Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1991 Wild Card Football Experts Questions

I was at a card show in Cleveland today and one dealer has a sealed case of 20 boxes of wild card 1991 collegiate football wax boxes. Are these the same boxes that are the NFL players are in or did they make 2 different boxes that year? I was also told by the dealer that back way when that the company used to guarantee a certain amt of stripes per case. Any truth to this?
What is a case like this worth?

Comments

• RookieWaxRookieWax Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭
    They made NFL football and a separate collegiate version. I was only aware that they made 10 box case, not 20 box cases. The collegiate boxes are the better product, as they contain Brett Favre rookies and the Favre stripe cards sell at very high prices. They were printed in somewhat limited quantities and are an under-rated product in my opinion. Just be aware that cards from that era (which were glossy on the front and the back) tend to stick together somewhat. If you can get a 10 box case for around $200, that is a pretty good buy.
  • What was his asking price?
  • spazzyspazzy Posts: 592 ✭✭
    Have you heard any truth as a guaranteed amt of stripes per case? This might be a lot of fun!
    It all came about as an afterthought. I believe he said 300.00-400.00 for it. It was a nice looking case..all white. Thats all I remember.
  • To answer your question, you will pull 1 1000 stripe, roughly 5 100 stripes, and about 25 or so total 5/10/20/50 stripes from a 10 box case.
    The unfortuante part about the collegiate version is Favre is the ONLY card worth anything.
  • Hey bud, I hate to bother you, but did you happen to notice if any dealers had any wild card stripe cards at the show?
    I am working on a master set, and have exhausted the internet.
    Thanks in advance
  • lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭
    The collegiate football is a fun rip. Like Black said, you should get 1 1000 stripe in the case. It seems as though the quantity of the stripes are a bit more plentiful out of the collegiate than the NFL product. LOVED the stripe gimmick as a kid. I would say $300 to $400 for the case is a fair price. When the company went belly-up, I had a local dealer selling the collegiate football boxes for $10. That was easily 17 or 18 years ago. But collation is terrible and the Favre stripes are really the only cards worth a premium. Even the Barry Sanders stripes don't bring that much.

Too bad I don't live in Cleveland - I'd try to pick up the case for $300 to $350 and have a fun time with it.
    I now believe it had to be a 10 box case. The show is still in town tomorrow. I did not see any stripes at the show. If I get a chance, I may just show up at the end of the show and make an offer if still there.
    UPDATE...Purchased a full case #1758 plus 1 box that I ripped already(good amt of Sanders and Favre) but no big star stripes. With all the big jump in unopened, I am leaning towards leaving the case sealed unless I recieve some great trade or cash offer. It was really fun to rip though the sealed wax box. I like that the entire box is cardboard sealed so it would be difficult to search packs along with the cello seal.
  • RookieWaxRookieWax Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭
    Way to go. What did you end up paying for it?
  • mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    Nice pickup - I grabbed a couple of cases of this last year for the same reason. Cracked a few boxes, and the collation is comically fun. 4 boxes opened, something like 50 Dan McGwires, and no Favres (or the 1000 stripe) yet. Black, you need any of the smaller stripes?
    I picked it up for a very reasonable price at the end of the show...It was a 10 box case btw
  • lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭
    I've been meaning to build sets of the smaller stripes from the collegiate football set, but set it aside awhile ago. I have lots to trade if someone else is also trying to build the smaller stripe sets. I have much less of the higher stripes, but have a fair amount. If anyone is interested, PM me your need lists. I'll try to dig them up and see if I have any. I have a fair amount of NFL stripes that I could trade for collegiate as well.

• << <i>Nice pickup - I grabbed a couple of cases of this last year for the same reason. Cracked a few boxes, and the collation is comically fun. 4 boxes opened, something like 50 Dan McGwires, and no Favres (or the 1000 stripe) yet. Black, you need any of the smaller stripes? >>

I only need the following smaller stripes from the Collegiate series:

5 stripes: 22, 22A
    10 stripes: 1, 1A, 15, 22, 22A
    20 stripes: 1A, 15, 15A, 22A, 27, 89, 119

Everything else is 50 stripe or higher.
  • mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    cool, I'll take a look. What are the 'A's, by the way? Are there variations in this product?
    I opened a single box (not from the sealed case). I will see if I have any of those cards.
  • Card numbers 1, 15, and 22 were the redemption cards (surprise cards) 1A, 15A, and 22A were the cards you received from wild card if you redeemed the redepmtion card (Russel Maryland, Rocket Ismail, and Todd Lyght).

If you sent in a #1 5 stripe card, you would receive a Todd Lyght 5 stripe back. If you sent in a #15 1000 stripe, you would receive a 1000 stripe Russell Maryland card, etc etc.