Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

18th century stuivers ... FAKE REPLICA photos

My latest consignment arrived today from Sweden: two bonk bars and four stuiver coins from Ceylon. Dated late 1700's. They look VG to me, but I'm not sure. I'm going to get some opinions at the show today (I'm in Knoxville).

The coins are thick and heavy! Much more so then I had expected. But I'm especially excited about the bonk bars, because it's my first transaction with this type (bar money):

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Comments

• worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    The bar money is uber cool; I have never seen one of those before. Thanks for sharing.
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Hard to refrain from "in-hand" comments with pieces like these. I will just say that my favorite aspect of dealing is being able to "handle" cool stuff that I wouldn't have access to otherwise ... It's a priveledge that I don't take lightly.

At a recent show, Steve Damron and I were ogling a gem British Trade Dollar that he had picked up for a client, it had like ten counterstamps. It was the coolest example either of us had ever seen. That's what dealing is all about IMHO.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    Very nice indeed. Those bonk bars are both scarce and extremely impressive.
    Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool, never seen these before.
  • AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to say, but these are replicas / fake bonk bars ( Larijn in dutch) made for tourists and sold, amongst other places in the port of Galle Ceylon
    by local streetsellers a.k as mister wannasee.
    You can buy them overthere for $ 5 a piece, offered on eBay and other online sites they make $ 50 - $100

the real ones are very scarce today, and make $1000 or more.

collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
    Here's another replika of a VOC bonk bar , these ones were a gift and came inside large coffee tins of the Van Riebeeck coffee company South Africa (1952)
    sometimes offered on eBay with the replika stamp filled away.

collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
    Andres,

No need for consolation; they are not mine no money lost. Received for consignment and posted here to gather opinions from Dutch collectors such as yourself. So thank you, and great photos!

Since my OP on Friday, other forumites and I have noticed some red flags. Even though these bars do not resemble anything in Andres' photos, his post confirms. Here are the red flags I found during my examination:

- when held side-by-side, both bars share too many dimensional characteristics and strike characteristics, including having exactly the same die rotation (as if they were poured into a mold) and matching flaws
    - Font on some letters doesn't match the image in Krause
    - patina and colour not appropriate
    - weight doesn't feel right (looking back, this was the first red flag which I even mentioned in my OP)

Now I must tell Mr. Avesta Sweden that his grandfather's collection isn't worth the return postage image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

These type of bonk bars should weight between 54 and 64 grammes
    the lenght can vary between 58 mm & 105 mm
    they were made out of japanese copper bars between 1783 - 1795 in Colombo / Jafna and Galle on the Island of Ceylon (Sri Lanka)

the original are indeed hammered struck , not poured in a mold as these fake ones
    the VOC logo and the 4 3/4 stiver stamps stand vertical on the original ones , not horizontal as with the fake ones.

value is between 50 - 100 USD (not mentioning they are fake)as with most listings you see on eBay
    with a remark that these are fakes, replica's or modern issues, price will be in the 20-40 USD range
    there will be buyers , because the originals are rare , scarce and pricey.

NB: there are also 6 Stiver bonk bars, marked VI & St , longer and heavier , and even more scarce then the 4 3/4 Stiver bars,
    At this time, no replika or fake 6 stiver bars are known to me.

I'm surprised the fakes would go for that much. I didn't even bother looking them up because eBay no longer permits the sale of fakes as of February 2012 (right?) and I don't feel like risking my account status.

I might entertain offers outside of my eBay store but first I must inform the client.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Great thread, thanks!
    Becky
    I wonder if you sold these bonk bars , Loch Ness
    I picked this one up on a local site, looks OK to me.

• silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    interesting to say the least

I have a 1826s Netherlands indie 1/4 stuiver in AG condition

i'm unsure if it's a copy or real bought it at the local coin shop some years ago

Its the real McCoy , silverpop
  • silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thanks for the info Andres image

@Andres said:
    I wonder if you sold these bonk bars , Loch Ness
    I picked this one up on a local site, looks OK to me.

I did not. Ultimately decided against it. Yours are lovely! Their color is much more my style.

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE