Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Help me put a value estimate on this 1911 Caballito peso, please.

I was recently and unexpectedly (to my surprise and delight) offered this coin out of the blue.

It was put on the table by an anonymous lurker, for my "Operation Paperclip" trading game over on the Swaps & Giveaways forum.

I say "delight" because it's a quantum leap over what was on the table over there, even if we figure it at melt!

I'm not looking to sell it, obviously- it's for the trading thread only- but I do need to declare a value for trading purposes.

So what fairer way to do that than a poll?

You see, it's in a "problem" slab (but hey, who's gonna look a gift horse in the mouth, right? Get it? Horse? Ha.)

Anyway, these have .7859 oz of silver, so even at melt value, it's worth more than the current swap over on Paperclip.

And I think, problem slab or not, this is worth quite a bit more than melt. Hey, it's a popular type. And it's in plastic.

My digital Krause (a few years old) says $75.00 in XF and $200.00 in UNC.

So help me put a ballpark trade value on it as-is, please.

I'll go with whatever the forum consensus is after the poll has exceeded 20 votes.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well,love the design & too bad they couldn't have kept it a bit nicer. The strike is usually awful on these as well, so nice ones worth a premium & this one lesser. Well hopefully you got a good price...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I won't be getting any price on it, really, as it's going down the trading chain.

Agreed that it could be nicer, with the polishing and all, but hey, it's being offered in trade for a common VG+ Barber quarter and a Cheerios cent, fer cryin' out loud! It is what it is, and what it is is a really generous trade up.

And the donor doesn't even want the Barber quarter and Cheerios cent. Those will be rolled into a giveaway over there. He just wanted to jump start Operation Paperclip because he said he enjoys watching. (He's a bit of the strong, silent type. Seems to be a lot of silent good guys lurking lately, huh.)

Of course he does become eligible in the year-end drawing when all the trades are done, to win half my proceeds. If his number is drawn then, I will insist he take the money. If enough people kick the trades up a little bit each time, that could be something. I don't expect too many people to be this generous, though, and I was not soliciting outright donations over there. But since it's to everybody's potential benefit in the end, who am I to refuse such a generous trade?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
    For the record, my guesstimate was in the $60-65 bracket. As of this post, me and the other person who chose that are tied with the two who went for the $80-85 bracket.

• jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I went $20-25...but that's because I want it !image
    Tsk, tsk. No fair jiggering the poll! image

Well, OK, since everybody gets one vote, I can live with whatever. It's not like I paid for this coin or anything.

Like my Roman capricorn ring, it just sorta fell outta the sky.

Six more votes and the poll results stand.

Try not to be TOO Scroogey, y'all, eh? Think dispassionately. image

Edit- but don't be too kind, either. I want an honest assessment.

• bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Polished & all its a pretty coin!
    I think there were 17 votes when I finally went off to bed. The $30-35 bracket was in the majority with 5 votes at the time.

I intended to end the poll when it hit 21 votes, but since I went off to beddy-bye and return to find 33 votes, I'm late.

Interestingly, with 33 votes, there is now a tie between two categories. Seven votes for $30-35 plus seven votes for $50-55.

<< <i>Total Votes: 33

$20-25 (around melt)- I am a cruel, Scroogelike person
    3 (votes) 9.09 (%)
    $30-35 (melt plus $10 or so for the slab)- I'm a little stingy
    7 (votes) 21.21 (%)
    $40-45
    3 (votes) 9.09 (%)
    $50-55
    7 (votes) 21.21 (%)
    $60-65
    4 (votes) 12.12 (%)
    $70-75 (around Krause XF price)
    2 (votes) 6.06 (%)
    $80-85
    3 (votes) 9.09 (%)
    $90-95
    0 (votes) 0.00 (%)
    $100-105
    0 (votes) 0.00 (%)
    $110-115
    0 (votes) 0.00 (%)
    $120-125
    0 (votes) 0.00 (%)
    $130-135
    0 (votes) 0.00 (%)
    $140-145
    0 (votes) 0.00 (%)
    $150-155
    1 (votes) 3.03 (%)
    $160-165
    0 (votes) 0.00 (%)
    $170-175
    0 (votes) 0.00 (%)
    $180-185
    0 (votes) 0.00 (%)
    $190-195
    0 (votes) 0.00 (%)
    $200-205 (around Krause UNC price)- I'm a little nuts
    0 (votes) 0.00 (%)
    $210 or more- I'm a little nuts AND legally blind
    0 (votes) 0.00 (%)
    I don't know enough about the type (or just show me the results)
    3 (votes) 9.09 (%) >>

This is all pretty academic at this point, as I've accepted a trade for this coin. It's a slabbed (1899-O PCGS MS63) Morgan dollar, worth anywhere between $58 and $72, depending on which source you use. So despite the poll results, the Caballito traded in about the ballpark I thought it might. The person who took it on voted in the $50-55 bracket here, I believe.