Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Okay, I don't understand this - Teletrade color auction price results.

RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
ANACS 1964 Kennedy MS66 - $70

PCGS 1964 Kennedy MS64 - $300.

The ANACS coin is toned on both sides, and grades two points higher than the PCGS. Can one of you toning experts explain to me why the PCGS slab fetched more than four times as much?

I had both on my tracking list and forgot about them. If I'd have known the ANACS was going to go so cheap, I'd have made some effort to remember, and grabbed it.

Russ, NCNE

Comments

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Is a 1965 worth more than a 64?
    Also people on teletrade tend not to bid on anacs coins like pcgs.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    OOPS! The PCGS is a 1965.image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good question, Russ. I prefer he ANACS half myself (much nicer toning).

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    The 1965 coin has a much more unusual toning pattern. Rim toning on a 1964 in particular is relatively easy to find.

And of course there's a PCGS premium. If you want your toned coin in a PCGS holder (as many modern collectors do) it's a lot less aggravating to buy it already that way. image
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    It's an unusual example of an endroller.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    Sometimes auctions are hard to predict and/or explain. At a recent auction on Ebay a 1949S half in MS64FBL went for 284, an MS65FBL, equally competent in the grade went for less than 250 - go figure!

Frank
  • Options
    Looking at those results, I have started thinking Ebay may not be the best routeimage I like the PCGS coin better, however Not $230 more, nope. If I had listed either of those, I would have been lucky to clear $25.00 on each!

dan
    image It's Her's
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    I had a bid in on a ms66 quarter but I lost to a sniper. It was only about $20 and I had the $25 off any lot won coupon image

Link

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file