on the corners. That depends on how the panel is set up
    # 2 Pete Rose Master Set , also
    collecting 1977 topps baseball in psa 9 and psa 10
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    I don't think PSA is consistent on this point. I put together the Topps 1967 Punch Out set, mostly ungraded, but had to buy and inspect a lot of graded cards in putting the set together. These cards were packaged in three card perforated strips. If you separated them by bending there would always be one serated edge, two for the middle cards. But I have seen very highly graded cards with straight edges on both ends, which were cards that were either cut or the ends trimmed.
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭✭
    captfisch, what cards are you referring to? I agree with bishop that PSA might not be consistent with the '67 punchouts, but those are pretty rare.

For most, if not all perforated items, if you cut them with a blade (even leaving the perforated"chad") PSA will reject them as "evid of trim".

I recently sent in some Topps Stamp singles from 1974 that I cut and they were rejected, the next batch I carefully ripped and got all 8' and 9's and even a 10.

Good luck,

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    captfischcaptfisch Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
    Thanks all, guess I'll be carefully folding the cards. The cards are the 1980 Burger King Star Wars set...yes, I am a Star Wars geek! May the force be with you!
  • Options
    Good luck, but unless you are a Jedi Master keep your eyes open when separating cards, don't use the light sabre either!

Live long and prosper captfisch
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    does this method of separating the cards work for the Golden Press cards from the early 60's as well? thanks al.
  • Options
    Yes
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes >>

thanks!!
    al.