Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Older ANA small slab holders......any premium?

Comments

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks to be properly graded to me. They sometimes command a premium around here, but for the most part I would say not really. They just are not that scarce
    yet. I like those old holders myself but do not overpay for them if I can help it... certainly not for anything too common.
    Their grading standards from what I've seen have mostly been consistant with PCGS & NGC but, as you know there are overgraded and undergraded
    coins in every holder. I would leave it in there personaly.
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    My experience is that most of these very early ANACS slabs will cross at grade to PCGS --- but not all.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    Many of these early ANACS slabs are graded very conservatively and whenever I see them I always take a look especially if the coin is nice and the price is cheap due to it not being PCGS.
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steph . .

You have sound advice above. My take . . . just as a holder collector (and ersatz numismatist).

The "alphanumeric" ANA Small Slab you have is obviously one of the first two generations of ANA holders and in general, grading was a touch more conservative (with all the caveats of "look at the coin", "there are bad coins in all holders", and "all you holder collectors are vile blasphemists who have no position or standing on these Boards and should all be banished to some deserted isle where you can eat each other and die slow deaths"). Later holders went to purely numeric cert numbers and correspondingly different grading standards.

Your answer? No. I have never paid ANY premium for alphanumeric holders although when the coins inside are solid, they have easily crossed for me to PCGS. I sent in my early Lincoln keys. The 09-SVDB stayed at 64RD to 64RD. By the way, an ANACS holder at one time in that grade was going for about $700 bucks while PCGS was $2400. Score! The 14D went from VF35 to XF40, and the 22PL went from VF35 to XF40. But, they were solid coins.

I don't play too many games at shows, but I WILL check out alphanumeric Morgans in MS65. Many times I can pick them up at a discount due to the ANACS holder, but many will cross, and occasionally, one of them will 66. Just fun . . . I am not trying to make my retirement out of them.

Bottom line . . . I have never been asked to pay a premium at any point for the alphanumerics, but I surely look at them to see if there is a solid coin inside.

Drunner
    (Doily Slut)

• Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    The slab is not worth a premium but the coins are often worth a second look.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like your coin just fine in that holder. I don't think it's worth the expense to get it regraded. The early ANACS slabs are getting scarcer as more and more are being destroyed. I've never seen a properly graded coin in an early ANACS slab sell for a discount by a coin dealer because of the slab it's in.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭
    I have two commems in the alpha numerical holders. Didn't pay a premium and at this time don't have plans to crack. I like those little holders. image
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd leave it in the old lil holder.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    daOnlyBGdaOnlyBG Posts: 1,060 ✭✭
    I haven't paid for the premium, but I have definitely been offered a substantial amount for it. Unless the buyers were truly just trying to play negotiating games, each offered to pay an extra $100. To my knowledge, ANA/ANACS used that small "ANA" holder for only the first 3-4 weeks of grading, and then the company moved onto other holders. Thus, you're not likely to see them too often around at coin shows, but there are always 1-2 lying around somewhere.

What I can attest to, though, is that the grading standards were pretty high at that time, and if CAC did sticker ANACS holders, a ton of these ANA holders would get gold CAC stickers. They definitely warrant a second (or third) look, and more often than not, are quite undergraded.
    Successful BST transactions with: blu62vette, Shortgapbob, Dolan, valente151, cucamongacoin, ajaan

Interests:
    Pre-Jump Grade Project
    Toned Commemoratives

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file