Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1903-O Morgan $1 VG Super tough in grades other than Unc

Bought this 1903-O $1 the other day. I've owned lots of 1903-O $1's but never seen one in this low of grade. All the others have been BU. Maybe the only other Morgan scarcer in VG is the 1885-CC. Seen a few 1884-CC's in low grade but that one's tough too. Thought I'd share this one.

Comments

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice even wear, she did her job well. kinda pretty in that condition, but then I'ma sucker for nice circs.
  • Options
    I have an unc one, never seen one seriously circulated though. They aren't much cheaper circulated are they?
  • Options
    I paid $115 for this one. Recently sold some MS-64 raw coins for $280.
  • Options
    CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    I've handled 3 circ. 03-O dollars.
    Like the history of these. More fun than the BU coins.
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    Probably the three rarest Morgans in circulated condition are the 1881-CC, 1885-CC, and 1903-O, not necessarily in that order.

Dragon
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a question, and I'm not trying to be funny or anything. I am very aware of these dates that you mention Dragon, that are scarce in circ grade. Besides not looking original, what would stop someone from taking a few uncs and placing them in their pockets and letting them wear? And also that in unc grade it is still a little higher priced.

But maybe in the future it would not be. Maybe a dumb question but something that came to mind.

thanks,
    stman
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    stman,

There would be no point in doing something like that, you would just be devaluing the coin.

Dragon
  • Options
    Agreed, And I know I ended up answering my own question the further I typed.image

stman
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,424 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although it sound charming to think of placing a rare-in-circulated coin into your pocket it would realistically take 20+years to get the coin down to FN12 or lower. Also, you're more than likely to give it a forced polished look instead of one that is more natural.
    It would get lost before you ever got a Unc. Morgan down to VG08.

peacockcoins

• Options
    A little off topic here, But I have taken a 64 kennedy half and kept it in my pocket for a while to see how long it takes to wear down. This was a long time ago. I could have done it with a non silver but was curious on silver coinage.

Of coarse I changed my levis once in a while.

stman
  • Options
    TheNumishTheNumish Posts: 1,628 ✭✭
    In 1988 I bought a Trade Dollar with a hole in it that was AU.
    I put that coin on my key chain and now it is a VF.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    I like old black & gray Morgans. They look really cool. I had a 03-O in FINE one time.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file