Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Speaking of PCGS slabs, does the barcode have any special information other than coin numbers?

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
Is the PCGS barcode like a 3 of 9 barcode font or is it more sophisticated?
I know they made it smaller on the newer slabs.
Is there anyway to provide security to the barcode that the Chinese cannot duplicate.

Thanks for any information.

Comments

• Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    No.

The barcode does not give you the meaning of life or David Hall's office extension number. For dealers and companies that handle lots of slabs the barcode makes it faster and easier to look up records and value information.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

<< <i>No.

The barcode does not give you the meaning of life or David Hall's office extension number. For dealers and companies that handle lots of slabs the barcode makes it faster and easier to look up records and value information. >>

So the barcode info does not include the date it was slabbed?

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>No.

The barcode does not give you the meaning of life or David Hall's office extension number. For dealers and companies that handle lots of slabs the barcode makes it faster and easier to look up records and value information. >>

HH >>

No.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    The poorer fake pcgs slabs the barcodes do not match the numbers printed on the label.

The information on the barcode is listed here:
    http://www.pcgs.com/barcode.html

The "old" label barcodes are 16 digit.
    The "new" 22 digits.

If you want a scanner for a pcgs label make sure it or its software can read interleaved 2 of 5 barcodes.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Position, Valid Data, Description
    1 0 Future use
    2 0 Future use
    3 0 Future use
    4 0-9 First digit of coin/spec number left padded with 0’s to 6 places
    5 0-9 Second digit of coin/spec number left padded with 0’s to 6 places
    6 0-9 Third digit of coin/spec number left padded with 0’s to 6 places
    7 0-9 Fourth digit of coin/spec number left padded with 0’s to 6 places
    8 0-9 Fifth digit of coin/spec number left padded with 0’s to 6 places
    9 0-9 Sixth digit of coin/spec number left padded with 0’s to 6 places
    10 0-9 Service identifier (future use)
    11 0 Future use
    12 0-9 First digit of grade left padded with 0’s to 2 places
    13 0-9 Second digit of grade left padded with 0’s to 2 places
    14 0-1 Grade modifier - 0 -- False, 1 – True (future use)
    15 0-9 First digit of cert number left padded with 0’s to 8 places
    16 0-9 Second digit of cert number left padded with 0’s to 8 places
    17 0-9 Third digit of cert number left padded with 0’s to 8 places
    18 0-9 Fourth digit of cert number left padded with 0’s to 8 places
    19 0-9 Fifth digit of cert number left padded with 0’s to 8 places
    20 0-9 Sixth digit of cert number left padded with 0’s to 8 places
    21 0-9 Seventh digit of cert number left padded with 0’s to 8 places
    22 0-9 Eighth digit of cert number left padded with 0’s to 8 places
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is fast becoming a human brain activity delving website. I wonder what sort of plastic is used in the slab and how impact resistant it is. I'm sure someone out there has this vital information to help collectors along the path of numismatics.
  • Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    If you use a "Smart Phone" you can down load an APP that will read bar codes. There are several different types of bar codes, you just have to make sure the APP your using reads the type of BC you are trying to read.

If you have a Dino-Lite microscope it can read the BC also, you just have to enable it in the settings.

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you use a "Smart Phone" you can down load an APP that will read bar codes. There are several different types of bar codes, you just have to make sure the APP your using reads the type of BC you are trying to read.

If you have a Dino-Lite microscope it can read the BC also, you just have to enable it in the settings. >>

Now this is most useful for the shop. I noticed this "bar code" feature on the smart phone, but the problem is it didn't recognize any bar codes on products. APPS are the key, huh ? This is a new dilemma for me doing things the old fashioned way on paper. Although I take credit cards through my Pay Pal on the smart phone, more than through the shop's terminal now, I haven't even come close to mastering a "smart phone". It took years to master a screw gun. image
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a thread with more info on the PCGS barcode (both old and new types):
    http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=855549&STARTPAGE=5
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    App is just an easy way of saying "software application" and if you don't install the proper software app on your phone, it won't function the way you desire image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you look carefully, you'll see that each line is formed from the words to the entire Lord's prayer.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you look carefully, you'll see that each line is formed from the words to the entire Lord's prayer. >>

Please explain your post.
  • Options
    I have Dino-lite and it can read onlysome of the slabs. When they were slabbed doesn't seem to be a factor in reading barcodes.
    I have 20 recent slabs. Dino lite read 6 of them.
    Is the quality of the barcode not god enough?
    MY new SYMBOL LS2208-SR20007
    SCANNER HAND HELD BLACK cannot read barcode on PCGS, but no problem with NGC
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a test, I just scanned one of my slabs with my smart phone.

1888 3-cent, AU-53, with a cert number of: 3757.53/28633460

Scan reveals: 0000037570053028633460

So...Yeah, you aren't missing anything that isn't plainly printed already. image
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,511 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have Dino-lite and it can read onlysome of the slabs. When they were slabbed doesn't seem to be a factor in reading barcodes.
    I have 20 recent slabs. Dino lite read 6 of them.
    Is the quality of the barcode not god enough?
    MY new SYMBOL LS2208-SR20007
    SCANNER HAND HELD BLACK cannot read barcode on PCGS, but no problem with NGC >>

perhaps it is the hardware?
    perhaps it is the plastic it has to read through?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it contains the names of all the current/past members of the Circle of Trust™
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is fast becoming a human brain activity delving website. I wonder what sort of plastic is used in the slab and how impact resistant it is. I'm sure someone out there has this vital information to help collectors along the path of numismatics. >>

i don't recall the specifics but it has been discussed here. what criteria should be used to find those thread(s), idk.

most obvious topics have been discussed here. a lot of great inquisitive minds have graced this forum seeking and sharing knowledge.

i would track all of this type of stuff and more but i have to draw a line somewhere because the world has a lot else to offer aside from numis. lol

the biggest thing hole imo for this forum is the lack of archive organizer(s). a master thread linking to other threads under each section of say the most 25 or 50 discussed topics would increase the effectiveness of learning many multiple times over.

my bookmarks, files, organizing threads etc save me an invaluable amount of effort and time, although, i do concede, the process of researching can and often does yield interesting results. i think of a rockefellar quote to argue my own point lol:

“If you want to succeed you should strike out on new paths, rather than travel the worn paths of accepted success” ~John D. Rockefeller~

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If you look carefully, you'll see that each line is formed from the words to the entire Lord's prayer. >>

Please explain your post. >>

it seemed out of place to me too but i think maybe it had something to do with some commentary earlier in the thread?

<< <i><< No.

HH >> >>

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file