Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1989 Upper Deck Grading Question

I have been opening and accumulating quite a bit of 89 Upper Deck star cards (Griffey, Johnson, Smoltz, Ryan's, Biggio) over the last few months. I have accumulated alot of these cards, and I really want to self sub my own Griffey PSA 10. I have several copies that are really really nice, but have pieces of the hologram missing or very O/C on the back. How does PSA view the hologram on the back of the card? Does this detract from the grade? How much detraction is there for cards missing pieces of the hologram?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    The sad part is, it probably just depends.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • im not sure how PSA handles the hologram issues that so many of the Griffey's have, but BGS pounds the CRAP out of the hologram. ive seen Griffey's with literally 10/10/10/8.5(surface)
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    From what I've seen with others, and even experienced once myself (which led me to just give up and buy an already slabbed PSA 10)...

An otherwise flawless card, but with hologram issues... get's put in a PSA 8 slab image
  • saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭
    I remember a SMR article about the guy who built the all PSA 10 set a few years back and it was mentioned in the article that chipped holograms will prevent you form getting a 10.
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Before sending them in, I recommend going on ebay and doing searches and comparing yours with the one already slabbed with a 10. Thats what I usually do before submitting so I can compare to see what I should be expecting.

Ive self submitted 2. One came back a 9 and the other an 8. I just said "forget it" and happened to purchase one off a board member for $200. Great considering that the average now falls at around $280.

Matt, if Im not mistaken, didnt you have one that you were asking for $250 a few months back along with a bunch of other cards?
  • hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    I recall in the late 90s PSA would ding not only a chipped hologram but also a badly off center one. Not sure if they still do this.
  • JustinsShoeboxJustinsShoebox Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    My last 89 UD Griffey I had submitted that popped a 10 had a well centered hologram (comparatively speaking) and I got 320.00 for that card.

I believe the hologram does matter a bit. When buying, I also look at the hologram location and condition in addition to the card.

Justin
  • MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭

<< <i>Matt, if Im not mistaken, didnt you have one that you were asking for $250 a few months back along with a bunch of other cards? >>

Yes, I have a few of PSA 10's of both the Griffey and Johnson, but I want to self submit a PSA 10 for both of them. Have some sure fire 10's based on the front of the card, but they have hologram issues.

Thanks for the responses.
  • If you have any pretensions to a PSA 10 then the hologram must be pristine.

I had a 1990 Ryan (no stripe) Ryan graded PSA 10 less than a month ago and would
    not have submitted it otherwise.

If there is any doubt whatsoever don't submit. And you won't be disappointed.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the PSA 10 collector he didn't exist.

DaveB in St.Louis