Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

East India co. Rupee... Genuine?

I can't quite decide on this one. The text on the reverse looks a bit mushy, but I haven't been able to find a clear picture to be certain that the text should be sharper. The coin rings slightly differently than a different rupee, but since the other coin is a later date and has a larger diameter, I'd expect the sounds to be slightly different. Nothing else seems particlarly out of the ordinary.

My scale has it coming in at 11.56g (compared to the Krause number of 11.66, but I don't know if my scale could just be slightly off... I don't think light wear would shave off that much weight; the aforementioned comparison coin came in at 11.6g). So what do you think? Yea or nay?

Thanks,

Jeremy
JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Comments

• Options
    Looking good.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing is raising immediate flags for me, but without knowing the series can't be 100% sure.
  • Options
    olmanjonolmanjon Posts: 1,187
    Looks real to me. Just compared it to mine. I can't quite tell from your picture what variety it is. I have the incuse RS on the truncation. There are four varities. No initials, a raised F, an incuse F and the incuse RS. The initial ones have a slightly greater value. Nice coin. Thanks for the pictures.
    Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks fine, but cleaned?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    PeaceBDPeaceBD Posts: 234
    Jeremy,
    I am not 100% sure about this coin. The letters just look a little too mushy to me.
    Here is my William's rupee for comparison. Its a different variety though but compared to the reverse of this one the letters on your coin look just off.

Bhushan
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    I don't know the series, but could that soft/roundness be due to greasy dies and/or weak strike?
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't know the series, but could that soft/roundness be due to greasy dies and/or weak strike? >>

I have the same concern.

It's not weak strike but could be worn dies. I’ve seen it before on real coins.

I lean toward thinking it’s good.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    There seems to be a profusion of raised dots on both obv & rev; the "I"s in the legends also appear a bit beefy.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of these coins are restrikes from rusted dies. That may be the raised dots people are seeing. I submitted one of these one time to ICG and that's the information they told me. This coin maybe a circulated P-L restrike.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    BjornBjorn Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    Mushy letters are fairly common on these, as are another type with really low relief but wide letters (like the coin shown by PeaceBD). The off-set denticles (where they look almost angled) can also be found on the British India coins... so I don't think either of these two factors by themselves would rule it out.

-Bjorn
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the opinions, everyone. I do agree with sir that the coin has likely been cleaned, but I don't th ink it has been harshly cleaned as there aren't heavy hairlines.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been reluctant to comment on this one mainly because I have not seen many of these in hand. The William IIII Rupees are marginally more difficult to obtain. There looks to be an indentation in the obverse field above the dot and across from the G in KING. The M in WILLIAM may be another key as it may have been slightly repunched or it is a shadow from a prior cleaning. Take a good look at the M and if it is crisp. then the likelihood of it being good increased- at least from where I sit

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.