Home U.S. Coin Forum

Somewhat off-topic research question about old communication system

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
I am researching the token manufacturing firm of Meyer & Wenthe of Chicago for an eventual article. I just bought on eBay a six-inch aluminum ruler given out by them as an advertising piece. From the address on it, it is from the late teens to the late 1920's.

In addition to their addresses and phone numbers and other information there is the notation just below the phone numbers

"AUTO 48,879" (without quote marks)

followed by a similar AUTO number with five digits and a comma. Does anybody know what communication system that "AUTO 48,879" refers to? Perhaps some sort of old business teletype system?

Thanks,

TD
Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    Just a guess but maybe a predecessor to Telex? Wiki definition of Telex network
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't look like a Cable address, but it was common to advertise those at that time. I don't know if there were specific requirements, but it could be. S.H. Chapman was "Chapman, Philadelphia." so it maybe it could be anything.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • ColonelKlinckColonelKlinck Posts: 372 ✭✭✭
    I'm thinking it is another phone number.

A long time back, words were used for the first two digits of a phone number. My number as a child if I remember was "Hickory" 27,511. You would simply dial the first two letters in the exchange (HI - 44) or "Auto" which would be AU or 28 on a rotary phone; followed by the other 5 digits. Back then it was thought to be easier to remember two letter and 5 digits as opposed to 7 digits.
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    I think its an early phone number for an automatic number exchange system. Back in the early days, if you had a phone without a rotary dial, you picked up the handset and told the switchboard operator the number you wanted to be connected to. Also in existence was the early vestige of a rotary dial system, where you could dial the number and the switch gear would put you through with out the switchboard operators involvement. There were two different phone technologies existing side by side, one simpler than the other.
  • dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    Location? Didn't the old switch board operators give out phone numbers with a location followed by the numbers?

Chelsey 25325 where Chelsey would correspond to the numbers/letters on the phone
  • magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780
    Same here..."MO(hawk)5 - 1234" ah the old days...

Eric
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hmmmm

would the tribune have microfiche of papers from back then? maybe other ads will show similar ph#s ? or maybe the library has microfiche of other old docs with ph#s?

ahhhh, the good old days... squinting at poorly illminated pictures of newspapers.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780
    Hi Again,

that would be a neat giveaway. The use of aluminum was regulated by 1918 as was the cost due to WW1, and thereafter it was in good demand. The cap of the Washington monument (1887) is aluminum as was the lift grille on the Mauretania (1906) - made to look like wrought iron. I believe it was about .15 a pound by WW2. Demand dropped off by the middle-late 20's so that is my guess for a date.

Eric
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU4-8879, maybe? That would be 284-8879, I think.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>AU4-8879, maybe? That would be 284-8879, I think. >>

Or dial PA 6-5000

<< <i>I it is from the late teens to the late 1920's.

In addition to their addresses and phone numbers and other information there is the notation just below the phone numbers

>>

OK, one more time and IMHO.

What this "AUTO" number is, is a very early automatic dial rotary phone exchange number.

"It is from the late teens to the late 1920's." , referenced in the OP is when auto rotary dial was becoming more than a novelty, but not yet mainstream.

"In addition to their addresses and phone numbers" The phone numbers listed are what you would tell, speak to, the switchboard operator the number is you want to be connected to.

"AUTO 48,879 Forget the "Auto". It's a description from the day for "Automatic" If you had one of those newfangled, rotary dial phones, that used a new, mechanical switching system that switchboard operators didn't use telephone jacks to connect one phone to another, it was considered to be "Automatic", even if you had to manually rotate the dial on the phone. You picked up the phone, listened for a dial tone and dialed 48879. If it all went correctly, you would be connected.

Two separate systems existed back in the day as the technology slowly went from switchboard to auto-dial and now, auto-pulse.

• goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

>>

What this "AUTO" number is, is a very early automatic dial rotary phone exchange number.

"It is from the late teens to the late 1920's." , referenced in the OP is when auto rotary dial was becoming more than a novelty, but not yet mainstream.

"In addition to their addresses and phone numbers" The phone numbers listed are what you would tell, speak to, the switchboard operator the number is you want to be connected to.

"AUTO 48,879 Forget the "Auto". It's a description from the day for "Automatic" If you had one of those newfangled, rotary dial phones, that used a new, mechanical switching system that switchboard operators didn't use telephone jacks to connect one phone to another, it was considered to be "Automatic", even if you had to manually rotate the dial on the phone. You picked up the phone, listened for a dial tone and dialed 48879. If it all went correctly, you would be connected.

Two separate systems existed back in the day as the technology slowly went from switchboard to auto-dial and now, auto-pulse. >>

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

>>

Two separate systems existed back in the day as the technology slowly went from switchboard to auto-dial and now, auto-pulse. >>

Excellent explanation! Thank you!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool history, especially the "Auto" part - called my Dad today to try and help - he will be 97 in 2 weeks - he said his earliest recollection of a phone number was 14 - if you wanted to call someone, you would ask the operator to connect 14 for 98, for example. This was rural Iowa, he was born 1916, so would have used the phone in the early 1920's.

He knew nothing about "Auto" or "Hickory" - never recalled using a word instead of numbers.

Good opportunity to talk about something besides his health. image

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My mother was born in 1919. I'll ask her if she remembers the changover, but I don't expect her to.

Now, her older sister might!

^^^Your comment made me curious about my mothers' (born 1924) recollection of the phone system. It was switch board operator for her until the mid 50s. Then she got a dial phone. She lamented that instead of picking up the phone to talk to the operator in case of emergency, you now had to dial 'zero' in case of emergency to talk to an operator. Now of course, it's 911. She's not sure if that's progress or not.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file