Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Best Location for Purchasing the now discontinued DANSCO 7070 Type Album?

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
My local shop has been out for months and stated Saturday his backorder was cancelled.
Is there anyone online that is offering these, new or (slightly) used?

Even eBay some sellers are demanding over $100.

peacockcoins

Comments

• Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭✭
    They (Dansco) are replacing it with a new one, aren't they?

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭
    Ask Wizard Supplies to notify you when they get one in. Although there might be a line for something in such high demand, it's worth a shot.
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I kind of think Dansco tripped up, a lot.

Not only has there been huge demand for the 7070 (or what ever will come next) for over a year and they didn't respond with supply, but most of their modern album pages expired in 2012 and there were no new albums or update pages made.

I lost interest in keeping my moderns going. No buying when they decide to get their act together.
  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was a warehouse off of Central ave. in Chino that About Rare Coins ordered from, if anybody could get them, they could.
  • Options
    ^
    Thanks.
    Will do!

peacockcoins

• Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    eBay and coin shows come to mind.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    I see there is 1 slightly used one on ebay now. image
  • Options
    One of the first things I looked at when I decided to pick the hobby up again was the 7070. Imagine my surprise! At one point I had five of them. Who knew that they would have turned out to be a better investment than (most of) the coins?!
    "YOU SUCK!" Awarded by nankraut/renomedphys 6/13/13 - MadMarty dissents
  • Options
    So I guess the next question would be: what company makes the best runner up type album? Should type collectors just chuck the whole raw album idea and buy an Eagle slab album? (That's what I'm considering.)
    "YOU SUCK!" Awarded by nankraut/renomedphys 6/13/13 - MadMarty dissents
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I kind of think Dansco tripped up, a lot.

Not only has there been huge demand for the 7070 (or what ever will come next) for over a year and they didn't respond with supply, but most of their modern album pages expired in 2012 and there were no new albums or update pages made.

I lost interest in keeping my moderns going. No buying when they decide to get their act together. >>

While I sort of agree with your comment it could well be that Dansco felt that the slab collectors now outnumber the raw collectors to the extent that it was deemed unprofitable to continue the production of this or other new albums; just a guess.
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    get one of the old vintage Whitman blue book shelf 2 volume sets- my Whitman set must be over 40 years old

If you feel real lucky, look for the Library of Coins type set albums

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So I guess the next question would be: what company makes the best runner up type album? Should type collectors just chuck the whole raw album idea and buy an Eagle slab album? (That's what I'm considering.) >>

I like these a lot, but the dang pages are so expensive!!
  • Options
    As cool as those older albums are, there really is nothing like the quality Dansco put out with their type album.
    Coins felt like they were there to stay (other than half dimes. Those little sicckers slip between the plastic like no other!).

peacockcoins

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>So I guess the next question would be: what company makes the best runner up type album? Should type collectors just chuck the whole raw album idea and buy an Eagle slab album? (That's what I'm considering.) >>

I like these a lot, but the dang pages are so expensive!! >>

Wayte Raymond National type set albums would be pretty cool, but caution: it has all the tough holes, as do all the "vintage" complete type set albums. Whitman and Library of coins also make 2-volume rather complete type sets, small and large coins.

the 7070 is a nice survey that is reasonably completable, without having to win a lottery or resort to Gallery Mint replica chain cents and 1796 quarters to finish the book.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I like these a lot, but the dang pages are so expensive!! >>

Wayte Raymond National type set albums would be pretty cool, but caution: it has all the tough holes, as do all the "vintage" complete type set albums. Whitman and Library of coins also make 2-volume rather complete type sets, small and large coins.

the 7070 is a nice survey that is reasonably completable, without having to win a lottery or resort to Gallery Mint replica chain cents and 1796 quarters to finish the book. >>

I wish Dansco would release three albums for type. 18th, 19th and 20th-21st Century. Then we could have a "complete" set but still have options for rare coins. 20 years ago Dave Bowers released the Kingswood type set holders, which were custom Capital Plastics holders. They were arranged by "New Issues" and I believe the dates for the holders were, 1793-1799, 1800-1830, 1831-1850, 1851-1860, 1861-1900, 1901-1950, 1950-date. No Gold though. If anyone ever did a type set like that, I bet it would have been an impressive display.
  • Options
    I did a quick google search and found this:

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=48471

It has a complete list of Kingswood holders with pictures. I didn't remember the gold or commem sets. Pretty awesome.
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried my favorite "go-to" guy for old/discontinued folders/albums? :

Randy Miller
    Chief Coin and Supply CO.
    PO Box 254
    Oshkosh, WI 54903-0254
    Phone (920)-231-6161
    FAX (920)-231-6122

Best of luck!

- - Daveimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights